CAF 1/48 Scale La Renommee 1744

Thanks for all the ideas on carving the Rabbet, I also read in Frolich's The Art of Ship Modeling that he used a v shaped gouge to carve his rabbet. So I ordered a 1.5mm one, and will practice on scrap to see how it goes. In the meantime....always more frames to build!!

v gouge.jpg

Thanks for all the ideas on carving the Rabbet, I also read in Frolich's The Art of Ship Modeling that he used a v shaped gouge to carve his rabbet. So I ordered a 1.5mm one, and will practice on scrap to see how it goes. In the meantime....always more frames to build!!

View attachment 374885
Hi Paul,

Believe me scraping offers you much more control then carving. A chisel wants to follow the wood grain, and a wood grain is not straight.
Scraping is not doing this and if you have a proper guidence of your scraper it will give you a much better result.

Hi Paul,

Believe me scraping offers you much more control then carving. A chisel wants to follow the wood grain, and a wood grain is not straight.
Scraping is not doing this and if you have a proper guidence of your scraper it will give you a much better result.
Ok, I will try the scraper route, thanks!

Installing the notched portion of the keel, to accept the frames. Used Titebond/Graphite mixture for glue. Used a frame in each section to ensure correct location of Keel-Frames to Jig. Also started mid to stern frames 46 and 47. 11 Frames left to go

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2535.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

Rainy day here....got some frames installed. Starting from the Bow and Stern and working toward the center, seems easier to install that way. Only beveled exterior of frames to be able to fit into and give snug fit in Jig. Final exterior bevel will happen outside the jig when I can use battens. PS: Had to move the screws toward the outside of the jig to give more tension to the Rubber bands....Learning experience....

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

Rainy day here....got some frames installed. Starting from the Bow and Stern and working toward the center, seems easier to install that way. Only beveled exterior of frames to be able to fit into and give snug fit in Jig. Final exterior bevel will happen outside the jig when I can use battens. PS: Had to move the screws toward the outside of the jig to give more tension to the Rubber bands....Learning experience....

View attachment 376648

View attachment 376649

View attachment 376650
Good morning Paul. Precise work. This is what scares me about these POF models, the precision one has to achieve. I know sometime I have to try one but kudos to you and the other guys here who pull these off. Cheers Grant

Good morning Paul. Precise work. This is what scares me about these POF models, the precision one has to achieve. I know sometime I have to try one but kudos to you and the other guys here who pull these off. Cheers Grant
Im just a hacker....who can follow direction, the Chinese Kits make it easy. With your Skills you would be fine. Thanks Paul

Back