Donnie's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build: 1/32 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

I agree that it is probably best to choose a wood that has good machinability and workability rather than the colors. I spent this evening working on the Jig. Mike says that the Jig does not have to be a work of art. The bottom is a pre-made 12"x36" shelf and 1/4" MDF 2x2 foot sheet. bought at home depot.
No, it is not glued up yet,. I just showing a dry fit.

Hello

I have one more question, please. When sawing out the base plate...do you leave the line or do you saw out including the line ? N0 16 in the report

best regards

If I remember, I sawed up to the line (leaving the black line in tact). Then you can file to fit the frames if necessary.
So, I went back to my jig and I measured some of the openings and I come up with about .51 inches. I measured some of the frames and they were .4975. This .0025 off is obviously due to sanding and handling the parts, etc.
Two measurements can not occupy the same space anyway. One is going to have to be lesser while the other is larger.
It is better to sand or file 'down' to the size you want.

Last edited:
I do not know exactly how it is with the drawings of the Blandford, but usually the center of the line is the requested measure - so usually you should cut half of the line away
If you follow this principle in general, you should be able to make all parts correctly and they should fit.

I believe for this exercise Donnie’s method is the best choice to use, splitting the center line of the frame notches in the jig would take a lot of time and precision work on a disposable part of the build.

I thought I would add one more detail to the Cannons. A Tampion. When you visit next, I am completed. I just need to take various pictures and post them here.
Thank you for your support, visits, likes, and comments.

Donald

carriage-67.jpg

Thank you all again for your support, encouragement, likes, and even dislikes (if there were any). Thank you Mike for the design and guidance. Many of you helped me through this process and it is greatly appreciated. It did help me gain (some) more confidence in future projects.
And without further delay (now 11 months and 2 weeks) here is the final result - the good, the bad, and a little ugly (Ha - of some of what can not be seen - LOL)
And of course, I want to thank Dave Stevens of www.dlumberyard.com for the sponsorship program of the wood supplies.

Donaldfinal-01.jpg

final-02.jpg

final-03.jpg

final-04.jpg

final-05.jpg

final-06.jpg

final-07.jpg

final-08.jpg

final-09.jpg

final-10.jpg

final-11.jpg

final-12.jpg

final-13.jpg

final-14.jpg

final-15.jpg

final-16.jpg

It is amazing what you can do with a few drawings and a pile of sticks when you put your mind to it. Well done Donnie!

A great model for your first time scratch build. I love the extra details and time you gave to explain the work you did and the reason behind it.

I will miss checking in on your progress on the section.

Now to follow you on your next venture across the seas!

Congratulations also from my side
You did a really good job on your first scratch build
Very well done my friend

Thumbs-Up Thumbs-Up Thumbs-Up

and BTW: this model is something for our gallery of finished models

Thank you all for the likes and congratulations. It means a lot to me.

Ha Uwek, you know that did not even cross my mind about adding it to the Gallery Showcase. I guess I need to do that LOL....

Back