Chaperon 1884 Stern Wheeler

Good morning Jan. Yep, the Ladies with those long dresses would have an issue there. I don’t know this paddle boat, but would there be a hinge mechanism to remove and re insert while under “steam”? Cheers Grant
I was thinking the exact same thing Grant - a hinge that would allow it to swing open like a gate?
Wow you guys are good, love the hinge idea. BUT, I think the critical modeler is not supposed to note this minor kit error. I say that because …. Looking at a screen shot of the Chaperon 3D rendition this configuration makes a lot more sense.

45500E53-F918-4A1C-82DB-4A6A4E4BDEB9.jpeg

A nice clean walk through.

Last edited:
Had a bit of time to spend in the boatyard.

I'm still diddling around with the little fix for the Pilot house walkway and staircase.

DDECBA7B-D73A-46ED-A7DE-2A8D85AF84D3_1_201_a.jpeg

All the parts are ready for assembly. I raised the walkway enough to be even with the trim and added a step at the top of the stairway to "cover" the trim. Next step is to rebuild the steps that go down to the skylight. The stairs need to be lengthened a bit because the re-do.

Stairs, steps and “Do-Overs”.

I think I’m finally getting these right. Two sets completed and two more to go. The entire experience has added many $$$$ to the bad word jar. I think by the time I finish this build I’ll have enough in the jar for a down payment on another kit.

7E20CA31-4CE9-4D45-800C-B1D5ED8C4CCA.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh Darn, it's hot and muggy outside. The UV index is at 8, the temperature is 88F/31C, Pool temperature is like a Sauna, what's a guy gonna do???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Admiral says "Why don't you go inside and work on your boat", What me argue? :D:D No sir, not me, orders are orders.:D

So I'm working some more magic on the Pilot house walkway.

18692050-DDFF-4055-9C74-4C2FBB807A83_1_201_a.jpeg

Just little more tweaking required. The base of the walkway needs to be lightly sanded to conform to the side to side curve of the roof. If the weather holds I might be able to complete this step of the build by the end of the week.

At the rate I'm going I should be done with this build in about 203? ROTFROTF.

Last edited:
Nice going Jan. You are making good progress and if it takes a while, then so be it.

Nice going Jan. You are making good progress and if it takes a while, then so be it.
Hi Heinrich.

I blame Peter V a lot. I now look at the plans, the kit parts and get into the “Hmm, what can I do with this mode”. Currently I’m working my way down from the Pilot house to the main deck. There is a huge amount of Brass trim that needs to be added to the various decks. I can see that there will be a lot handling, turning, tipping, etc. Being all thumbs it’s going to be a very slow process.

Hi Heinrich.

I blame Peter V a lot. I now look at the plans, the kit parts and get into the “Hmm, what can I do with this mode”. Currently I’m working my way down from the Pilot house to the main deck. There is a huge amount of Brass trim that needs to be added to the various decks. I can see that there will be a lot handling, turning, tipping, etc. Being all thumbs it’s going to be a very slow process.
Take a break and let's plank the WB together! ROTF

I blame Peter V a lot.
Ouch ouch ouch ouch, Jan. I am so very very very very sorry for all the trouble :rolleyes:Sick……. that I'm afraid to open the post when there is another update of your Chaperon.;)
And then I'm happy to see that you're a step further. :) And each time you have found a solution. Okay
But that such a small house on top, but so clearly in sight, takes so much time ....... I know all about it.
Regards, Peter

Ouch ouch ouch ouch, Jan. I am so very very very very sorry for all the trouble :rolleyes:Sick……. that I'm afraid to open the post when there is another update of your Chaperon.;)
And then I'm happy to see that you're a step further. :) And each time you have found a solution. Okay
But that such a small house on top, but so clearly in sight, takes so much time ....... I know all about it.
Regards, Peter
Good evening Peter...I have a feeling Jan enjoys each and every “ouch” thoroughly. Cheers Grant

Regards, Peter
ROTFNot to worry, I’m absolutely inspired by your thought processes and the fantastic results you achieve. Besides a youngster like me needs all the Mentors he can corral.

Good evening Peter...I have a feeling Jan enjoys each and every “ouch” thoroughly. Cheers Grant
Grant, you are absolutely right. I only hope his ”pain” can be eased with several BeerBeerBeer

Back