Bomb vessel cross section - scale 3/8 or 1:32

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Sponsor

oh the zen of modeling a break from researching, time to focus and cut some wood

each and every step of model building requires some pre planning, you can fly by the seat of your pants and correct as you go, some plan every move every cut. I am someplace in between the two. This is what i needed to end up with

frame1.jpg

and here is how I planned it, first i found center on each side of the pit, the red X now i took a measurement from the drawings and from the centers measured out in each direction. This gave me the point of the corner braces and each one is exactly in the same place. If your going full build the ends are morticed into the main beams. Here you can see i took the short cut and butted the ends to the beams.

frame2.jpg

the two ends are flat on the top you will see why later in the build. I realized right from the start you can not place the sides into the pit because the ends are angled, so they have to slide down from the top. Keeping everything in place proved to be difficult so i glued these ends in place.frame3.jpg

Staff member
Sponsor

if the pit were square I could cut the ends of the side pieces at a 45 and slip them into place. But because of the angles braces in the corners I have to deal with a weird angle. I could not just set the angle of the table because each fit between the sides was ever so slightly different so I went free hand with the angle. One thing to remember is that angles still has to be level from top to bottom and at a 90 to the bottom and top. You can't hold the side piece free hand because it would wobble.
here was my solution the piece is clamped so everything is tight and square. Now all i have to do is ever to slightly touch the end to the disk and little by little adjust the angle.

N2191.jpg

N2190.jpg

Last edited:

donfarr

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

MY MOUTH WATERS EVERY TIME I SEE OR HERE OF THIS X SECTION, IS IT GOING TO HAPPEN AS ALWAYS YOU TUTORIAL IS RIGHT ON. THANKS Don

Staff member
Sponsor

sides of the mortar pit form a coaming around the pit

sides4.jpg

here you can see all 8 sides cut and fit, this took a bit of tweaking to get all the angles right. i had to redo a couple sides.
There is a slot cut along the top for the planking. i finished the top 3 sides and the bottom 3 still need to be finished. This was not that easy to do and get everything lined up,even and fitting tight.

sides5.jpg

Last edited:

donfarr

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

GREAT DAVE, ANY CHANCE SOON TO BE A KIT, GREAT EXPLANATION AND HOW TO, GREAT FOR THE HOBBY OTHERS SHOULD TRY TO BETTER THE HOBBY, TAKE HEED ALL. Don

Staff member
Sponsor

the actual model building is done mostly with hand tools and small hobby size power tools.

the slot was cut by first setting up a make shift jig. The T square just happened to be the right thickness for the slot so i clamped it to a piece of glass. By running a knife along the top i can score the wood. For this build I am using Poplar a wood harder than Basswood but much softer than Boxwood.

side10.jpg

once I have a nice sharp line I go over it several times to deepen it. Here is where your choice of wood makes a difference very hard woods like Boxwood or Hard Maple make cutting with a knife difficult.

sides8.jpg

I like to clamp my work in a vice it help to grip the work in progress. Some say i would never use a soft wood because you can not get a clean sharp edge. Well i seem to be able to get a clean shape edge.

sides9.jpg

stuglo

This is different and very interesting. The evolution and thought processes are very instructive. Would certainly be high on my wish list as a "kit"/semi scratch build. Thank you

donfarr

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

ME TOO, THE HISTORY OF THIS PROJECT IS ALSO A story unto itself would take many pages, JUST SOON I HOPE. Don

Norway

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Dave, kan du fortelle meg hvilke våpen jeg trenger for 1/32 Blandford og 1/48 Rattlesnake,
Jeg ser deg selge våpen på hjemmesiden til tømmerhagen, samme sted som jeg kjøpte Rattlesnake-planene.
Beklager å bryte inn denne tråden.
På forhånd takk, hilsen Knut

Dave, can you tell me what weapons I need for 1/32 Blandford and 1/48 Rattlesnake,
I see you selling guns on the lumberyard homepage, the same place I bought the Rattlesnake plans.
Sorry to break this thread.
Thanks in advance, greeting Knut