Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 - Cross Section - 1:32 Scale - Scratch Build by DocBlake [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Uwe. This 4 pounder is, in fact, a “long gun”, to differentiate these carriage mounted cannons from swivel guns and carronades!
You are correct - I mixed it up with the "ling nine" used as a chaser with a longer barrel at the bow - and the Granado nevere chased another ship

I finished up the main hatch by adding the eyebolts and rings to the covering boards. Both are made of .032" diameter brass rod, blackened with Brass Black.

The eyebolts are made with a jewelry making tool known as a "looper". The rings are annealed brass rod, using a torch, which is blackened, then wrapped around an appropriate sized drill bit and cut free with a wire cutter.

240.JPG241.JPG242.JPG243.JPG

Single and double blocks made from scratch. The wood is swiss pear finished with boiled linseed oil. The single blocks are 1/4" long (8" in scale) and 3/16" wide with a 1/8" thickness. The double blocks are 1/4" long, 3/16" wide and 3/16" thick. The sheave holes are drilled with a #60 drill to accommodate .025" diameter gun tackle line. The penny gives size perspective.

245.JPG246.JPG

Single and double blocks made from scratch. The wood is swiss pear finished with boiled linseed oil. The single blocks are 1/4" long (8" in scale) and 3/16" wide with a 1/8" thickness. The double blocks are 1/4" long, 3/16" wide and 3/16" thick. The sheave holes are drilled with a #60 drill to accommodate .025" diameter gun tackle line. The penny gives size perspective.

View attachment 347052View attachment 347053
your Single and double blocks, looks very nice, well done my friend Okay :) Thumbsup

@DocBlake, are these the same measurements of the blocks on the cannons at Blandford, if so I can try one of the many conversion tables here
on SOS, or you can enter them in mm, not to bother, greetings Knut-

I am planning on casing the model!

Does anyone have any information on how the mortar was rigged?

There is nothing in Jeff's plans and nothing in Goodwin's book to guide the rigging. Obviously it involved block and tackle attached to the mortar bed and the walls of the mortar pit, but how many, and where were they placed?

Dave

Does anyone have any information on how the mortar was rigged?

There is nothing in Jeff's plans and nothing in Goodwin's book to guide the rigging. Obviously it involved block and tackle attached to the mortar bed and the walls of the mortar pit, but how many, and where were they placed?

I do not have the book with me in moment to check all drawings, but I found the plan of the mortar

skecth F1/2 is showing under "4" the four Ring bolts for the tackles installed at the mortar bed. "12" are only for lifting so usually not belayed
IMG-8861.jpg

Here you see my Granado mortar of my section model - I made in each center of the walls a ringbolt - so all together 8 ringbolts in the walls
with these locations and tackles with hooks you are able to turn the mortar with two tackles
as an example I made two green arrows, which would be the positions of the tackles to turn the mortar to the left
During shooting the two tackles would be left and right to fix the bed, so that it is not able to turn.

IMG-9034.jpg

Doc, Great pictures thru the entire build! I know accuracy is important, but we know that every Captain had his preferences on how a ship was rigged, decorated, and armored. So how do we build a historically accurate model unless we know the last ship captains preferences?

Back