Build Log "CAF" HMS Enterprise

Back at it, struggled through the cheeks and headrails...partly directions, partly beginner build issues, ending up tearing out original, and rebuilding with individual pieces...still needs some touching up. Wasnt sure on the color scheme, have seen several different versions. Also finishing up the remaining guns on the main deck, prior to adding gangways. Also, started adding deck furniture to the Quarter Deck. Yes, the wheel actually does turn the rudder!!

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2173-1.jpg

IMG_2176-2.jpg

Very good work and accurate execution of the details - I like the overall appearance very much

Only one detail, which I realized and maybe you think about it

It is the lodging knees marked with the green arrow. They are making from technical point of view at this location and height no sense, because they are on the height of the planking. If there was a knee, than it would be under the planking of the small podest - I would simply remove these two knees (BTW at the poop, you do not have such a lodging knee at the beam)
And your small gangways are not connecting the two decks - two meters are missing - but maybe this is shown in such a way in the drawings - for me it woul make sense, if the gangway would also end directly at the forecaste deck, so seamen could walk from poop to forecastle.....
IMG_2201.jpg

U
Very good work and accurate execution of the details - I like the overall appearance very much

Only one detail, which I realized and maybe you think about it

It is the lodging knees marked with the green arrow. They are making from technical point of view at this location and height no sense, because they are on the height of the planking. If there was a knee, than it would be under the planking of the small podest - I would simply remove these two knees (BTW at the poop, you do not have such a lodging knee at the beam)
And your small gangways are not connecting the two decks - two meters are missing - but maybe this is shown in such a way in the drawings - for me it woul make sense, if the gangway would also end directly at the forecaste deck, so seamen could walk from poop to forecastle.....
View attachment 353497
Uwe, thanks for the kind feedback, I thought both of the items that you pointed out were a bit strange. Ive attached the Plans from Caf Im working with, maybe the 2 knees go under the podest, and I miss interpreted the plans. The Gangways as well show a non connection to the forecastle. CAF actually sends a blank deck, which I planked over. Thoughts? Also the Blue arrows going to the quarterdeck on the Star Board side...what are you indicating there? Again, thanks!! Paul

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

U

Uwe, thanks for the kind feedback, I thought both of the items that you pointed out were a bit strange. Ive attached the Plans from Caf Im working with, maybe the 2 knees go under the podest, and I miss interpreted the plans. The Gangways as well show a non connection to the forecastle. CAF actually sends a blank deck, which I planked over. Thoughts? Also the Blue arrows going to the quarterdeck on the Star Board side...what are you indicating there? Again, thanks!! Paul

View attachment 353508

View attachment 353509

View attachment 353510

U

View attachment 353508

View attachment 353509

View attachment 353510
Sorry for the blue arrows - this was a first point, these are the lodging knees towards the beams and the strange lodging knees (with green arrow) are in principle the same towards the last beam - so not important (the blue arrows)

The red knee in the manual skecth 142 is laying slightly under the planking - so it seems that it is the knee for the beam
I would not install this knee - strange - the original shipwrights would have solved this differently under the planking of this small platform
Also I can see, that the gangway is shown in the drawings shorter
On skecth 142 we can see, that the gangway is starting at the hanging knee of this platform, but definitely it is too short.
I am thinking about the reason, why such a gangway is not connect the two decks? What could be the reason of the shipwright? There is nothing there, now guns, no small riffles or something else,.....

Sorry for the blue arrows - this was a first point, these are the lodging knees towards the beams and the strange lodging knees (with green arrow) are in principle the same towards the last beam - so not important (the blue arrows)

The red knee in the manual skecth 142 is laying slightly under the planking - so it seems that it is the knee for the beam
I would not install this knee - strange - the original shipwrights would have solved this differently under the planking of this small platform
On skecth 142 we can see, that the gangway is starting at the hanging knee of this platform, but definitely it is too short.
I am thinking about the reason, why such a gangway is not connect the two decks? What could be the reason of the shipwright? There is nothing there, now guns, no small riffles or something else,.....
yes strange, they can get at the ships boats from there, which will be on the beams over the open deck. I'll have to check the prints at the Royal Greenwich Maritime, I noticed they had a few prints on HMS Enterprise. Thanks, Again!

yes strange, they can get at the ships boats from there, which will be on the beams over the open deck. I'll have to check the prints at the Royal Greenwich Maritime, I noticed they had a few prints on HMS Enterprise. Thanks, Again!
The Print was of the Surprise, not the enterprise, but does not show Gangways, BTW, this museum has over 4000 ship plans on file

IMG_2210.jpg

I have to revise my information, better my thoughts about this lodging knee

Looking at the book

The Sailing Frigate: A History in Ship Models
by Robert GARDINER
Illustrated from the Collections of the National Maritime Museum

I found these pages related to "Filling in the Waist"

IMG_2163.jpg IMG_2166.jpg

and a short description of this model

IMG_2164.jpg

and here we can see a similar situation like on your model

And I found the model at the NMM page

f2897_1.jpg

Warship; Frigate; Amazon class; Fifth rate; 32 guns​

Scale 1:32. Built at this slightly larger and unusual scale, the model is a fine example of the Georgian style of modelling, with a fully planked hull and partially planked decks. The hull is constructed 'bread-and-butter’ fashion, of wooden planks glued together horizontally and then shaped externally to fit templates taken from the building plans. The wooden core is then gouged out internally to produce a shell of about an inch thick, over which the planking, deck beams and decoration are applied.
The model has been made to a high standard of workmanship and includes some fittings not always shown, such as the compass binnacle just forward of the wheel, shot racks between the guns, the hammock-netting stanchions and swivel guns on the ship's side.

Screenshot 2023-01-26 085026.png

f2897_3.jpg f2897_4.jpg

and the same photo like above in bigger size

f2897_5.jpg

definitely this lodgeing knee is at the same location

and also we can find a gangway, which seems not to connect both sides - it was only the access to the swiffelguns - on the model you can see the brackets

f2897_2.jpg

f2897_2a.jpg

Red - the knee
green - end of gangway
blue - swiffelguns

Means also, that CAF made a very good research for this detail - and I guess, that there is somewhere a contemporary drawing of this frigate class (or maybe this model) showing these details.

I am so sorry with my wrong interpretation and producing some troubles
Sorry

Last edited:
The Print was of the Surprise, not the enterprise, but does not show Gangways, BTW, this museum has over 4000 ship plans on file

View attachment 353530
Here are the contemporary drawings of the Enterprize

you can also search for the individual ships of the same class, so maybe you can find some more interesting drawings and / or models

I have to revise my information, better my thoughts about this lodging knee

Looking at the book

The Sailing Frigate: A History in Ship Models
by Robert GARDINER
Illustrated from the Collections of the National Maritime Museum

I found these pages related to "Filling in the Waist"

View attachment 353619 View attachment 353621

and a short description of this model

View attachment 353620

and here we can see a similar situation like on your model

And I found the model at the NMM page

View attachment 353622

Warship; Frigate; Amazon class; Fifth rate; 32 guns​

Scale 1:32. Built at this slightly larger and unusual scale, the model is a fine example of the Georgian style of modelling, with a fully planked hull and partially planked decks. The hull is constructed 'bread-and-butter’ fashion, of wooden planks glued together horizontally and then shaped externally to fit templates taken from the building plans. The wooden core is then gouged out internally to produce a shell of about an inch thick, over which the planking, deck beams and decoration are applied.
The model has been made to a high standard of workmanship and includes some fittings not always shown, such as the compass binnacle just forward of the wheel, shot racks between the guns, the hammock-netting stanchions and swivel guns on the ship's side.

View attachment 353627

View attachment 353624 View attachment 353625

and the same photo like above in bigger size

View attachment 353626

definitely this lodgeing knee is at the same location

and also we can find a gangway, which seems not to connect both sides - it was only the access to the swiffelguns - on the model you can see the brackets

View attachment 353623

View attachment 353628

Red - the knee
green - end of gangway
blue - swiffelguns

Means also, that CAF made a very good research for this detail - and I guess, that there is somewhere a contemporary drawing of this frigate class (or maybe this model) showing these details.

I am so sorry with my wrong interpretation and producing some troubles
Sorry
Uwe, thanks so much for the info and pictures. and Prints...Very informative and helpful!

Just a bit today, finished installing the carronades and the capstan

View attachment 354834

View attachment 354843
Good morning Paul. I love carronades on British ships. They are the best looking guns. The last pic shows your detail so well. The look through into the lower deck canons and quarters is awesome (the chequered flooring was so worthwhile) Cheers Grant

Thanks Grant!
Good morning Paul. I love carronades on British ships. They are the best looking guns. The last pic shows your detail so well. The look through into the lower deck canons and quarters is awesome (the chequered flooring was so worthwhile) Cheers Gran

Working on detail now...lashing the boats, adding steps, starting to build the 6 gunport lids. Waiting on more chainplates and deadeyes to arrive, as well as oars for the ships boats

IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2261-1.jpg

Back