Brigantine Phoenix, by Master Korabel [COMPLETED BUILD]

A little bit of a damage was caused by not being careful around ship yard and accidentally broke the black piece planned to install on stern...

Testing fitting before gluing while piece was still intact...

Veneer sheet is very fragile and now i have to make another one out of a spare part.. First cleaned up area and covered with wood filler.

While this is drying i started to make replacement..

Trace it on transparent paper...

IMG_3036-1.jpg.6a56e20500b12fa5369aba08c8388d15.jpg

Glued few spare planks on the paper...

IMG_3037-1.jpg.9cd82c574bbe6b29f339c1cc29b90511.jpg

Planning to leave a bit of extra wood around tracing lines just in case if i have to adjust fitting. While this is drying i cut several moulding pieces that will fill inner frame of gun openings..

And one glued in...

Not much progress today...

Happy modelling.

Continuing working on inner frames for gun openings... moulding were cut in 9mm length, glue applied on the frame and veneer piece pushed in. Then i sanded all parts that are sticking out and made them flush with the outside planking. Few more to go... i did not work on inner edges yet..

IMG_3049-6.thumb.jpg.762a13ce2fa012a0a3f7f11a34cb8dc6.jpg

A bit of a work happened on stern as well.. Area previously filled with wood putty was sanded and ready... Veneer part was sanded lightly and glued on the stern..

IMG_3046-6.thumb.jpg.69af12e8ad803574726640e0b1e8a0f7.jpg

Windows were cut of and sanded lightly...

IMG_3045-6.thumb.jpg.ca62911c2f486b574e7c2a7581bf5b3c.jpg

.. installed in the window openings..

IMG_3047-6.thumb.jpg.67bf61d73c1f281f6baf53eb06642a07.jpg

Even dough i have applied a minimum amount of glue around windows, some glue leaked out and cured showing some discoloration on the veneer. So i run a tiny layer of black paint all over the piece. Still need to protect window frames and finish painting.. this is for today

IMG_3048-6.thumb.jpg.5368ae6d757cd37b80be2af5bae27a3d.jpg

Hopefully this will correct glue issue. Now i will paint all black veneer pieces so they all matches....

Happy modelling.

Yes, i am also watching it but unfortunately mu russian is very limited, so just pictures. Later in the serial there are some english subtitles available..
So i am using combination of that video tutorial and instructions that are with kit...

Thanks

Btw, all Brigantine Phoenix videos have English subtitles, so you should be able to watch them.

The inside frame of the gun opening was covered by veneer; extra veneer was removed and sanded flush with the hull.

Work on stern continues repairing broken piece... several planks were made out of spare veneer, glued to the transparent paper, cut in rough shape, and then, as a whole piece, glued to the ship. I could probably do it gluing individual planks but..

Making sure it stays put...

After this the first second plank was installed. It takes a bit of positioning, but if you start from stern, slowly, securing it with either rubber bands or other clamps, it can be done with no issue.

Plank at the bow required a bit of extra attention.... Tomorrow..

Happy modelling.

Looks great!
Moreplovac, I highly recommend gluing final layer using hot iron technique. These kits are perfect for this - the veneer is laser cut precisely and has ideal thickness. In this case you wouldn't need to use rubberbands or office clips. Everything will glue cleanly and perfectly.

Here is a short how-to:
https://craftysailor.com/blogs/articles/planking-with-hot-iron

Looks great!
Moreplovac, I highly recommend gluing final layer using hot iron technique. These kits are perfect for this - the veneer is laser cut precisely and has ideal thickness. In this case you wouldn't need to use rubberbands or office clips. Everything will glue cleanly and perfectly.

Here is a short how-to:
https://craftysailor.com/blogs/articles/planking-with-hot-iron

Yes, i will definitely use hot iron technique today, have plenty of planks left.. yesterday still done old fashion way :)

Last edited:
The window frame was cut, sanded and assembled on the model. Window is then protected with a scotch tape..

IMG_3069-99.jpg.a22050cd3464a1df3994e4fb0121fa00.jpg

The wale was next, it consists of two piece of veneer for both ship sides. It is laser cut but still does require very slight sanding on edges which is absolutely not a problem 1589739429106.gif

IMG_3071-99.jpg.33fac20e0e4b7918ddbb76c6c4c43cf1.jpg

Just for fun, first i applied glue on the hull instead of wale..

And wale is assembled with no issues. All fits perfectly... Started from bow and made my way back...

And the port side first plank was applied.

Later will continue planking using hot iron technique to see how that does.

Happy modelling.

Window has been cut, sanded and installed. It fits perfectly on the top but the bottom end has tiny gap between window frame and planks...
Little bit of glue was applied around the frame to keep it in the spot.. and piece of scotch tap was applied over to protect it during work process on other parts of the ship.

Few planks were installed... They are long enough to leave some extras for trimming at the stern..

Happy modelling.

Do you plan to leave planks one single length of ship, or mark them to look like shorter planks as the full sized ships do, and add treenail hole marks for simulating the treenails that held planks on.

Yes, i was thinking about it and leaning more towards that direction - marking them to look short and do treenail hole marks instead of keeping them in a single length.. but will need to do some research when it comes to plank lengths, treenail schema that covers region and period..

Using a single plank full length is easiest way. Then when you have figured out what pattern to use yay mark it.

I have seen some who drag an exacting blade using back side of tip to mark ends of plant. Then use scribe or needle to simulate treenails. Others will fill in plank ends and treenails with pencil lead to look like tar!

Planking keeps coming along just fine.... with not quite matching planking lines on both side of the ship, which i really do not like..

IMG_3109-1.thumb.jpg.62094d2e65594e08067c58ad46154fd4.jpg

IMG_3118-1.thumb.jpg.baadf45ce65c1b43236bddfce47a5312.jpg

IMG_3115-1.thumb.jpg.cac4f1fbdbf5c69d10dcc643f5f1d5a7.jpg

One of the very nice small details on this kit is a simulated steeler..

IMG_3117-1.thumb.jpg.f5b90983f72a4e54d1ad0619cab29396.jpg

During this process i also discovered that i did not put planks properly at the bow. Maybe not reading thru instruction manual thoroughly but all planks have to go slightly over keel. There is very tiny amount of planks that is left on both ends once that plank is installed.

Anyhow, this is what i have to deal with..

IMG_3123-1.thumb.jpg.ad1501db62a39493a49ea129d4a76c00.jpg

IMG_3116-1.thumb.jpg.69e0004419b5d19c891049e962bada66.jpg

IMG_3124-1.thumb.jpg.abbd7652da670f1d2e49afe819f1ef99.jpg

So i might ended up adding a piece of veneer that will cover this part and ended up on a false keel.... something like this..

IMG_3126-1.thumb.jpg.27a7e73ffff5f4edb9256eb2b026c0b6.jpg

Happy modelling..

Back