Hms Victory by Caldercraft - Build Log

All right, here we go,, I finishing up my Amati Vanguard now as my “learning” ship and am now taking on the Victory which has been my dream for build for the last 30 years since before medical school. I did not make a log of the the Vanguard as I was afraid to show my mistakes and was afraid of what it would look like if I didn’t complete it. I will try to keep this up,,, any warnings in advance of what I am doing well be greatly appreciated. I had to go out and get larger clamps to get the keel set up….

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just started my Caldercraft Victory journey, laid the keel 23 Nov. Have found Paul Vickers log/videos to be very valuable. Have all frames in place, gunport strips in place (a little challenging), and glued up first 4 pieces of hull planking today. It is a beast but fun so far. Good luck to you on the build.
Cheers

All right, here we go,, I finishing up my Amati Vanguard now as my “learning” ship and am now taking on the Victory which has been my dream for build for the last 30 years since before medical school. I did not make a log of the the Vanguard as I was afraid to show my mistakes and was afraid of what it would look like if I didn’t complete it. I will try to keep this up,,, any warnings in advance of what I am doing well be greatly appreciated. I had to go out and get larger clamps to get the keel set up….

View attachment 344311

View attachment 344312
Good morning. Beautiful ship and great kit. Looking forward to your progress. Good luck and enjoy. Cheers Grant

View attachment 344311

View attachment 344312
Hi I'll pull up a seat and watch your progress this is an awesome kit that I'll be building in the future. Enjoy the build.
Tony

It's a shame that you didn't make a build log for HMS Vanguard. When you make mistakes, members here have advice on how you can fix them, and that's a very useful tool (not that I'm calling all of us TOOLS. :D ) The Victory for many modelers is the Holy Grail of models, and you can expect lots of support from the members here who have built HMS Victory. Looking forward to watching you build this magnificant ship!

so, do you have any pics of your vanguard at all ? I assume by that image, it looks like your Keel is setting on a plate of glass? Glass is ok as it is very flat, however, to keep the Keel flat, you might think about putting weights across the length of the false Keel to keep it very straight (until the glue dries). Very slight warps (unnoticeable) can add up as you go along.
Also, you might want to build a "building board" that you will put your Keel into when you start to add the frames. The Building Board is slightly larger than the ship and usually, you would add two small strips (like 1/4") right down the middle with a GAP so the keel will stay straight. I am not sure if you know these things, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

This is one example of such a Building Board - however, there are many variations on this. Those 8 blocks on each side have space in between so that the FRAMES (Bulkheads) will fit. Because the Bulkheads (Frames) will slip in almost all the way down onto the Building Board and you need that space in those blocks.

1670443040357.png

Last edited:
Hey Donnie, how many build logs does it take to get a group build going, I have this kit and may also start soon, that would make three active builds for this ship and company that produced it.

At a minimum 8 to 10. This kit is really nice, but my personal opinion is the due to the cost of kit, it could discourage many from starting a group build. However please start your Vic and this way, there are at least two being built nearly at the same time.

It's a shame that you didn't make a build log for HMS Vanguard. When you make mistakes, members here have advice on how you can fix them, and that's a very useful tool (not that I'm calling all of us TOOLS. :D ) The Victory for many modelers is the Holy Grail of models, and you can expect lots of support from the members here who have built HMS Victory. Looking forward to watching you build this magnificant ship!
so, do you have any pics of your vanguard at all ? I assume by that image, it looks like your Keel is setting on a plate of glass? Glass is ok as it is very flat, however, to keep the Keel flat, you might think about putting weights across the length of the false Keel to keep it very straight (until the glue dries). Very slight warps (unnoticeable) can add up as you go along.
Also, you might want to build a "building board" that you will put your Keel into when you start to add the frames. The Building Board is slightly larger than the ship and usually, you would add two small strips (like 1/4") right down the middle with a GAP so the keel will stay straight. I am not sure if you know these things, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

This is one example of such a Building Board - however, there are many variations on this. Those 8 blocks on each side have space in between so that the FRAMES (Bulkheads) will fit. Because the Bulkheads (Frames) will slip in almost all the way down onto the Building Board and you need that space in those blocks.

Enclosed are some pictures of 99% completed vanguard,, I am still making some rope coils polishing some things up on her,,trying to decide on a case,,,she is far from perfect, but she is mine. As a semiretired surgeon, I learned Along time ago,, perfection is the enemy of good. You have to keep moving,, My father built model boats, and it was always my dream to follow in his footsteps, and now that I am not in the hospital over 100hrs a week, I can actually spend some time with them,, I have a build board, and yes the table top I used was a piece of glass,, thought it was the flattest I had (actually it is one of my two pinball machines)

CF9C966D-E6DC-4D8F-A419-28AA1C8E1B67.jpeg

B6F9B74E-27A7-422A-9404-95141EE8CDDD.jpeg

FA558DD6-7724-44D6-B28E-F8A2FEF8E1CF.jpeg

Just started my Caldercraft Victory journey, laid the keel 23 Nov. Have found Paul Vickers log/videos to be very valuable. Have all frames in place, gunport strips in place (a little challenging), and glued up first 4 pieces of hull planking today. It is a beast but fun so far. Good luck to you on the build.
Cheers
can you tell me where to find the videos????

He has a build log on this site under the member name Paulv 1958. The videos are embedded in that log but can also be found on YouTube when you search for HMS Victory. Both the log and the videos (think he has 7 or so already posted) are fantastic

View attachment 344311

View attachment 344312
Gomez Addams would be proud! LoL

i actually started with the vic has my learning curve , living near by the real things and trying to match it , that was a wonderful exp...

Acabo de comenzar mi viaje de Caldercraft Victory, puse la quilla el 23 de noviembre. He encontrado que los registros / videos de Paul Vickers son muy valiosos. Tenga todos los marcos en su lugar, las tiras de las portas de armas en su lugar (un poco difícil) y pegue las primeras 4 piezas de tablones del casco hoy. Es una bestia pero divertido hasta ahora. Buena suerte en la construcción.
Salud
Es un barco con mucho trabajo. Ánimo

Ella es una belleza, y muy divertida, tienes un montón de videos y tutoriales en tu tubo que realmente ayudan, mantente en contactoque realmente ayudan, manténgase en tou

Back