Donnie's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build: 1/32 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Don, that is a very impressive build, well done! On the cannons, what did you use to get a textured metal look? In the photo where they are unpainted, the surface looks smooth and once painted they appear rough.
Paul

Thank you all again for your support, encouragement, likes, and even dislikes (if there were any). Thank you Mike for the design and guidance. Many of you helped me through this process and it is greatly appreciated. It did help me gain (some) more confidence in future projects.
And without further delay (now 11 months and 2 weeks) here is the final result - the good, the bad, and a little ugly (Ha - of some of what can not be seen - LOL)
And of course, I want to thank Dave Stevens of www.dlumberyard.com for the sponsorship program of the wood supplies.

DonaldView attachment 194609

View attachment 194610

View attachment 194611

View attachment 194612

View attachment 194613

View attachment 194614

View attachment 194615

View attachment 194616

View attachment 194617

View attachment 194618

View attachment 194619

View attachment 194620

View attachment 194621

View attachment 194622

View attachment 194623

View attachment 194624
Excellent work in all details shown with your photographic skills. Rich

Thank you everyone for the likes.
Paul. I would have to go back and look. The cannons are turned from solid aluminum. I tried to paint giving a rough look and can’t remember what I did. But I did not like it. So I washed the cannons in acetone and just painted flat black from just a plain spray can bought at like a Lowe’s store. I think I used a testors gum metal flake to try to give an aged look, but it did not work.

Thank you everyone for the likes.
Paul. I would have to go back and look. The cannons are turned from solid aluminum. I tried to paint giving a rough look and can’t remember what I did. But I did not like it. So I washed the cannons in acetone and just painted flat black from just a plain spray can bought at like a Lowe’s store. I think I used a testors gum metal flake to try to give an aged look, but it did not work.
Did you try the dry brush dabbing technique that I only learned about a couple of months ago? It has that aged appearance. Rich

Well it works for me. I have a transmission made from brass that I need to give a cast look.

Thank you all again for your support, encouragement, likes, and even dislikes (if there were any). Thank you Mike for the design and guidance. Many of you helped me through this process and it is greatly appreciated. It did help me gain (some) more confidence in future projects.
And without further delay (now 11 months and 2 weeks) here is the final result - the good, the bad, and a little ugly (Ha - of some of what can not be seen - LOL)
And of course, I want to thank Dave Stevens of www.dlumberyard.com for the sponsorship program of the wood supplies.

View attachment 194610

View attachment 194611

View attachment 194612

View attachment 194613

View attachment 194614

View attachment 194615

View attachment 194616

View attachment 194617

View attachment 194618

View attachment 194619

View attachment 194620

View attachment 194621

View attachment 194622

View attachment 194623

View attachment 194624
A lot of precise work there and very well photographed. Rich (PT-2)

I'm a little late catching up...
Congratulations on the finished model. I really like those gun carriages, they are truly the main focal point of the model, for me at least. One of those could esaily serve as a standalone model for the desk :cool:

Donnie
I have a question and it might be a dumb one.
Does the cannon carriage wheels will get a brass cover or any other type of metal?

thank you Dan !!

Bluebeard, I have seen metal straps that go around the wheel (the part of the wheel that is rolling on the Deck). If this is something that you want to do, then you can use maybe a thin strip of cardboard stock, wrap it around the wheel and paint it black. Otherwise, you could use brass and blacken it.

Donnie
I have a question and it might be a dumb one.
Does the cannon carriage wheels will get a brass cover or any other type of metal?
Hello, I couldn't find any evidence from my books that pointed to the existence of the bends and their use on trucks (wheels). Let's discuss briefly how such metal bands may benefit?
  • Making trucks with a band would add to the overall cost as the metal was very expensive.
  • Also, it would add to the weight of the cannons. British shipwright hollowed the cartridge sides to make the cannot lighter.
  • Trucks on the larger caliber cannons made from two (actually 4) pieces of timber assembled together and reinforced with bolts.
  • Trucks with a metal band could seriously damage the wooden decks by moving back and forth and while in action: recoils and reload.
All such points may lead me to believe that such practice may not be common if exists at all. However, I did see trucks with metal bands. I think those are used in the fortress where the primary surface was stone (hard). This makes perfect sense, as the hard surface can damage (worn), also they will not slide as smooth as the trucks with the bands. So I can assume, such cannons were borrowed from the fortress to the ships without further modifications.

View attachment 194610

View attachment 194611

View attachment 194612

View attachment 194613

View attachment 194614

View attachment 194615

View attachment 194616

View attachment 194617

View attachment 194618

View attachment 194619

View attachment 194620

View attachment 194621

View attachment 194622

View attachment 194623

View attachment 194624
Very nice and precise model with excellent photos of presentation. RIch (PT-2)

Thank you everyone for the compliments - I truly appreciate them.
Jim, thank you for your words of wisdom and research - it is well taken and well recieved.

Back