Bluenose - Robertd [COMPLETED BUILD]

Assembled the Bowsprit Bitts and Samson Post , painted in flat white and leave it to dry before placing on deck , I painted the deck with a clear Marine Varnish ( to keep it nautical ) installed the main rail and buffalo rail as well as the Fluke Falls , to morrow the Monkey rail before painting , not sure if I paint the deck beams , I like the sort of grey / tan look at present and leave it natural , took advise from Dean and leave the hull painting till the deck is done

32F5558B-D55A-42DF-A846-15735F3FE0B7.jpeg9770CA06-8BEC-4DC8-B887-97A5FF5B0855.jpeg95371D99-7F72-4AE7-B273-A36AAA28E767.jpeg

Coated the hull with sanding filler and drilled the hole for the Hawse hole on both sides , used the copper scrawl as template for the correct position , drilled a 3mm hole and filed to finish , in the meantime I finished the windlass and started on the chain plates ( test only ) , as the starboard top will be painted , smoothed it and coated out with sanding filler , the Port side another story , I had to really smooth it and had to use a sanding filler as well , to leave as it is with varnish is not an option so will paint it , ( She will look beautiful I can assure you )the top planking a dark Blue/Black and Red Boot top with a beautiful white water line , just above the scuppers a very thin yellow line starting at the scrawl , this before the chain plates are secured , they eventually have the same colour as the hull underneath , well that‘s the progress as of now

7548F7F3-0773-41BC-8014-950790869282.jpegE54E4B43-67B9-434A-8447-5E6C73532162.jpeg0957FF13-E707-4BF5-B918-4B87D58E52C1.jpegB139FFF3-E8A9-45ED-8373-9A71A870F618.jpeg

Dead Eyes and Chain Plates SB side in place , the slots for the plates especially on the stern section should be dead on and accurate to slide through the plates otherwise you have problems , I will keep the Brass scrawl and name plates also aft , hence keeping the white railing as is , the chain plates on the Port side just placed for proper set up ( not fixed as such ) I also paint the plates prior slotting as not to mess up the yellow line underneath , I am waiting for my EZ lock Dremel sanding disks to arrive , hopefully today so I can continue on the other side , I will stick to a white waterline properly placed hence no waterline on the open Starboard side , that stays as is .
I didn’t glue the Chain plates on the Hull , this would mess up the paintwork , drilled the holes with a 1mm bit and inserted the CA glue touched up nail

4E4D0E49-A7FD-400C-8417-A9570DBE41A2.jpeg70B50AC2-ADE8-4D11-8BD2-EE62137E1BC3.jpeg3F17E795-7578-4ACC-A474-DA16EAB52BC7.jpeg

Dead Eyes and Chain Plates SB side in place , the slots for the plates especially on the stern section should be dead on and accurate to slide through the plates otherwise you have problems , I will keep the Brass scrawl and name plates also aft , hence keeping the white railing as is , the chain plates on the Port side just placed for proper set up ( not fixed as such ) I also paint the plates prior slotting as not to mess up the yellow line underneath , I am waiting for my EZ lock Dremel sanding disks to arrive , hopefully today so I can continue on the other side , I will stick to a white waterline properly placed hence no waterline on the open Starboard side , that stays as is .
I didn’t glue the Chain plates on the Hull , this would mess up the paintwork , drilled the holes with a 1mm bit and inserted the CA glue touched up nail
I thought a bit of our Pittwater and the view of Scotland Island in the background .

Real busy today , sanded down the SB side , as mentioned before I paint this side , and added the yellow trim and water line , in the meantime built the Fore Mast , just make sure the shroud supports facing the right way , as well as the top mast , heaps of sanding needed also the keel fit.
Your are making progress, going into the air!
The yellow trim and white waterline accents her nice shapes.
Regards, Peter

Finished the chain plates on the Port side , painted with a Tamiya Blue/Black coat and a Matt clear finish afterwards , started on the masts, next will be the rudder assembly
Personal choice to use nails to secure the chain plates instead of gluing them on the Hull , I just like it that way not only that it would mess up the paintwork , the nails however are inserted with a little CA glue

Good progress Robert! I think you’re previous BN build will benefit you when it comes time to do the rigging. It’s all new to me...lol. ;)
That’s where the fun starts Dean! I am looking at various sites to get the best results , for instance the white and black banded trestletrees , a little more interesting , yes the Windlass , ( That’s where my eyesight disappoint me) and I leave it as it is , also I don’t glue the masts in place as yet , as there are always more add ons , blocks etc , a lot easier when the masts are out, I am very impressed with your model , by any means I am not flawless , mistakes being made
I just noticed I messed up the Main Mast fife rail ...should have been the other way round , anyway I managed to rectify that thank goodness Without major hassles, another job for tomorrow , have to start cooking ( Yes I am the El Supremo Cook here at home LOL )

Last edited:
That’s where the fun starts Dean! I am looking at various sites to get the best results , for instance the white and black banded trestletrees , a little more interesting , yes the Windlass , ( That’s where my eyesight disappoint me) and I leave it as it is , also I don’t glue the masts in place as yet , as there are always more add ons , blocks etc , a lot easier when the masts are out, I am very impressed with your model , by any means I am not flawless , mistakes being made
I just noticed I messed up the Main Mast fife rail ...should have been the other way round , anyway I managed to rectify that thank goodness Without major hassles, another job for tomorrow , have to start cooking ( Yes I am the El Supremo Cook here at home LOL )

3859EF42-1C3A-4792-B4C4-9164845F5271.jpeg

Back