BLUENOSE - YuanQuing by Donn Farr

Hello Don, I'm happy to see you start your build log.
Heinrich is giving you some good advice so I won't intervene after this :).
In your pictures I see some of your pins are correctly placed and others are not. Let's have a look at #8 the one you were first working on. If you look at the diagram starting at the top left side of the frame, follow the line down to the bottom. You will now see at the bottom there are three lines the one you are following, representing the edge of your frame piece, and two other lines. So the middle line is the line you need to line your pieces up to, the inside line is representing the laser etched bevelling line. the other line, the outside line, is the outer edge of the back piece. If you look at the "back" piece diagram, at the top of the "back piece" you will notice a slight overhang where it sits on top of the front piece, this overhang is also shown on the front view. So when you glue the front and back sections together they will not line up but there will be slight overhangs both on the outside and the inside that will need to be bevelled smooth.
If you feel you must use pins, clamps are so much better, try placing the piece on top of the diagram first then place your pins around it.
I hope I did not confuse you with all of this, I will now sit back and watch you do your magic!!:)

Hello Don, Both Heinrich and Peter, and Don gave you excellent build information. Sorry that I did not catch you using wax paper, that sure is a no-no that is for sure. I do just about all of my ship building sitting down, much easier in the legs. May I suggest that you rise your chair up a couple of inches or just sit apon a cushion, this will give you a much better line of sight over your work bench.
Regards Lawrence

Don let's continue from the last picture. The centre piece has been clamped in position and we have dry-fitted the left-hand side (as we look at the picture). When you are happy that it is all good, remove the loose piece and apply glue.

微信图片_20201230003727.jpg
Glue applied to edge of side frame.

微信图片_20201230003609.jpg

With the side-piece pressed against the centre piece the excess glue is wiped away (I use my finger) ...

微信图片_20201230003557.jpg

... and the clamp is applied. Now the reason for the offset centre clamp becomes clear - it is make room for the clamp that will be used to secure the left-hand piece to the centre notch.

微信图片_20201230003735.jpg

And now you simply repeat the process for the right-hand side piece! Leave the whole assembly to dry - I leave it for about 4 hours, but that is probably overkill.

The best of luck and show us what your completed rear Frame #31 looks like when finished.

OK PREPARING FRAME 31 USING NO PINS I HOPE I HAD A PIES OF CRAFT PLY THAT I CUT TO SIZE OF THE PAPER FRAME DWG, WHAT I THEN DID WAS GET A CENTERLINE ESTABLISHED, I CAN TRIM THE SIDES OF THE FRAME DWGS TO GET A COUPLE OF MED. SIZE IRWIN CLAMPS FOR THE SIDE COMENTS THEN I WILL COMMENCE THANK YOU VERY MUCH ALL, AND YES THE PROFESSOR KNOWS HOW TO DO IT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Attachments

• 20201229_195528.jpg
    20201229_195528.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201229_195809.jpg
    20201229_195809.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 16
HI HEINRICH, TOMORROW AM, NOW TO WORK ON FRONT FOR FRAME NO 31 DOC ON HIS GRANDO X SECTION SHOWS CLAMPS THAT SHOULD WORK FOR THE FRONT OF BLUENOSE FRAMES WILL ORDER 4 OF THESE I HAVE SIMILAR ONES BUT SMALLER THESE SHOULD WORK THANKS AGAIN GOOD FRIEND DON

Don I would really like you to do the back frame first and finish it so that we can see if we are on track. Let's focus on one thing and one thing only. The front frame I do slightly differently.

OK TOOK HEINRICHS ADVICE ONLY THE REA OF NO 31 DRY FITTED, WILL GLUE IT SHORTLY, QUESTIONS ABOUT HOLDING I AM USING WELL BOND FOR GLUE, WHEN DRY IS THE REAR TO FLIMSY DOES IT NEED TO BE CLAMPED UNTIL THE REST IS COMPLETED WHAT I HAVE DONE IN THE PAST IS PUT SOME CA ON THE REVERSE SIDE (HIDDEN) ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS, LET ME HERE . GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

OK TOOK A LOT OF TIME WITH THIS FRAME FIRST ONE FOR BLUENOSE AND FIRST WITHOUT PINS IN A LONG TIME GLUED TOGETHER WILL WAIT FOR HEINRICH FOR 31 FRONT, MADE ANOTHER FRAME BOARD SO IN FUTURE I CAN PROCEED FASTER WHILE GLUE DRIES WILL WAIT AT LEAST 4 HRS ON THIS ONE USING WELL BOND GLUE STILL VERY MUCH CONCERNED WHEN TAKEN OFF FRAME BOARD FOR HOLDING TOGETHER. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Attachments

• 20201230_194501.jpg
    20201230_194501.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 13
Back