Chaperon 1884 Stern Wheeler

Don't worry Jan. Wait until I tell you later about my blonde moment (all apologies beforehand to blondes) with the mastheads. And that was on the third re-do! ;)

I think by the time I finish this build and you finish WB#1 and WB#2 our "RE-DO" jars are going to be overflowing.
Good morning Jan. I enjoy the humour from the guys- laughter so important in life. Ron owes you some redo coins ;). Your “bumbled through this build” has produced a fine Chaperon for sure. Really good. Your model has convinced me that a river boat is in my future. Cheers Grant

Good morning Jan. I enjoy the humour from the guys- laughter so important in life. Ron owes you some redo coins ;). Your “bumbled through this build” has produced a fine Chaperon for sure. Really good. Your model has convinced me that a river boat is in my future. Cheers Grant
Hi Grant, I have to agree without a bit of humor life would be a little dull. I’m delighted to think that my “bumbling efforts” on this ship has you thinking about building a river boat. If I had to guess I would say I’m at the 50% point with this build. All the major pieces (except the paddle wheel) are complete. The fine finish (trim, smokestacks, guardrail,etc) needs to be added. So little by little I’m working my way down from the Pilot house to the main deck.

I’ts all Peter V’s fault:

AL-FI :D:D

The Pilot house walkway as provided in the kit.

View attachment 314283

Wow, I was not impressed by the looks of this little piece.

Hmm, stepped outside of the box, thought about it most of the day and

View attachment 314284

planked and edged it with bits and pieces of Mahogany.

@Peter Voogt, how did I do?
Hi Jan.
I'm so glad I lit you! :) That AL-FI is now watching over your shoulder.:D And sometimes whispers in your ear.Cautious
And you did it TOP!
The best build part is a scratch build part.
Regards, Peter

3 ships at once! You’re not just a ship builder, you’re a juggler! ;)
@Dean62, thanks for stopping by. I am having a great time building these little ships. They are a pleasant respite from other “sometimes” frustrating projects. This time of year are there a lot of time consuming chores that need attention. The top of the list are the Admirals flower gardens, pool maintenance and other outdoor chores.

:mad::mad::mad:Off this morning to the big box store to pick up a tool I had to order on line for store pick up only. :mad::mad::mad: Thirty minute drive to store, Admiral and I mask up (we're cautious Old F...ts"), wait in line for twenty minutes, out comes clerk with the boxed tool, clerk apologizes for box condition, says "It's slightly banged up." :mad::mad::mad:Admiral says "Slightly Banged up?, geez looks like an Elephant sat on it and then kicked it down the road." Clerk says "we can discount the item to compensate for the box damage." OH BOY, OH BOY, I can't tell you guys the Admirals response, no sir, I would get banned for SOS for life. Needless to say, the store now has the item in stock and I had to run to keep up with the Admiral's stormy exit from the store. Being the grateful guy that I am I took her to her favorite sea food restaurant for an early afternoon libation (As, the song goes, "It's five O'clock somewhere) and some great seafood.:D

Of late the issue with damaged packaging seems to be a recurring theme in the USA. One can understand that these centers work under pressure, but the items are paid for by other peoples' hard-earned money. One would expect them at least to be cognizant of that. In any case, seafood sounds great!

Of late the issue with damaged packaging seems to be a recurring theme in the USA. One can understand that these centers work under pressure, but the items are paid for by other peoples' hard-earned money. One would expect them at least to be cognizant of that. In any case, seafood sounds great!
We can't lay blame on the clerk that served us. The item should have been flagged as possibly damaged before the customer (Me) was notified it was ready for pick up. It was shipped to the store from the manufacturer, so all the handling of the item from start to finish was under someones control.

:mad::mad::mad:Off this morning to the big box store to pick up a tool I had to order on line for store pick up only. :mad::mad::mad: Thirty minute drive to store, Admiral and I mask up (we're cautious Old F...ts"), wait in line for twenty minutes, out comes clerk with the boxed tool, clerk apologizes for box condition, says "It's slightly banged up." :mad::mad::mad:Admiral says "Slightly Banged up?, geez looks like an Elephant sat on it and then kicked it down the road." Clerk says "we can discount the item to compensate for the box damage." OH BOY, OH BOY, I can't tell you guys the Admirals response, no sir, I would get banned for SOS for life. Needless to say, the store now has the item in stock and I had to run to keep up with the Admiral's stormy exit from the store. Being the grateful guy that I am I took her to her favorite sea food restaurant for an early afternoon libation (As, the song goes, "It's five O'clock somewhere) and some great seafood.:D
Good morning Jan. Oh boy! Plenty elephants here in SA- box usually open as well:rolleyes:. I had to smile, giggle in fact as I read your story- it is beautifully written and lessons taught on how to switch a bad day into an enjoyable one. Always 5 o’clock somewhereROTF, good food and company do wonders for the soul. Cheers Grant

Good morning Jan. Oh boy! Plenty elephants here in SA- box usually open as well:rolleyes:. I had to smile, giggle in fact as I read your story- it is beautifully written and lessons taught on how to switch a bad day into an enjoyable one. Always 5 o’clock somewhereROTF, good food and company do wonders for the soul. Cheers Grant
Hi Grant.
Indeed, Jimmy Buffett saved the day. The food was superb, the Admiral enjoyed her Chardonnay and we had the opportunity to dine on the restaurant’s ocean terrace. So in the end it turned out be an exceptional day.:D

23094EBB-A1DA-4004-A09C-C4E59D098B54.jpeg

The view from the restaurant balcony.

Last edited:
Hmm. Why would this be "OK?

Dry fit of the walkway and stair case as fitted asper build instructions.

DDB7300A-C512-45E2-865E-1D7139EF68AC_1_201_a.jpeg

I decided to continue with the Mahogany planking and also plank the two stair platforms. Regardless of my little modification the circled are seems odd to me. Why would the trim be in the way of an obvious walkway???? Why doesn't the walkway extend to the stair platform???? I think this will be a major "RE-DO".

Jan

Hmm. Why would this be "OK?

Dry fit of the walkway and stair case as fitted asper build instructions.

View attachment 315033

I decided to continue with the Mahogany planking and also plank the two stair platforms. Regardless of my little modification the circled are seems odd to me. Why would the trim be in the way of an obvious walkway???? Why doesn't the walkway extend to the stair platform???? I think this will be a major "RE-DO".

Jan
Good morning Jan. Yep, the Ladies with those long dresses would have an issue there. I don’t know this paddle boat, but would there be a hinge mechanism to remove and re insert while under “steam”? Cheers Grant

Good morning Jan. Yep, the Ladies with those long dresses would have an issue there. I don’t know this paddle boat, but would there be a hinge mechanism to remove and re insert while under “steam”? Cheers Grant
I was thinking the exact same thing Grant - a hinge that would allow it to swing open like a gate?

Back