Kit review BLUENOSE SCHOONER POF MODEL -1:72 – YuanQing Models

Dear Gents - I am back so let us look at the stern issue.

FACT: The brass name plate is historically incorrect.

View attachment 192533

View attachment 192534

This picture indicates two locations:

The White indicates the location of the original Bluenose's name.
The Yellow indicates the location of the Bluenose II replica's name.

View attachment 192538

The original Bluenose. The lettering is in white and contains only the words BLUENOSE, the MASONIC SYMBOL & LUNENBERG all in one line. (The NS for Nova Scotia is omitted).

View attachment 192541

Bluenose II (courtesy of Halifaxphoto). The lettering is in gold and contains the words BLUENOSE II with LUNENBURG, N.S. underneath.

I think I speak for everyone if I say we stick to the original option with white lettering.

Dave Lester - who originally explored the connection between the Masons and Bluenose - built the Model Shipways Bluenose in 1:64 scale here on SOS. Dave is unfortunately no longer a member of SOS - neither do I know where to find him to obtain permission to use his photo. However, since the picture is still available on SOS, I am sure that it will be OK seeing that we are using it for a good cause here.

View attachment 192544

This is David's model of the Bluenose with the original lettering and masonic symbol. (Photograph by David Lester)

View attachment 192545

This is the lettering that David created. (Photograph by David Lester)

On the picture this looks good, but he did mention that the letters were very small. Obviously in 1:72 scale, they are even going to be smaller.

Is everyone happy with this?
Thank you for the great review Heinrich. I would like to give an opinion on the name plate issue that has been discussed. I have built many paper models and I believe the name can be fixed easy by printing the name on paper. Then the strip with letters can be cut out and glued around the back of the boat. It will follow the curves nicely. Paper with wood glue applied when dried has the properties and the look of wood. It then can be finished with a matt coating. Would look more appropriate, realistic and nicely scaled than a name plate or photo etch and is a cheap fix. Different early versions of the name can be printed on one sheet of paper for a builder to choose.

Last edited:
Addresses: Gentlemen - my apologies, but I do need your telephone numbers (landline) as well for the shipping.

@flyboy441 ; @PT-2 ; @KentM - I have received yours.

@DonRobinson ; @coalman ; @marter1229 ; @Canoe21 ; @Davefx35 - Can you please send me your telephone numbers

@Jim Nunn ; @donfarr ; @Virtakuono ; @Butterfingers ; @Gregoryhansel - Can you please PM me your delivery addresses and phone numbers.

Thank you for your co-operation gentlemen.
Heinrich
Have edited original message re address

@Canoe21 ; @DonRobinson ; @marter1229 ; @donfarr ; @KentM ; @PT-2 ; @coalman ; @Davefx35 ; @Virtakuono ; @Jim Nunn ; @Butterfingers ; @flyboy441

@Gregoryhansel ; @Peter Voogt ; @sparks ; @Stargazer

Dear Gents. I am pleased to announce the shipping costs for the Bluenose. This took a full two days' negotiations with all the role players to finalize. The variances between the various freight forwarders to the different countries were so big that in the end, we decided to use three companies. To put your minds at ease and to facilitate easy tracking we have only chosen well-known and reputable companies to which entrust the "Queen of the North Atlantic"! The prices in RMB (Chinese currency) have been confirmed so if there is a variance on the day of shipping it will only be because of a different RMB to USD exchange rate. Prices will always be communicated on the day of ordering, but this gives you a very accurate idea. @Peter Voogt and @sparks , I will request quotes for the Netherlands and Philippines tomorrow.

Shipping.png

Thank Heinrich. So this brings the Bluenose Kit and the shipping to Canada at $238.00 USD. When can I order, My Admiral just ok this amount for my Christmas gift.
Regards Lawrence

Last edited:
The font and text with Masonic Logo by Lister demonstrates what is feasible and I will be following. Rich
Thank you for the great review Heinrich. I would like to give an opinion on the name plate issue that has been discussed. I have built many paper models and I believe the name can be fixed easy by printing the name on paper. Then the strip with letters can be cut out and glued around the back of the boat. It will follow the curves nicely. Paper with wood glue applied when dried has the properties and the look of wood. It then can be finished with a matt coating. Would look more appropriate, realistic and nicely scaled than a name plate or photo etch and is a cheap fix. Different early versions of the name can be printed on one sheet of paper for a builder to choose.
y

@Canoe21 ; @DonRobinson ; @marter1229 ; @donfarr ; @KentM ; @PT-2 ; @coalman ; @Davefx35 ; @Virtakuono ; @Jim Nunn ; @Butterfingers ; @flyboy441

Dear Gents. I am pleased to announce the shipping costs for the Bluenose. This took a full two days' negotiations with all the role players to finalize. The variances between the various freight forwarders to the different countries were so big that in the end, we decided to use three companies. To put your minds at ease and to facilitate easy tracking we have only chosen well-known and reputable companies to which entrust the "Queen of the North Atlantic"! The prices in RMB (Chinese currency) have been confirmed so if there is a variance on the day of shipping it will only be because of a different RMB to USD exchange rate. Prices will always be communicated on the day of ordering, but this gives you a very accurate idea. @Peter Voogt and @sparks , I will request quotes for the Netherlands and Philippines tomorrow.

View attachment 193378
I will have the locker for my shekels ready to be raided upon notice that the Bluenose is leaving her berthing. Thanks for the instructions on how that exchange is to be made. Rich (PT-2)

View attachment 193378

Thanks Heinrich,
Mike

So this morning I was browsing ZHL.s website, when I came across this.

微信图片_20201118081941.jpg

They are offering Bluenose at a marked up price of 268 USD !!!

Please do NOT be confused or misled by the above - the official price supplied by YuanQing to SOS Members is and remains:

Pricing.png

Heinrich, I was going to post the same, as I got the ZHL YouTube video a few minutes ago.

YQ offer " through you" is Excellent !!

Well done Heinrich!!!
Daniel

Ps: now we need to see YQ other kits, "through you". If I remember you said it was "Trident" the brand name.

@Dematosdg Hi Daniel . Nope - YuanQing is completely independent from anyone else. Trident is a completely separate and different company - I have nothing to do with them!

Since I posted the kit review, YuanQing has already delivered 90 x kits of Bluenose to the Chinese market so the focus is for now very much on that and on establishing the brand name and kit in the West!

However, the first steps have already been taken with regards to future models; so just watch this space! ROTF

Back