Chaperon 1884 Stern Wheeler

Steamboats, wow, lots of stuff to browse on this website.

463122EE-5ED3-4772-9F45-A65077AB03AD_1_201_a.jpeg

AE49FCAE-FE4C-4018-B17A-662841FD3A8B_1_201_a.jpeg

FDB0E134-A904-4C85-BCAF-AB68FC817494_1_201_a.jpeg

Pictures from the Online Steamboat Museum, Dave Thomson Collection

I think this is the answer for my staircase problem, the steps should be at back of the Hurricane deck. Note that in each picture there is definitely a step over at the top step.

Last edited:
Good-looking ladder, Jan! Are you waiting for glue to dry on the WB?

Good morning Jan. Your DIY parts are better than kit issue parts. I think a scratch build is in the near future ;) Cheers Grante
I enjoy doing the DIY parts. Imagineering little improvements is a big part of taking a break from other projects that are Thumbs-Downat times. I don’t know about scratch building, I’ve yet to complete the three ships I’m currently working on (plus there is on more on the way) and there’s the RR layout in the basement ( a work in progress for many many years) that still doesn’t have any permanent scenery. A Sopwith Pup and a Fokker Dr.I kit are on closet shelf, So if I manage to complete all those items a scratch build Paddle Wheeler would a nice project.;)

Talk about distractions, wonderful smell coming out the kitchen. The Admiral is baking Molasses cookies. Timeout for a QC check on the first batch. :D Don't ask I'm not sharingExclamation-Mark

I have been debating on building the same model here. I had the same problem with Model Shipways laser cuts on all the bulk heads totally cut crooked. It was so bad that they sent me a whole new frame work for the ship. I will be following this one and have fun building her.

I have been debating on building the same model here. I had the same problem with Model Shipways laser cuts on all the bulk heads totally cut crooked. It was so bad that they sent me a whole new frame work for the ship. I will be following this one and have fun building her.
Welcome to the log. I'm slowly but surely working on this ship. There a few foibles I've run across. The biggest problems I encountered are at the beginning of my log. I wound planking the Main and Boiler decks because the MS scribing of the plank lines was so poor. Also I had to do a fix on the smoke stack holes since then I've been inventing as I build.

I don't know which is worse. Watching paint dry or waiting for glue to set. So to keep busy we finished the little ladder project.

View attachment 323873

View attachment 323874

I like this version much better than the kits version. The Admiral thinks it's "cute", so Guess it must be alright :D
Respect my friend! Fiddling with these little titbits are not for me! ROTF

I don't know which is worse. Watching paint dry or waiting for glue to set. So to keep busy we finished the little ladder project.

View attachment 323873

View attachment 323874

I like this version much better than the kits version. The Admiral thinks it's "cute", so Guess it must be alright :D
Good morning Jan. I have to laugh ROTF ROTF . When I make something I think is cool and I bring Arlene (The Admiral) to look (e.g. my ships boats) she also remarks “cute”. It’s like...that is not cute it’s a pinnacle and is awesomeROTF. I guess their “cute” is approval. Your ladder is awesome:D. Cheers Grant

View attachment 323873

View attachment 323874

That is a very nice personal touch on your steamer, Jan. It looks ‘natural’ and indeed: much better then the side-steps.
Regards, Peter

Good morning Jan. I have to laugh ROTF ROTF . When I make something I think is cool and I bring Arlene (The Admiral) to look (e.g. my ships boats) she also remarks “cute”. It’s like...that is not cute it’s a pinnacle and is awesomeROTF. I guess their “cute” is approval. Your ladder is awesome:D. Cheers Grant
Yup, I think it’s great to get local approval :D, for me it usually starts with “what ya been doing?”

Back