Build Log: ENDURANCE by OcCre [COMPLETED BUILD]

Only missing is snow and ice ;) - looking very good

Beautiful life boat Charlie! I was a little worried that the Master Korabel lifeboats may be out of character with the Endurance (different eras), but the painted hull makes it work very well. Thumbsup

Beautiful life boat Charlie! I was a little worried that the Master Korabel lifeboats may be out of character with the Endurance (different eras), but the painted hull makes it work very well. Thumbsup
Not much out there to try and duplicate the real thing. Here are several photos of the Endurance lifeboats for reference and Master Korabel were the closest thing I could find. The kit supplied were way off the mark. I'm working on making small masts and sails for each of the four lifeboats. I'll post when I get a satisfactory result.
Lifeboat 1.jpgLifeboat 2.jpg
Kit supplied boats

Endurance 135.jpg

Master Korabel kit
Endurance 134.jpg

Oh yes - the Master Korabel boats are a much better option! Thumbsup

Well, all good things must come to an end. I really enjoyed bashing this kit. It was rather basic and if I were to do it again I would add more pin rails and replace most of the eyebolts with cleats. I also replaced all the ropes, deadeyes, blocks, and lifeboats with third party parts. Photos from the web and Caroline Alexander's book "The Endurance" were a great help in adding extra detail. The way the instructions read it would be impossible to handle the ship at sea hence the need for extra cleats and pin rails for a more authentic look. Lots of detail was added to make it more appealing to the eye and keep up viewer interest. The written instructions were fair, only one page, but the photo pages were the ones to follow. The 69 YouTube videos by Occre were also a great help. Any one of the Shackelton Expedition book's are a must read and Natgeotv has a good two part series on the most awesome survival journey ever made. Thanks to everyone for watching and especially for all the great comments and hints I received along the way.

Endurance 137.jpgEndurance 138.jpgEndurance 139.jpgEndurance 140.jpgEndurance 141.jpgEndurance 142.jpgEndurance 143.jpgEndurance 144.jpgEndurance 145.jpgEndurance 146.jpgEndurance 147.jpgEndurance 148.jpgEndurance 149.jpgEndurance 150.jpgEndurance 151.jpgEndurance 152.jpgEndurance 153.jpg

You have a beautiful masterpiece there Charlie. Your photography is outstanding, I have really enjoyed following your build and read the most incredible survival story about the crew of the Endurance.

My Congratulation for this very fine and well build model - Very good result

Well, all good things must come to an end. I really enjoyed bashing this kit. It was rather basic and if I were to do it again I would add more pin rails and replace most of the eyebolts with cleats. I also replaced all the ropes, deadeyes, blocks, and lifeboats with third party parts. Photos from the web and Caroline Alexander's book "The Endurance" were a great help in adding extra detail. The way the instructions read it would be impossible to handle the ship at sea hence the need for extra cleats and pin rails for a more authentic look. Lots of detail was added to make it more appealing to the eye and keep up viewer interest. The written instructions were fair, only one page, but the photo pages were the ones to follow. The 69 YouTube videos by Occre were also a great help. Any one of the Shackelton Expedition book's are a must read and Natgeotv has a good two part series on the most awesome survival journey ever made. Thanks to everyone for watching and especially for all the great comments and hints I received along the way.

View attachment 291055View attachment 291056View attachment 291057View attachment 291058View attachment 291059View attachment 291060View attachment 291061View attachment 291062View attachment 291063View attachment 291064View attachment 291065View attachment 291066View attachment 291067View attachment 291068View attachment 291069View attachment 291070View attachment 291071
Beautifully built and all the detail, stunning!

View attachment 291055View attachment 291056View attachment 291057View attachment 291058View attachment 291059View attachment 291060View attachment 291061View attachment 291062View attachment 291063View attachment 291064View attachment 291065View attachment 291066View attachment 291067View attachment 291068View attachment 291069View attachment 291070View attachment 291071
Endurance in every sense of the word. At that scale the detail is outstanding. Congratulations.

Back