Build Log: CAF models' HMS Enterprise 1:48

The idea with the laser is very good, and it is working well (I used this way also already).
How you define the center-line?
In moment on your photo the laser is not connecting the center points of the masts but slightly to the right.

BTW: Great work until now - looking very good Thumbsup

The idea with the laser is very good, and it is working well (I used this way also already).
How you define the center-line?
In moment on your photo the laser is not connecting the center points of the masts but slightly to the right.

BTW: Great work until now - looking very good Thumbsup
Uwe,
You are right, the laser is not lined up in the photo. The planks were not glued in yet ! What the picture shows is that if the laser is not perfectly lined up, a very small deviation at the bow becomes a large deviation at the stern. I use the mast center and the keel as center.

Alex R

52630CDC-F173-4E67-A54C-9F4C2C05CCD7.jpeg
HMS Enterprise build update: The gun deck planking and bulwarks are done. I am waiting for deck gratings from HIS model to do hatches. (frames already made) I did not want to spend too much time in using the ones supplied in the kit or in making my own. Wales installed. Still need to add some longitudinal timbers. Still debating wether to treenail deck and /or hull.
4409EDBC-0DAA-413F-9A66-7C73C61320E9.jpegThis is my plank-bending with ammonia jig:
I place the boards to be softened with ammonia in the long limb and close it. I pour ammonia in the short limb. I open the lower stopcock and let the ammonia into the long limb and soak the timbers. when I'm ready to take out the wood strips, I turn the jig so the liquid ammonia goes back into the short limb and close the stopcock. I can then open the long limb and remove the softened wood without having ammonia fumes and liquid all over. It works pretty well!!

I have the kit in storage and am wondering whether to plank the whole decks or leave them mostly un-planked.
It would be a waste to have all that work and beautiful deck structure covered up.

View attachment 193497
HMS Enterprise build update: The gun deck planking and bulwarks are done. I am waiting for deck gratings from HIS model to do hatches. (frames already made) I did not want to spend too much time in using the ones supplied in the kit or in making my own. Wales installed. Still need to add some longitudinal timbers. Still debating wether to treenail deck and /or hull.
View attachment 193498This is my plank-bending with ammonia jig:
I place the boards to be softened with ammonia in the long limb and close it. I pour ammonia in the short limb. I open the lower stopcock and let the ammonia into the long limb and soak the timbers. when I'm ready to take out the wood strips, I turn the jig so the liquid ammonia goes back into the short limb and close the stopcock. I can then open the long limb and remove the softened wood without having ammonia fumes and liquid all over. It works pretty well!!
hello Alex

wow, that's a brilliant idea. I'll take care of that for me. thanks for showing it. great

D5F9C2EC-AD8A-4E07-A5A2-4E5ED5CDD481.jpeg
Build p[rogress on HMS Enterprise:
Inner bulwarks planked and capped. Rails and battens placed. Obviously, some "artistic" license was taken here ! As we all know, kit's plans and instructions are sketchy at best, so I had to spend time researching and also do a" best guess"...
After fine sanding and re-staining, I will leave the lower hull as it is, showing frame structure. My plan is to work from bow towards the stern, and up from main gun deck to foredeck and quarter deck. Stern galleries last. At some point I will paint the wales black and the inner bulwarks and deck furniture red, using the same acrylic as in Brian's build. Upper external bulwarks will be blue. Hopefully I will be able to match Brian's blue (Brian: what mixture of colors, brand(s) did you use for the blue ?)
Next, I will construct and paint foredeck furniture and build cannon (will have to prep and blacken the barrels), followed by foredeck beams and partial planking of foredeck. I'll update.
Alex R

Very nice Alex! I don't think I could cover all that great deck framing, are you planning to do the same with the Fore and Quarterdeck as well? Keep up the great work!!

Thanks Brian. If my Enterprise turns out 1/2 as good as yours, I'll be pleased.. BTW, what color or mix (brand ? ) did you use for your bulwarks' blue ? I like it a lot and would like to use it.
Thanks
Alex R

B27F16D0-7B00-4FAC-8510-5C642A103AA8.jpeg
Enterprise build progress: Build started one year ago-on December 17, 2019. Many mistakes and head scratchings later, here we are: Starting work on bow, ladders and barrel slides inserted. Also, in preparation for painting, all the foredeck and quarterdeck beams and knees ( both hanging and lodging ) are being cleaned up and notched; the deck furniture pegged with brass rods; the boiler constructed.

Enterprise build progress: Build started one year ago-on December 17, 2019. Many mistakes and head scratchings later, here we are: Starting work on bow, ladders and barrel slides inserted. Also, in preparation for painting, all the foredeck and quarterdeck beams and knees ( both hanging and lodging ) are being cleaned up and notched; the deck furniture pegged with brass rods; the boiler constructed.
Very good progress, Alex! But, wait...where is the images of furniture and boiler?? Did you forget to attach?;)

Back