Build Log "CAF" HMS Enterprise

Received my shipment of Amati Chainplates and Deadeyes today, so built and partially installed some, built the final 3 port lids. Also Tom from Caf inclued 4 crew members, not sure if I will use, but painted the captain, I do like the way it brings the scale of the ship into perspective

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

Port side detail nearing completion, lashed the anchor, added the deadeyes, waiting for some 5mm deadeyes to still come in. Added the safety line and rails. Gave the port side wales one more coat of stain. Still need to light sand the frames and give last coat of poly. Nest the same on Star Board

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

Folks, I am calling this one done. I have learned alot about POF, and made alot of mistakes and reworks. I will be taking the new found skills to my next POF Kit, CAF LaRenommee, which will have a full internal structure as well. What did I learn from my first POF Kit?
1. Slow Down
2. Each Frame must be Precise to plan, perhaps a framing jig will help. Also still need use of thin battens when fairing the frames correctly
3. Cant Frame angles must be Precise, were hard to see fit in the jig
4. Hawse Frame angles must be Precise
5. Do not attach Stern framing, until last possiable moment, and secure(accidentally broke these off several times)
5. Deck Height must be correct, some what difficult with CAF plan, but do-able(dry fit cabin bulkheads to help Quarter Deck Hei ght
6. Thinking of doing the Deck Beams, ledges and carlings, while still in the jig, and doing each as one complete section(CAF Plan laid all the beams first), making rework when adding ledges and carlings
7. Gun Port Holes must be exact to plan, as it affects placement on knees
8. Angle of quarter window galleries must be correct to fit windows, I saw a tool to measure this after the fact
9. Dry fit everything several times prior to gluing
10. Read ahead in the plans.....the order of build can be changed to accommodate future additions
11. SLOW DOWN-DRY FIT

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2322-1.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

Folks, I am calling this one done. I have learned alot about POF, and made alot of mistakes and reworks. I will be taking the new found skills to my next POF Kit, CAF LaRenommee, which will have a full internal structure as well. What did I learn from my first POF Kit?
1. Slow Down
2. Each Frame must be Precise to plan, perhaps a framing jig will help. Also still need use of thin battens when fairing the frames correctly
5. Do not attach Stern framing, until last possiable moment, and secure(accidentally broke these off several times)
5. Deck Height must be correct, some what difficult with CAF plan, but do-able(dry fit cabin bulkheads to help Quarter Deck Hei ght
6. Thinking of doing the Deck Beams, ledges and carlings, while still in the jig, and doing each as one complete section(CAF Plan laid all the beams first), making rework when adding ledges and carlings
8. Angle of quarter window galleries must be correct to fit windows, I saw a tool to measure this after the fact
10. Read ahead in the plans.....the order of build can be changed to accommodate future additions
11. SLOW DOWN-DRY FIT

View attachment 361675

View attachment 361676

View attachment 361677

View attachment 361678

View attachment 361679

View attachment 361680

View attachment 361681

View attachment 361682

View attachment 361683

View attachment 361684

View attachment 361685

View attachment 361686

View attachment 361687
masterpiece!!!!

1. Slow Down
11. SLOW DOWN-DRY FIT

View attachment 361675

View attachment 361676

View attachment 361677

View attachment 361678

View attachment 361679

View attachment 361680

View attachment 361681

View attachment 361682

View attachment 361683

View attachment 361684

View attachment 361685

View attachment 361686

View attachment 361687
Fantastic job and I agree with your many points of advice for builders. My scratch built Medea is a sister ship and I watch all the Enterprise builds with great interest and clues to how to go about things. Many thanks.

PS - In case I missed it in your build, where did you get your crewmen? I have a few which I have adapted but some of yours I haven't seen before.

Fantastic job and I agree with your many points of advice for builders. My scratch built Medea is a sister ship and I watch all the Enterprise builds with great interest and clues to how to go about things. Many thanks.

PS - In case I missed it in your build, where did you get your crewmen? I have a few which I have adapted but some of yours I haven't seen before.
Ian, I got them from CAF models where I got the kit, they included them, but they are for sale separate as well. They are 1/48 scale as is the kit

1. Slow Down
11. SLOW DOWN-DRY FIT

View attachment 361675

View attachment 361676

View attachment 361677

View attachment 361678

View attachment 361679

View attachment 361680

View attachment 361681

View attachment 361682

View attachment 361683

View attachment 361684

View attachment 361685