Brigantine Phoenix, by Master Korabel [COMPLETED BUILD]

Did not quite like the way how all rope tail end ended up around belaying pins.. It is working just fine but the end results were not quite there so i decided to add a line coils... A bit of a different approach was also involved since i already cut all ropes to a length, so for me to lay the tail ends as they supposed to be, properly, coiled around the pins, was out of the question...

401.jpg

First i a line coils factory... the flora craft foam was used as a foundation because of its sharp edges, and well, spongy structure, not hard to push all those small pins... The baking paper was used to prevent glue from sticking on the foam. To create a line coil diameter as close to the original pins diameter, i cut a 2mm wire into 1cm long "pins" and push into the foam.. The distance from the edge was measured from the pin location on the ship and hanging part was also measured to provide a nice look at the end...

402.jpg

And started to run lines around it...

403.jpg

404.jpg

405.jpg

406.jpg

A drop of white glue was put in each line coil to keep the shape and they were left to dry overnight..

407.jpg

End the results were OK..

408.jpg

409.jpg

410.jpg

A drop of diluted white glue was also applied on the final product..

410a.jpg

There are definitely other ways of doing this exercise and the best way will be to do the line coils on the ship directly, but this scale is fairly small for my fingers... Maybe next time..

Happy modelling..

I have tried a slightly different approach now... wanted to try starting the work from the pin, first tightening the rope around the pin and work towards the yards.. this will give me a bit more workspace and it might ended up better and more realistic.. So lets see...

The rope was ran thru...

411.jpg

.. the knot was tight around the pin...

412.jpg

413.jpg

.. a bit of a CA was dropped to make sure the knot will stay in place.. Then the coil was attached, again with a help of a CA...

414.jpg

The rope looks a bit fuzzy on zoomed picture but it was dragged thru a beeswax and from the naked eye it does look OK.

So far it does look more realistic this way.. and easier to install... Then, the rope was running thru a block and attached to the sprit-sail yard..

415.jpg

416.jpg

417.jpg

Hmm, it does not look that bad after all... Will try few more times..

Happy modelling..

Last edited:
Continue with different bowlines rigging... if there is an interest in how a specific rigging line is running, i can snap more detailed pictures...

For rigging line colour and size i was following the kit plan.... all lines are dragged thru a beeswax to lower the fuzziness on them but zoomed pictures are as bad as they are good...

418.jpg

419.jpg

420.jpg

421.jpg

422.jpg

423.jpg

424.jpg

425.jpg

424.jpg

425.jpg

426.jpg

427.jpg

From sailor's perspective..

430.jpg

431.jpg

432.jpg

Happy modelling...

Last edited:
Although you may not listen to my advice, read Marquardt's book "18th Century Rigging and Rigging" by Marquardt. The sails were rolled inward, and the sling patches were on the outside. Now, of course, it is not worth redoing, just keep in mind at the next construction sites.

Continue work on parrel trucks for sail boom and gaff. Trucks are shipped coloured in red so i painted them in matt black and attached.

442a.jpg

442c.jpg

442d.jpg

442e.jpg

442f.jpg

442b.jpg

I decided to attach spanker with a spiral lacing explained in Lennarth Petersson's "Rigging period ship models". Not quite sure if it is completely historically accurate but it appears to me as very interesting way.. So, it is..

First i made few hoops..

443a.jpg

442-1.jpg

Blackened...

443b.jpg

Then the hole locations are marked on the spanker..

443c.jpg

And hooks inserted..

443d.jpg

443f.jpg

First, the spanker was mounted..

445a.jpg

445b.jpg

445c.jpg

Few blocks...

444a.jpg

444b.jpg

444c.jpg

Then the lacing after spanker is mounted..

445d.jpg

445g.jpg

And completed...

445f.jpg

445e.jpg

Happy modelling..

Deck coil time.... With a help of small jig, it is working like a charm...

446a.jpg

446b.jpg

446c.jpg

446d.jpg

446e.jpg

And installed on the ship..

446f.jpg

I also added two cleats.... from aluminium, cleaned, drilled a hole for a wire and mounted on the ship...

447a.jpg

447b.jpg

Will finish them later...

Continue with blocks and rigging...

448a.jpg

448b.jpg

448c.jpg

448d.jpg

Happy modelling...

Continue with rope coils installation; mental note for a future builds: do this task when deck is free of other items....

The coil is fixed on the deck with a touch of white glue, non diluted.

449b.jpg

After drying, the excess rope is cut...

449c.jpg

Few more installed...

449a.jpg

Next one was particularly challenging because of its location...

449d.jpg

The reason more to do these ahead of time is no need to use CA glue which is discolouring the rope. Tried with PVA but was just not holding the place..

Then was working on guy rope...

450b.jpg

450.jpg

450a.jpg

During my build process, i lost several blocks. Very likely i will be able to find them walking barefooted but i decided to order few sets from craftysailor... and here they are, brand new, with attached hooks...

450c.jpg

And mounted, temporary...

450d.jpg

450e.jpg

Happy modelling...

The anchors' buoys are next.

First started with carving them... Last time in my Sultana build, i used sculpey to make buoys, this time tried a different approach.

455a.jpg

455b.jpg

In below picture are two buoy prototypes, i carved without a lathe..

455b1.jpg

Then pilot holes are drilled and two hooks per buoy are made and inserted, not all the way thru to leave a bit room for seizing.. The buoys were painted in white.

457.jpg

Then harness for each buoy are made, two per buoy. Three lines were knotted along another rigging line. Spacing between the lines was appr 6mm.

455c.jpg

Then the harness were wrapped around the rod, knotted and glued.

455d.jpg

455f.jpg

The harness was wrapped around the buoy and glued with super glue.

455e.jpg

The second harness was attached as well. This part was a a bit tricky, since three lines of the second harness have to be run under the existing harness before being seized but with little help this was done OK.

456.jpg

The seizing was done around the hook, on both ends of buoy.

456a.jpg

456b.jpg

And completed. With this all work, the buoys were weathered a bit which ended up to be a nice detail..

458.jpg

Ready for anchors..

459.jpg

Happy modelling..

Worked on a stern flagpole; here is completed pole:

470.jpg

471.jpg

And the process of sanding and shaping...

475.jpg

476.jpg

Cut in half...

477.jpg

Adding pins for details..

478.jpg

480.jpg

472.jpg

474.jpg

473.jpg

Now i am working on flags; even dough the kit provided flags are decent, i will try to make my own, just to test the process and will decide which set to use.

Happy modelling..

Ship flags are next. I decided to make my own flags even dough kit provided flags are good. This was just a test for making technology... I used software to make the flag, printed on the transfer paper and used iron to transfer picture to the material. It took me few attempts to find out correct material, correct layout and temperature as well as the way to line up both ends of the flag. For this task, i actually sandwich the material between two printouts, and with just one iron pass the pictures will transfer on both sides of the material.

I have tried several different material thickness as well as a paper and ended up with white shirt cotton.

After all flags are made, i started mounting them..

The flag is glued to the line...

481a.jpg

The line is positioned on flag poll...

481b.jpg

481c.jpg

And the rope was tighten to the poll as well...

481cc.jpg

The whole assembly was glued to the ship..

481e.jpg

481d.jpg

Second flag is proudly up...

482.jpg

This one was slightly twisted around small brush...

482a.jpg

Here is comparison between kit provided and home-made...

482b.jpg

The flag was also glued to the line and mounted on the ship...On the way up..

482d.jpg

482c.jpg

And the last one, same process, this time without the line..

484.jpg

484a.jpg

As always, the mighty greek warrior arrived to check the progress. He usually comes at the end of the work, waiting to take control of the ship, suggesting that THAT IT IS... I can call it a finished project.

483.jpg

483a.jpg

485.jpg

The next i will work on pedestal, acrylic cover and some final pictures...

Happy modelling..

Congratulations my friend. I have followed this log from the very beginning - I am sure that yours id the first log I have ever seen where the construction started with the bilge pumps! :)I cannot tell how you many times I have fallen in love with this ship because of your superb work, only to fall out of love again, when I realized the enormous amount of work that had to be done at a such a small scale. Which - of course - means that I LOVE the finished product. I can't wait to see the final display pics!

Congratulations my friend. I have followed this log from the very beginning - I am sure that yours id the first log I have ever seen where the construction started with the bilge pumps! :)I cannot tell how you many times I have fallen in love with this ship because of your superb work, only to fall out of love again, when I realized the enormous amount of work that had to be done at a such a small scale. Which - of course - means that I LOVE the finished product. I can't wait to see the final display pics!
Thank you very much Heinrich.
It has been an interesting journey i must say and very much enjoyable. It is not quite historically correct but i like how turned out.
Thanks again...

Back