Build Log: US Brig Syren MS: # 2260

NovaStorm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2019
Messages
64
Points
103

If this is the result, after a glass of wine, I will also start to drink it regular in the workshop :)
Uwe Cheers!

I got the rail on, also working on making my own davits to go off the stern in pear. They get cut into the rail over the transom. Went on a buying spree this week lol. Picked up The Terror by Occre, MS's Glad Tidings Pinky and AL's Hermione. Should keep me outta trouble for a while ;)
More pics:
IMG_3335a.jpgIMG_3324a.jpgIMG_3327a.jpgIMG_3345a.jpgIMG_3356a.jpgIMG_3357a.jpgIMG_3370a.jpg
 

Charles QC

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2019
Messages
691
Points
343

Nice Robin you are progressing nicelyThumbs-Up

You paint the hill white it is because you do not have intention to copper itQuestion-Mark
 

NovaStorm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2019
Messages
64
Points
103

You paint the hill white it is because you do not have intention to copper it
Thanks Charles, coming along slowly. My rail is a 16th wider than called for but I am going to live with it. I still plan to copper plate the hull yes. That pic just makes it look painted white from the wood fill I used along the seams maybe. Working on the davits at the stern right now and the rail over the transom.
Awesome job your doing with the figurine you showed me. Amazing bud :)

IMG_3380.jpg
 

Uwek

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Moderator
Blandford Group Build
Joined
Dec 25, 2017
Messages
10,859
Points
828

Location
Vienna, Austria
Very good appearance - how you made the surface? Is it oiled? Because also the light treenails (before) are now darker than the planks - looking very good
 

NovaStorm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2019
Messages
64
Points
103

Thank you Brian and Uwe, yes I sanded down the treenail's with 320 grit followed by finish sand with 600. I then pooled tung oil ontop and let it soak right in. I used Lee Valley tung oil, it has no additives. I was going to thin with turpentine but decided not or the warden would have been after me for the smell...
 

NovaStorm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2019
Messages
64
Points
103

Oh were having fun now :)
I've started turning out copper plates for the hull, using for the most part the procedure in the instruction's. I made up the jig for imprinting the nails in the copper plates, but the slats (channels) that keep the copper straight and in line I did not glue onto a board! One thing I found doing the first trials was having a poster board thick piece of cardboard under the copper gave me much better impressions vs hard wood. See Pics :

In the first pic, I took a copy of drill pattern for port and starboard, actual size from the plans and glued it onto a 1/4 wide piece of hardwood. The pattern was drilled just enough to allow me to still hammer in brass nails partway to act as pins for making the impression. The heads of the nails were cut off and pins filed even and flat across.


IMG_3406.jpg

Second pic with the finished jig in production. you will notice the white strip of poster board under the slat's or runners...

IMG_3413.jpg

The strips were cut up plate size before installing. As they get installed I use a little block of balsa to flatten and burnish them.

IMG_3432a.jpg
To be continues ;)IMG_3435a.jpg
 
Top