overview Can you get the most out of your Proxxon MF70?

I have to agree with Steef, especially the bigger the screw, the bigger the imbalance and affects the motor.
Hi Tobias, I think you misunderstood me regarding a bigger lock screw. I referred to the M3 one in the Z-axis slide adjustment. I've now fitted an M5 thumb screw which now locks the cutter depth... Here's a photo.

Stuart

IMG_4975.JPG

The best and cheapest way to deal with the backlash on the z-axis is to do it like I solved it. Don't use the adjustment wheel and the measuring on the wheel. I use a venier caliber, a cheap one for a few euro's plastic but it works fine on my MF70
View attachment 312059
when I turn the adjustment wheel I can see exactly the movement of the z-axis
Like Jim said, you need some skills to mechanical change the backlash
Good idea
I have to agree with all of the above folks and also agree with you as well. For aluminum and\or brass the 6.00mm (and higher) endmills I would not recommend. For wood of all kinds, it will work just fine.

Also, to eliminate the backlash at the 'Z-axis', you would need to change the main bolt with a different tread type. It is not so easy and requires some machinist skils\tools. However, I use thrust bearings (the same we use for x\y-axis), and I have a 95% improvement. Not that it is starting to easily operate, but it almost removes the backlash. I would even say, I didn't feel it at all. Also, now it is possible to use the mill as the drill press.
Hi Jim, I do have an engineering background to all my working life, so maybe it's another project as a vacation from the shipyard. Think I'll use Steef's idea with vernier, in the meantime, & as I don't intend doing anymore 6mm milling of aluminium (on MF70), I'll make do with the M5 locking thumb screw I fitted -see photo.

IMG_4976.JPG

Here you can see a little bit how it's done. I used a venier that's made of plastic. On ali just a few euro. That is good enough for the job because the accuracy is 0,05 mm. That is enough for our hobby. Because it is plastic it's easy to adapt and drill in it. I use double tape and CA glue to attach it to the motor hous and make a mold of wood to hold the venier. All the parts sticking out or what are in the way I cut off.
Hope this will help you.

View attachment 312125View attachment 312126View attachment 312127View attachment 312128View attachment 312129View attachment 312130View attachment 312131View attachment 312132

Done !! Thank you for the idea Steef66 !!!

20220604_174204.jpg

Daniel

Yes, Mon Amie. I saw this video highly recommend it as a must upgrade to all Proxxon MF70 users. It is worth saying, IMHO, that the most challenging task, while using MF70, requires some force and effort, is to use the vertical feed screw. This video is a great help as @Steef66 Stephan mentioned and can be accomplished without difficulties, but the improvement is worth trying.

View attachment 297487

Here are the bearings I bought for this task and the link to AliExpress. * The red square is the part you will have to order.

View attachment 297486

I ordered the bearings. The rest requires disassembling that frightens me.

This is no doubt a very basic question with probably a very obvious answer. It concerns the accessories that come in the box with the MF70. In the photo below what are the bolts, nuts, and washers for, which I have shown as B in the red square? (I know about the step clamp blocks at the top).

Thanks for helping me :).

9ED10D22-B962-40E1-8BE0-801C5842B7C5.jpeg

This is no doubt a very basic question with probably a very obvious answer. It concerns the accessories that come in the box with the MF70. In the photo below what are the bolts, nuts, and washers for, which I have shown as B in the red square? (I know about the step clamp blocks at the top).

View attachment 336414
do you have a mini vice with your mill?
That's what I used those things for. Not sure about the washers, though.

View attachment 336414
Hi Roger the screws supplied are probably for screwing onto the workbench.
1DC932F8-209E-4EC0-8EDB-1E10588E0801.jpeg

You can use them to screw a wooden top to the table. Or whatever is needed.
Interesting Stephan and a possible use for them but I’m wondering what purpose Proxxon had in mind when they were packaged with the step clamp blocks.

The larger nuts fit in the T slots of the mill table and those 1.6cm x 3mm bolts are threaded to match those nuts as well as the smaller ones. So now I am wondering if they are for an accessory that remains nameless :D. By the way the very small, limited manual gives no clue.

Thanks.

Interesting Stephan and a possible use for them but I’m wondering what purpose Proxxon had in mind when they were packaged with the step clamp blocks.

The larger nuts fit in the T slots of the mill table and those 1.6cm x 3mm bolts are threaded to match those nuts as well as the smaller ones. So now I am wondering if they are for an accessory that remains nameless :D. By the way the very small, limited manual gives no clue.

Thanks.
I agree. The manual is a joke

I think this is turning into one of Jim’s “what is it?” type puzzles ROTF.
Thank you Roger for putting trust in my response. However, I might disappoint you, that I don't know the exact answer, however, according to the assembly manual, with the 4 x M4 Allen screws you will attach a compound table, and the milling machine itself fastened with another 4 screws.

1666740616436.png

Thank you Roger for putting trust in my response. However, I might disappoint you, that I don't know the exact answer, however, according to the assembly manual, with the 4 x M4 Allen screws you will attach a compound table, and the milling machine itself fastened with another 4 screws.

View attachment 336484
Hello Jim and thanks. I am very much a newcomer to milling so have a lot to learn :).

I thought more about Stephans response above and I probably misunderstood what he meant. However, thinking about what he said I think (but am not sure) that those small screws, assorted small nuts and washers are themselves the accessories. Would they be used to secure small metal plates (I don’t know the proper name) to hold down a very small workpiece. Much like the larger ones are used for the step clamps (See my photo post #89 above). Proxxon did or do not supply anything that the small screws, nuts etc can be used with. Maybe the operator makes or buys small suitable hold down “plates” to assist with a variety of mill table setups?

1102FDCF-67DD-44C5-A88C-D7F9C1FF5F27.jpeg

. Maybe the operator makes or buys small suitable hold down “plates” to assist with a variety of mill table setups?
Possibility, yes! I don't think why not! The square nuts are the perfect fit in the 'T' slot and as you and Stepf said could be used to tighten something small on the table.

But, I rarely use the clamping set. Once I have acquired the machinist vise, I use the clamping set very rarely. It doesn't mean it is useless, of cause NOT, but if you think about it for a moment, the actual working milling surface is relatively small. Tying small parts with this set is somewhat impractical. But here comes another thing: The larger size of the endmill is 3.17mm. How many passes you would have to do to mill a flat surface of 100mm x 50mm? This mill is great for processing small surfaces.

Hope I didn't disappoint you... I sure do NOT!

Possibility, yes! I don't think why not! The square nuts are the perfect fit in the 'T' slot and as you and Stepf said could be used to tighten something small on the table.

But, I rarely use the clamping set. Once I have acquired the machinist vise, I use the clamping set very rarely. It doesn't mean it is useless, of cause NOT, but if you think about it for a moment, the actual working milling surface is relatively small. Tying small parts with this set is somewhat impractical. But here comes another thing: The larger size of the endmill is 3.17mm. How many passes you would have to do to mill a flat surface of 100mm x 50mm? This mill is great for processing small surfaces.

Hope I didn't disappoint you... I sure do NOT!

A great response Jim and a lot of help, you didn’t disappoint - thank you again.

Not having experience with milling I guess I was looking for an obvious solution for all those little items. After reading what you wrote I am now sure those small parts are used in unique ways that an experienced operator can find many uses for. I have a lot to learn :).

Back