Columbus ships, Santa Maria and Pinta, kit by Amati... [COMPLETED BUILD]

The main sail, at least upper part, since I will make bonnet so the bottom part is still to be done, is ready for adding Christopher' flag on it..

SantaMAria986.jpg

Sail reef lines are done out of 1mm tan rope, glued to the sail with D3 glue and around clew areas, a bit of CA was used to speed up the process and to make the rope sticking more securely to the sail. The hot gun was also used to speed up drying of D3 glue around reef lines.

SantaMAria987.jpg

SantaMAria988.jpg

The buoy is also completed, now need to figure out find the way how to attach it to the model..

SantaMAria989.jpg

SantaMAria990.jpg

Happy modelling..

Buoys are completed and mounted on the ship... I used a bit of D3 glue and tweezer to stretch the rope visually...I was not sure how to secure buoy to rigging line and to keep the excess rope nice and secured so ended up using this method able to find on some other forums...

SantaMAria991.jpg

SantaMAria992.jpg

SantaMAria994.jpg

SantaMAria995.jpg

Since I am planning to have bonnet main sail, I started preparing the rope to accommodate this design with a bit of modification...

1703190647589.png

SantaMAria996.jpg

SantaMAria997.jpg

SantaMAria998.jpg

During the work slight miscalculation ended up in 1cm gap between two reef line ends..

SantaMAria999.jpg

.. but corrected..

SantaMAria1000.jpg

So if you don't tell anyone, it will be hardly visible, particularly since that area will hold lacing..

The last step was to cut excess rope just above the knot.

SantaMAria1001.jpg

Happy modelling..

The main sail for SM was completed and ready to stamp a famous Christopher's cross.. It was done in EasyDraw software and printed out on the LightWhite transfer paper, using my inkjet printer. Now it is the time to transfer it to the sail... must say some concerns were present...

SantaMAria1002.jpg

After ironing it for a while...

SantaMAria1003.jpg

And done..

SantaMAria1004.jpg

OK, no mess, no issues. The only issue I encountered is since I was using a white glue to glue stripes of material for a sale, under the heat, glue lightly started to transfer on the glass which I used as a table and sail was kind of stucking to the glass. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of...

SantaMAria1005.jpg

Main sail for Pinta was also done, next are reef lines...

SantaMAria1006.jpg

Then I started sewing the bonnet...

SantaMAria1007.jpg

The black tread is used to pull one end of the seizing rope thru so it is not visible after...

SantaMAria1008.jpg

SantaMAria1009.jpg

The pilot holes were made for bonnet; this is done since I glued reef lines so the sail is very hard on edges... if I ended up sewing sails, there will be no need for pilot holes..

SantaMAria10<0.jpg

SantaMAria1011.jpg

SantaMAria1012.jpg

SantaMAria1013.jpg

SantaMAria1014.jpg

SantaMAria1015.jpg

... more to come... Happy modelling..

The main sail for SM was completed and ready to stamp a famous Christopher's cross.. It was done in EasyDraw software and printed out on the LightWhite transfer paper, using my inkjet printer. Now it is the time to transfer it to the sail... must say some concerns were present...

View attachment 416077

View attachment 416076

And done..

View attachment 416075

OK, no mess, no issues. The only issue I encountered is since I was using a white glue to glue stripes of material for a sale, under the heat, glue lightly started to transfer on the glass which I used as a table and sail was kind of stucking to the glass. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of...

View attachment 416074

View attachment 416073

View attachment 416072

The black tread is used to pull one end of the seizing rope thru so it is not visible after...

View attachment 416071

View attachment 416070

The pilot holes were made for bonnet; this is done since I glued reef lines so the sail is very hard on edges... if I ended up sewing sails, there will be no need for pilot holes..

View attachment 416069

View attachment 416068

View attachment 416067

View attachment 416066

View attachment 416065

View attachment 416064

Absolutely Beautiful work, eye watering great journey on the sails. Awesome.

View attachment 416077

View attachment 416076

And done..

View attachment 416075

View attachment 416074

View attachment 416073

View attachment 416072

View attachment 416071

View attachment 416070

View attachment 416069

View attachment 416068

View attachment 416067

View attachment 416066

View attachment 416065

View attachment 416064

removed by me. I saw the answer to my question in your post

Last edited:
For all SM builder... if you find useful mainsail cross I made, I can share pdf file in 1:1 scale which can be printed out, just PM me.. After few attempts to paint the cross by hand that did not produce satisfactory results, I decided to use software and made/print/transfer to the sails, both for Pinta and Santa Maria.

The lacing continue...

SantaMAria1016.jpg

SantaMAria1017.jpg

.. and finally done.

SantaMAria1019.jpg

SantaMAria1020.jpg

SantaMAria1021.jpg

Now it is time to be attached to the main yard.

SantaMAria1022.jpg

Happy modelling..

SantaMAria1018.jpg

Good morning Moreplovac,
I'm really impressed by the neat work on the sail and I'm looking forward to seeing you soon in the group build of Le Rochefort. I can still learn a lot from you regarding the work on the rigging and the sails.

Good morning Moreplovac,
I'm really impressed by the neat work on the sail and I'm looking forward to seeing you soon in the group build of Le Rochefort. I can still learn a lot from you regarding the work on the rigging and the sails.
Thanks Tobias, wrapping up SM build while waiting for a pear wood boards ordered for Le Rochefort...
Cheers

While working on attaching mainsail to the main yard, the yard was damaged and snapped at one part.

SantaMAria1024.jpg

SantaMAria1023.jpg

It was pretty much un-reperable so new yard had to be made...

SantaMAria1025.jpg

SantaMAria1027.jpg

SantaMAria1026.jpg

The layer of danish oil was applied to new yard and while yard was in the drying process, I finished up preparing staysail..

SantaMAria1028.jpg

SantaMAria1029.jpg

Happy modelling..

While working on attaching mainsail to the main yard, the yard was damaged and snapped at one part.

View attachment 416615

View attachment 416616

It was pretty much un-reperable so new yard had to be made...

View attachment 416614

View attachment 416612

View attachment 416613

The layer of danish oil was applied to new yard and while yard was in the drying process, I finished up preparing staysail..

View attachment 416611

View attachment 416610

Happy modelling..
Happens to the best of us. What a pain in the neck, though. Glad you recovered

View attachment 416077

View attachment 416076

And done..

View attachment 416075

View attachment 416074

View attachment 416073

View attachment 416072

View attachment 416071

View attachment 416070

View attachment 416069

View attachment 416068

View attachment 416067

View attachment 416066

View attachment 416065

View attachment 416064

So good!

Work on staysail continues...

SantaMAria1032.jpg

SantaMAria1033.jpg

SantaMAria1034.jpg

SantaMAria1035.jpg

SantaMAria1036.jpg

SantaMAria1037.jpg

SantaMAria1038.jpg

SantaMAria1039.jpg

SantaMAria1040.jpg

SantaMAria1041.jpg

And staysail is completed....

Second attempt to attach mainsail to the yard without breakage...

SantaMAria1042.jpg

SantaMAria1043.jpg

SantaMAria1044.jpg

SantaMAria1045.jpg

SantaMAria1046.jpg

Also, the lantern was added to the ship. I replaced little copper pipe that comes with the kit since it needed to be bended a bit and like any other pipe, it will look squeezed at the point of bending so I used 4mm rod and bend it in the correct shape. For a bending template I used some old wire and shaped it, then followed the template, bended the rod. I also made a small rod holding piece that was attached to the deck; it just looked unfinished if I just glue the rod to the deck..
Did not spend to much effort to make lantern look more realistic, beside some light weathering and excluded from lantern the red particles that suppose to simulate a windows and fire inside... just did not like it.. Instead just applied a bit of orange paint instead...

SantaMAria1047.jpg

SantaMAria1048.jpg

SantaMAria1049.jpg

Happy modelling..

SantaMAria1035.jpg

Work on staysail continues...

View attachment 417442

View attachment 417441

View attachment 417440

View attachment 417439

View attachment 417436

View attachment 417435

View attachment 417434

View attachment 417433

View attachment 417432

View attachment 417431

And staysail is completed....

Second attempt to attach mainsail to the yard without breakage...

View attachment 417430

View attachment 417429

View attachment 417428

View attachment 417427

View attachment 417426

Also, the lantern was added to the ship. I replaced little copper pipe that comes with the kit since it needed to be bended a bit and like any other pipe, it will look squeezed at the point of bending so I used 4mm rod and bend it in the correct shape. For a bending template I used some old wire and shaped it, then followed the template, bended the rod. I also made a small rod holding piece that was attached to the deck; it just looked unfinished if I just glue the rod to the deck..
Did not spend to much effort to make lantern look more realistic, beside some light weathering and excluded from lantern the red particles that suppose to simulate a windows and fire inside... just did not like it.. Instead just applied a bit of orange paint instead...

View attachment 417425

View attachment 417424

View attachment 417423

Happy modelling..

View attachment 417437
Love your sails and rigging. Superb work.

Back