Chaperon 1884 Stern Wheeler

Not much accomplished in the shipyard yesterday. The outside temperature got up 72F/22C, so some of the Spring cleanup got started. BUT as is typical this time of year a major storm is forecast with a strong possibility of snow by tomorrow morning.

This morning the stanchions between the Boiler and Hurricane deck were trimmed to the proper height.

Trimming the stanchions involved one of my favorite tools.

4B581B81-F2F3-49D2-BE72-0C8E0AE73662.jpeg

The LEGOs blocks were almost the right height, I had to raid the Admiral’s nail maintenance box for an emery board to get the last millimeter of height. It was a slow process to align the decks and glue the stanchions one by one. The stanchions were trimmed between the Main deck and Boiler deck using a “flush cut sprue” cutter. A half block LEGO was just the right thickness (1/4 inch) to act as an guide to trim the height of stanchion above the Hurricane deck.

Jan

Last edited:
After squinting, glueing, measuring, and repeating the process for countless stanchions I took a break. I’ve mentioned innumerable times I HATE to paint, but a guy has to do what he has to do.

SO, the paddle wheel color.

FE9AB1A6-DDBD-43F6-B84E-E826CE965151.jpeg

The left is RED, the middle is CRIMSON, the right is BRIGHT RED.

I think the RED is to much, the CRIMSON about right, the BRIGHT RED too visible. The paddles will also be painted the same color as the wheels.

So RED, CRIMSON, BRIGHT RED ???

Jan

After squinting, glueing, measuring, and repeating the process for countless stanchions I took a break. I’ve mentioned innumerable times I HATE to paint, but a guy has to do what he has to do.

View attachment 297025

I think the RED is to much, the CRIMSON about right, the BRIGHT RED too visible. The paddles will also be painted the same color as the wheels.

Jan
Crimson is my humble opinion.

I agree 100% with Paul, Jan. She is really coming together very nicely in what is an "inspiring" build!
Thank you for the vote Heinrich, I don’t know about “inspiring”, but it‘s good kit to learn different skills. There are occasional AL-FI moments, AHA revelations and even some PANIC events. But PVA glue does dissolve with very hot water, so the occasional “Do-Overs” are easily accomplished.

View attachment 297025

Jan
My vote is also Crimson. But I know the discussion about my BN-Red. So, I am glad I am not the only Crimson voter. ;)
And about all the stanchions: you trimmed the line off the decks very well.
Regards, Peter

My vote is also Crimson. But I know the discussion about my BN-Red. So, I am glad I am not the only Crimson voter. ;)
And about all the stanchions: you trimmed the line off the decks very well.
Regards, Peter
Hmm, I seem to remember that BN discussion. I’m leaning toward the Crimson, the other reds seem to much “red” in sunlight and “reflective” in lamp light.

:D From the Admiral “the one in the middle” :D

Hello Jan. True story- crimson it its;). Fantastic work all round. These paddle boats look like really fun models to build. Cheers
I agree, these type of boats are a fun build. Like other builds there are head scratcher moments, the “aw gee wiz” times and the “ro-oh” that doesn’t look right revelations. The instructions and plans are easy to follow. I‘ve also learned to not out pace the instructions.

Last edited:
A little time here, a little time there. Paint the paddle wheel bits, slightly sand and add another coat. Cautious
While. doing that little chore I started on other little build parts. The rails for the stairs on the Hurricane deck and a little structure that sits at the end of the Hurricane deck.

That little building became a curiosity search, its referred to as a Chicken Coup???

A4A53EDC-CD65-4652-AED0-3D68916FFD0D.jpeg

The answer wasn’t easy to find, but I did find one.

1D30E72E-6C9F-4536-B680-B5F3D5CA43EA.jpeg

The wonderful 3D imaging the Chaperon by Jens Middlebach.

So another mystery solved.

Very interesting about the chicken coup. You are making great progress now on the Chaperon! Thumbsup

Back