Charles Royal Yacht, 1674, Scale 1:64, by Woody Joe (Japan)

Hi Jim
I have surched a little about your Yacht, to find out what figurehead the model should have. There is a model of a Yacht in the NMM what was named
Charles. Built 1675, this model show a simple lion figurehead

Best regards
Willi (schifferlbauer)

Royal Yacht 4.jpg

Royal Yacht 3.jpg

Royal Yacht 6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks, Willi for the pictures and attention to my blog. Most likely Woody Joe kit was designed base on this contemporary model: there few similarities, but more differences, however. :( But...because of this, I am convinced to carve (at least to try) the figurehead, and it will be Lion. :) Thanks again!

WOW - Looking great - and we will compare with the Jim´s carving :cool:
...this is the one I was afraid the most...the comparison! ;) But I will try, nothing hurts trying. If you want to learn, nothing should stop you and you better start trying! Thank you all.

Hi Jim
It´s pretty good that you will carve the lion by your self
Start the first rough carving of your lion on the deepest parts. this will help you to get the right shape.

Best regards
Willi (schifferlbauer)

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 52
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 49
Excellent help, Willi! Many, many thanks! My original scale is 1:64 and figurehead somewhat small 40.0mm, I thought, to practice on a larger size first (100.00mm). This way, It will help me to visualize the cuts and the deepenest. Actually, one of your images contained a 3D view, this should help a lot!! Thank you!

What I would love to know is how you cut a block of pearwood into 0.5mm x 4mm strips. That obviously involves tools that are not in my basement. Could you share your secret with me?
Thanks,
Peter

What I would love to know is how you cut a block of pearwood into 0.5mm x 4mm strips. That obviously involves tools that are not in my basement. Could you share your secret with me?
Thanks,
Peter
Thanks, Peter. Obviously there is no secret, at least for the SOS members. ;) You are absolutely correct, to cut such strips, you will need some mechanical tooling. One of my best tools in the shop (for now) is Byrnes precision table saw. With the right # of teeth blade and quality timber, this table saw capable of cutting really thin strips. Usually, I order blocks of the desired heights e.g. 4mm. 5mm ... and then slice the required thickness. Below is the link for Byrnes machines website

Back