Build Log "CAF" HMS Enterprise

A question to the more experienced modelers is why do most models have the capstan modeled with all the arm extended as if it were ready to use, when I have read that the majority of time the arms are stowed until the anchor is raised or other heavy lifting is needed?

I can't recall seeing a model with the capstan arms shown in stowed position on the deck.

I can't recall seeing a model with the capstan arms shown in stowed position on the deck.
Good point, and you are right.
99% of the time the capstan was not in use and the bars / levers were stored somewhere. It seems, that it is the same like with the guns.
99% of the models are showing the guns "ready for action" with open gunports, and this was maybe also less than 1% of the time.
We modelers think that these special situations are making the models more interesting to llok at.

What I like with capstan would be:
bars installed, the messenger cable around with fixed anchor hawser cable, one anchor hanging at the cathead ...... so capastn with bars including the messenger

BTW: Interesting to know this short text what I found
The ropes were always wound in a clockwise direction (seen from above).

@Paul132 - very good progress and very good looking deck !
How much will you close the deck with planking? I am asking because the wall of the main room is slightly out of angle and not directly under the beam

OK, I do agree with you on modeling to make a presentation is more than modeling as it was in real life.

Interesting bit on direction of the winding of rope.

Does anyone know if there is a build log on the CAF La Renommee? Tom at Caf is doing the internal structures for this kit to be ready on february. Thinking of my next project. I have looked at the Build Log Index, and didnt see anyone doing this model. Thanks

Have started the New Project CAF Models HMS Enterprise. This will be my first Admiralty Build. Ordered directly from Tom at CAF, only to 16 days to arrive to the states. Tom included a Long Boat kit as a Gift as well. This will be my first Build Log as well, so any advice will be well taken. The Kit arrived in 6 separate boxes including 1 39 page instruction booklet. Directions are in Chinese, but with the help of Briyan, and a companion of Bernard Frolich's "The Art of Ship Modeling" ....we should be able to pull this off!
Hallo @Paul132
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back