brig Mercury

14 (26) may 1829 brig under the command of Lieutenant commander Alexander KAZARSKY won an unequal battle with two Turkish battleships-110 – gun "selimie" and 74-gun "real Bay", than immortalized his name and was awarded the stern George flag. Kazarsky's words: "What are you guys? Nothing, let them frighten – they bring us George…»

While patrolling the Turkish Strait of the Bosphorus in the Black sea due to a weak wind, mercury was unable to escape from the chase and was overtaken by the two largest and fastest ships in the Turkish squadron. On one of the ships was an Admiral (kapudan Pasha) of the Ottoman Navy. The Russian brig was forced into battle with 20 guns on Board against 184 enemy guns.

The decision to join the battle was made at the officers ' Council and was supported by the sailors of the brig. According to tradition, first spoke the youngest in rank-Lieutenant Corps naval navigators IP PROKOFIEV: "the Battle can not be avoided, and the brig should not go to the enemy under any circumstances." After the military Council, the commander addressed the team with a speech, urging not to shame his honor and the honor of the St. Andrew's flag. The crew unanimously preferred death to surrender and captivity. It was decided that the last of the survivors would blow up the ship. To do this, put a loaded gun in front of the powder magazine.

"Mercury" was strong, but hard to move; well kept and high waves, but the calm was absolutely grussel. Only the skill of maneuver and the accuracy of the gunners could save him. During the confrontation, which lasted two hours, the mercury managed to damage the masts of the real Bey and Selimiye with its fire, the Turkish ships one by one lost their speed, the ability to maneuver and fight. "Mercury" received very heavy damage (22 holes in the hull, 133 in the sails, 16 damage in the mast, 148 in the rigging), but lost only 4 people from the crew. Losses on the Turkish side are unknown. During the battle on Board "real-Bey" was a captive captain 2nd rank of STRELNIKOV that without a fight a few days earlier had surrendered his ship – the frigate "Raphael".

The brig returned safely to Sevastopol. "Mercury" served on the Black sea until November 9, 1857, when the order was received "to dismantle it for perfect decrepitude." However, his name was ordered to be retained in the Russian Navy with the transfer of the stern George flag to the corresponding ship. Three ships of the black sea fleet was alternately called "Memory of mercury" in 1865 – the Corvette, in 1883 and in 1907 – cruisers. The Baltic brig "Kazarsky" and the eponymous black sea mine cruiser sailed under the flag of St. Andrew.
14 (26) мая 1829 года бриг под командованием капитан-лейтенанта Александра КАЗАРСКОГО одержал победу в неравном бою с двумя турецкими линейными кораблями – 110-пушечным «Селимие» и 74-пушечным «Реал-беем», чем увековечил своё имя и был награждён кормовым Георгиевским флагом. Слова Казарского: «Что вы, ребята? Ничего, пускай пугают – они везут нам Георгия…»

Во время патрулирования турецкого пролива Босфор в Чёрном море из-за слабого ветра «Меркурий» не смог уйти от погони и был настигнут двумя самыми крупными и быстроходными кораблями в турецкой эскадре. На одном из кораблей находился адмирал (капудан-паша) флота Османской империи. Российский бриг был вынужден вступить в бой, имея на борту 20 орудий против 184 орудий противника.

Решение вступить в бой было принято на офицерском совете и было поддержано матросами брига. По традиции сначала высказался самый младший по званию – поручик Корпуса флотских штурманов И.П. ПРОКОФЬЕВ: «Боя не избежать, и бриг не должен достаться врагу не при каких обстоятельствах». После военного совета командир обратился к команде с речью, призывая не посрамить свою честь и честь Андреевского флага. Команда единогласно предпочла смерть капитуляции и плену. Было принято решение, что последний из оставшихся в живых взорвёт судно. Для этого положили заряженный пистолет перед входом в пороховой склад.

«Меркурий» был крепок, но тяжеловат на ходу; прекрасно держал высокую волну, зато в штиль совершенно грузнел. Спасти его могли только искусство манёвра и меткость канониров. Во время противостояния, продолжавшегося два часа, «Меркурию» удалось своим огнём повредить мачты «Реал-бея» и «Селимие», турецкие суда один за другим потеряли ход, возможность маневрировать и вести бой. «Меркурий» получил очень тяжёлые повреждения (22 пробоины в корпусе, 133 в парусах, 16 повреждений в рангоуте, 148 в такелаже), но при этом потерял всего 4 человека из экипажа. Потери с турецкой стороны неизвестны. Во время боя на борту «Реал-бея» находился пленённый капитан 2 ранга СТРОЙНИКОВ, который без боя несколькими днями ранее сдал свой корабль – фрегат «Рафаил».

Бриг благополучно вернулся в Севастополь. «Меркурий» прослужил на Чёрном море до 9 ноября 1857 года, когда поступило распоряжение «о разборке его по совершенной ветхости». Однако имя его было приказано сохранить в русском флоте с передачей соответствующему кораблю кормового Георгиевского флага. Три корабля Черноморского флота поочередно носили название «Память Меркурия»: в 1865 г. – корвет, а в 1883 и 1907 – крейсера. Ходили под Андреевским флагом балтийский бриг «Казарский» и одноименный черноморский минный крейсер.

Бриг «Меркурий», атакованный двумя турецкими кораблями. 1892. Холст, масло.jpg

P5240260.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
A little trouble that You saw in the previous post is fixed. Proceed to further construction. The most difficult assistant cat is not allowed to go to the shipyard, his wife's sister did not leave him for a long time. For repairs and continuation of work , is worth raise glass For fleet!
Маленькая неприятность, что Вы увидели в предыдущем посте исправлена. Приступаем к дальнейшей постройке. Самое сложное помощницу кота не пустить на верфи, сестра жены не на долго нам его оставляла. За ремонт и продолжение работы , стоит поднять бокал За флот!
P6120279.JPGP6280008.JPG20180801_202905.jpg20180814_221628.jpg20180803_193618.jpg

Ship model or any types of model do have 3 major enemies
1- dust that go every where and ruin everything
2 -Animal (cat, bird or dog) they do have the attention problem
3- 10 eyes of children can’t look only they have to touch
There is another one (shut not suppose to tell that one :) )the home prime minister that always fined our hobby toy, dust catcher and our THING take space and are inutile

So have another one me :cool: for the fleet

Ship model or any types of model do have 3 major enemies
1- dust that go every where and ruin everything
2 -Animal (cat, bird or dog) they do have the attention problem
3- 10 eyes of children can’t look only they have to touch
There is another one (shut not suppose to tell that one :) )the home prime minister that always fined our hobby toy, dust catcher and our THING take space and are inutile

So have another one me :cool: for the fleet
I'll tell You my method of dealing with dust and cleaning models, not like glass. A little later)

To protect again.
Dust, cat and Grand daughter and son.
All my project are now in casing
I know an artisan here in Montreal that do a superb work and his not expensive.

But did not find a good solution for the minister comment, working on that one:p

Very little boat to place at the stern, I liked the result. The peculiarity of this brig, she had seven pairs of oars. Rowing sailors standing, it allowed him to maneuver in the absence of wind. ( this him helped in battle) of Course I accelerated putting photo, model I recently graduated.
Маленькую шлюпку очень разместить за кормой, мне понравился результат. Особенность данного брига, он имел семь пар весел. Гребли матросы стоя, это позволяло ему маневрировать при отсутствии ветра. ( это ему помогло в сражение)
20180826_102759.jpg20180804_114601.jpg20180804_190432.jpg20180808_213036.jpg20180818_170232.jpg20180826_102712.jpg20180814_212038.jpg20180814_225914.jpgКонечно я ускоренно выкладываю фото, модель я недавно закончил.20180826_102759.jpg20180804_114601.jpg20180804_190432.jpg20180808_213036.jpg20180818_170232.jpg20180826_102712.jpg20180814_212038.jpg

My flotilla is lined up for a six-month wash. Glass cases, like I said, I don't like. I clean the compressor with a gun, adjusting the air supply. I like the result.The end of the brig mercury soon :)
Моя флотилия построилась для полугодовой помывкой. Стеклянные витрины, как я уже говорил не люблю. Чищу компрессором с помощью пистолета, регулируя подачу воздуха. Результат мне нравиться.Окончание брига Меркурий скоро :)

20190720_094451111.jpg

20190720_093907.jpg

Attachments

• 20190720_094451.jpg
    20190720_094451.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
Back