Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 - Cross Section - 1:32 Scale - Scratch Build by DocBlake [COMPLETED BUILD]

I'm back in the shipyard but there are still tons of things to do around the house and yard. Hard to find time for everything!

I cut the stock for the waterways. The two bevels (three, really) are a little tricky but they came out OK. The stock is a bit thick so soaking or using a clothing iron the bend the waterways to the narrowing beam at the aft of the model didn't work. My solution was a heat gun!

I put a scrap of plywood on the bench top, then the waterway stock, then another narrow piece of stock on top of that. I clamped the "sandwich to the bech top and used another C-clamp to pull the waterway into it's curve. With it in position, I heated the waterway for one minute with mu heat gun, aiming at the spot noted by the arrow. The plank stayed curved with no spring back!

137.jpg138.jpg139.jpg

I'm back in the shipyard but there are still tons of things to do around the house and yard. Hard to find time for everything!

I cut the stock for the waterways. The two bevels (three, really) are a little tricky but they came out OK. The stock is a bit thick so soaking or using a clothing iron the bend the waterways to the narrowing beam at the aft of the model didn't work. My solution was a heat gun!

I put a scrap of plywood on the bench top, then the waterway stock, then another narrow piece of stock on top of that. I clamped the "sandwich to the bech top and used another C-clamp to pull the waterway into it's curve. With it in position, I heated the waterway for one minute with mu heat gun, aiming at the spot noted by the arrow. The plank stayed curved with no spring back!

View attachment 234341View attachment 234342View attachment 234343
Following your log and this waterway bending example, thanks to your prior recommendations, has put it well into my mind to heat bend pieces to form rather than pushing and depending upon an adhesive to hold them in place which I used to do when learning "how to". Your work is an example for many of us on that learning tack. Thank you. Rich (PT-2)

I'm back at it! I just finished planking the inboard bulwark ceiling planks, then cut the gun ports and the sweep ports. There are very subtle treenails in place. I used birch toothpicks and they blended in well with the bloodwood planking.View attachment 241935View attachment 241936View attachment 241937
Your precise woodwork crafting is amazing in the consistency of the joinery. You have achieved an outstanding quality of the wood grain and tones with your finishing technique. Rich (PT-2)

I started work on framing in the mortar pit by milling the bulkhead blanks out of boxwood. There are eight bulkheads, each 3/16" thick. The fore and aft bulkheads have no rabbet along the top edge, while the port and starboard bulkheads and the diagonal bulkheads do. The rabbet on the diagonals is 5/64" X 5/64". The rabbet on the port/starboard bulkheads is 5/64" X 1/8". The diagonals have complex geometry, which I'll do using the disc sander. I don't think this kind of precision could be reasonably expected except by using Byrnes tools!

147.JPG148.JPG149.JPG150.JPG151.JPG

Looks like your after the proper angle of the dangle!

Keep up the great work and fine craftsmanship on this.

Can't wait to see what you come up with when finally done!

Back