Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 - Cross Section - 1:32 Scale - Scratch Build by DocBlake [COMPLETED BUILD]

Dave, you are a model making machine! And all of your builds of the highest quality. I need to know one secret. I own a few of the Artesania Latina scrapers. I have found them to be a bit flimsy. How were you able to use them effectively with a wood as hard as Ebony?

Here you are Kurt: https://www.micromark.com/Artesania-Latina-27300-Micro-Shapers-Set-A-3-Plates
https://www.micromark.com/Artesania-Latina-27301-Micro-Shapers-Set-B-3-Plates

2 sets of 3 plates each!

Ken. I use them like a cabinet scraper, pulling toward me. Take very light strokes. The two rails are each about 10". Cutting 4 rabbets took about 1-1/2 hours!

As I was working on them, I complained to my wife about how slowly things were going. "It's a good thing I'm as patient as I am..." I remarked. She was laughing so hard I thought she was going to pee her pants! LOL!

I fit the rails to the bulwarks and clamped them in place. I then drove a couple of little yellow nails to keep them aligned during the glue up. I used 15 minute Bob Smith Industries Epoxy. The photos show the curvature of the rails upward and inward moving aft. There is no poly on the exterior of the model, nor on the main deck or inboard bulwarks. That's why the colors look so washed out! The poly will resuscitate the wood!

227.JPG228.JPG229.JPG230.JPG231.jpg232.jpg

Very good work on the rails - not easy to bend correctly into these 3 dimensions, but you managed this problem it very well :cool:

Thanks Guys

I need opinions!

On the main rails, on either side of the entry steps and inboard ladders are two stanchions (circled in blue). I assume they have rings at the top to attach lines so that anyone boarding has something to use as a "hand rail" when climbing aboard. Jeff's plans don't include these, and I've not seen them on any of the section models out there. I assume they were removable and made of painted cast iron. Would there also have been ring bolts in the hull where the "X's" are on the photo, to attach the lower end of the hand ropes? Thoughts?

stanchions.jpg

Definitely no proof that it was done like this, but helping maybe to make a decision:

The Jotika Granado kit model is showing two ropes

Granado_Const062_lrg.jpg Granado_Const074_lrg.jpg

Granado_Const076_lrg.jpg Granado_Const077_lrg.jpg

I'm back at it, and started working on fitting the battle stations to the model. I'll show two long gun emplacements just as Jeff's plans call for. Then I realized there was a mistake on the plans! Jeff calls for the guns to be 12 pounders. Granado originally carried eight 4-pounders. The carriages I've built previously are too low for the gun ports!. I decided to scale the long guns Jeff designed for his Battle Station plans and scale them as 4-pounders. I like the style of these guns, also. I get tired of the saw tooth pattern on the brackets of classic English cannon carriages!

The first two photos are the 4-pounder carriage that were too short. The others are the final long guns for the model. No cap squares yet!

233.JPG234.JPG235.JPG236.JPG237.JPG238.JPG239.JPG

I'm back at it, and started working on fitting the battle stations to the model. I'll show two long gun emplacements just as Jeff's plans call for. Then I realized there was a mistake on the plans! Jeff calls for the guns to be 12 pounders. Granado originally carried eight 4-pounders. The carriages I've built previously are too low for the gun ports!. I decided to scale the long guns Jeff designed for his Battle Station plans and scale them as 4-pounders. I like the style of these guns, also. I get tired of the saw tooth pattern on the brackets of classic English cannon carriages!

The first two photos are the 4-pounder carriage that were too short. The others are the final long guns for the model. No cap squares yet!

View attachment 335156View attachment 335157View attachment 335158View attachment 335159View attachment 335160View attachment 335161View attachment 335162
the new 4-pounder carriage looks beautiful, well done my friend :) Thumbsup

Just a question. The carriages are made beautiful. But why you make 2 different types of carriage? The 4 pounders have a different look and are of a different time/country then the 12 pounders you made. (Round/straight bottom)
I could be wrong.

I am wondering now about this discussion, because especially for the HMS Granado we have the information given by Goodwin in his Anatomy book
Here are clearly either the muzzle, but also the carriage shown with all necessary data

IMG_42101.jpg

Jeff Staudt drew the plans for the Granado cross section, but he took many liberties with the Goodwin book, which, by the way, has differences from contemporary models that are out there. There are holes in everyone’s research and errors in all these plans. I chose the Staudt carriages because I think they look great. My model isn’t a historical reproduction because it’s based on plans/research that are flawed…including Godwin’s AOTS book and Jeff’s drawings.

Last edited:
Back