Don Farr's Blandford Cross Section Build

Latest update, one side having fenders port sills and balast port done, working on the other side, still much to learn, the rails really took a long time to do with many do overs, still not happy with them, have to wait awhile to see if i am going to take them apart and start them from scratch probaly will do them over but will build some off model first to see if i can do better, left to do are steps( HOPE SOMEONE DOES THAT BEFORE I AM READY) deadeyes, and install the guns carriages are complete, i do not want to rig them hopefuly doc blake will get there before i am ready just have not deceided yet, again as always all coments appreciated. Don20190818_002132.jpg20190818_002132.jpg

Hi All, Thanks for the likes, now working on the dreaded steps hope i have it right before contiuing I want to see if I am right so two pictures if it is good will finish them up, JUST HATE TO DO SOO MANY AND THEN FIND OUT I HAVE DONE THEM WRONG SO HELP IS NEEDED. Don

IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS COMING TO AN END OF THE BUILD, AND WHAT A LEARNING EXPERIENCE, AFTER VIEWING MIKE 41, BIG MIKE DOC BLAKE AND OTHERS MINE IS SORT OF UGH, BUT AS A LEARNING EXERCISE THE EXPERIENCE WAS FIRST RATE, THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MY LOWER DECK AND THE MAIN DECK IS 100% BETTER AND AS LONG AS I PROGRESS I CONSIDER IT A SUCCESS, NOW SHOWING THE STEPS COMPLETE, WORKING ON THE CHANELS, AND STILL FIGURING OUT IF I AM GOING TO AND HOW TO RIG THE GUNS,,,NOW SHOWING THE STEPS DONE, AS ALWAYS COMENTS AND SUGESTIONS WELCOME20190824_221045.jpg20190824_221045.jpg20190824_221152.jpg20190824_221334.jpg

another update slowly getting there, showing channels and dead eyes, using MIKE41 idea of using string for straps instead i used rope, it did not come out the best, but acceptable trying to cut some of the rope but it is CA glued and if i try to remove tocut would really create a mess, but i have one more side to do to correct the problem, still thinking of the guns to rig or not to rig20190826_195105.jpg20190827_040416.jpg20190827_040558.jpg

Hi Don. The decision will be always yours! If you are not comfortable to rig the guns you can opt-out (obviously). However, the scale of your buttle station as yours, will look 'unfinished' and suffer without gun rigging. What you can try to do, is to put at least a breeching line. This doesn't require blocks and tackles and can be made outside, and once completed just glue the ring bolts into the bulwarks.

update on my BLANDFORD build, it is there only the GUNS, GUNS, GUNS, still not decided on rigging or not to rig leaning toward not to rig because I could really screw it up, PLEASE SUGGESTIONSView attachment 111513View attachment 111514
Hi Don,
Before you give up on rigging your guns go to model ship builder and download the project The Battle Station and read the section on rigging. It is an excellent tutorial with photos showing all the connection points and how to assemble the gun tackle. If you don’t like the way it looks on the model you can always remove it. Eventually you will want to rig guns on future models, and this is a good place to start the learning process. Good luck.
Mike

Back