Don's Santisima Trinidad by OcCre

Thanks Gary.

This was a challenge for sure but it is a skill that I could master. I learned a lot making these things.

Later,

Don

J,

Thanks. I certainly hope so. There is more I could do to them but I think I am reaching that 'diminishing return' point.

Later,

Don

Hello Don, nice job on the furniture,whats next,candle,wine bottle ,mugs,rugs ,charts etc,just joking Edwin.

Thanks Edwin.

Funny you should mention this. I had thought about it but I think this is as good as it gets. I am working on some hanging lanterns to go over the tables and desks but after that, it will be on to something a little bigger.

Later,

Don

Anguirel,

Thanks!! I am actually looking forward to putting this tiny world together myself. It is been a big learning experience with scale being the main challenge. I should have it done by Friday so I can take some pictures and then work on the stern plate and gallery covers.

Later,

Don

Thanks Popeye.

I am looking forward to getting this part done so I can move on to other parts of the ship. The only place I have to work on the ship is in the garage. It has been over 100 for the last couple of weeks so it makes working on the ship a challenge since I have no AC in the garage.

I usually work on it early in the morning or late at night but it is still quite warm.

I have all the piece made so now I just have to put them together.

Later,

Don

Hello to all,

Sorry it is taken me some time to do the cabins. It is hot and humid here and I usually have only an hour or two that I can work in the garage (no AC). I use to like the heat but since my surgery, I find it difficult to breathe hot, humid air.

Anyway, I have the cabins done as much as I feel I can do. On my next ship, I will do this as the ship is being assembled instead of after.

DSC00250-1.jpgDSC00251-1.jpgDSC00253-1.jpg
Here is a shot of the doors on the gallery side. Here is a shot of the doors from the cabin side.I made the lanterns from scratch... actually from toothpicks. Here is a close up of one of them.

This is a fair shot of all three desks. I could have done more but the cabins are pretty tight when you are trying to glue in furniture and lighting.

DSC00260-1.jpg
All-in-all I can live with this. Once the gallery covers and stern plate are on, the view through the windows should be somewhat realistic.

Later,

Don

Last edited:
Hello Donnie,What a great job on the furniture,first class,nice. Edwin :text-coolphotos:

Popeye,

Thanks for the kind words and the pat on the back. Yep... this is my first wooden ship ever. The only thing I built as a kid was plastic. Cars, airplanes, tanks, cannon, stuff like that. As I said before, I always wanted to build a wooden ship but never had the money. Once I had the money, life got in the way. Just could never seem to cross that path.

I must admit the cabins were a chore. Those were some close quarters. Now that I have finished them, I am glad I did it. Quite honestly I would like to do more but for this kit, this is enough.

Thanks again,

Later,

Don

Thanks Anguirel!

There was a time when I had this crazy notion to put cushions on the chairs but they were already assembled. There were just too many of them to do all those tiny cuts so it would look right.

Oh well. There is always the Victory when I start that ship.

Thanks again,

Don

Now, that is just unbelievable - incredible amount of detail and workmanship.

Working in a garage with no A/C - dang.

Donnie

Thanks Donnie!!

It was a task for sure but I must admit had I done this work during the assembly of the hull instead of afterwards, I could have done a lot more. The small scale of things was not that hard. Now that I have done this, I know I could do it better. The close quarters was a killer. It took a lot of patience. All-in-all it was a great learning experience.

As for the no AC garage, they say if you sweat a lot it is a sign that you are healthy. I must be reaching super-human status. For some reason, I did not notice it as much when I was focued on these tiny cabin parts. When I did sit back to take a breath, then I realized "it's hot in here".

Thanks again,

Don

Hello Donnie,Absolutly first class workmanship.I was checking out a mini mitre box and micro saws,in the spring issue of nautical research journal,p 69, the company is www.umm-usa.co. they sell specialty items and some tools,but came across two sizes of mini carpet,1/48 and 1/72 scales of different designs,??????,well you know what I was thinking don't you,ha. just a thought.Edwin

Thanks Edwin for the info and compliment. Eric, thanks for the correction. I have a Dobson Miter-Rite cutter I have used quite a bit. I got it when it was on sale at MicroMark some time back. See http://www.micromark.com/the-dobson-miter-rite,6453.html I recently got 'The Chopper' by Northwest Short Line that I really like. It can be found at www.internettrains.com and other sites. It is great for cutting small thin items. I have a bunch of power tools as well but find I like the non-powered tools when I have precision cutting to do.

My first run at carpeting and floor patterns was searching for 18th century Spanish patterns on the internet. I was lucky enough to find some pictures of patterns small enough to use after they were printed. From there I cut it to fit and glued it in place.

I have to be honest, I have been remiss in working on the ST in the last month. World affairs has gotten the best of my spirits and has upset me a great deal. On top of this, I found my health issues that I have mentioned from time-to-time all stem from being exposed to Agent Orange during my time in Vietnam and Thailand. Even the Government has finally admitted to it. It is disheartening to know I will never be the man I was a year ago through no fault of my own. I have always been healthy and full of energy. While this is not the forum for this, I wanted to let you guys know why I have not been as active on the site. I have come to grips with the world affairs and am filing a claim with the VA. The rest is trying to stay on top of my health issues. So far, I am doing a fair job of that.

I am ready to work on the ST again. My next project is to install all the windows in the stern plate and the gallery covers. Once that is done, it is on to the balconies, some stern painting and the decorations.

Once the stern is complete, I am thinking the copper plating of the hull should be next. I have most of the steps for that worked out. When the plating is done, then I can move up the hull and finish the cannons and the balance of the painting on the hull. It is a lot of work but I am looking forward to getting back to it again.

Later,

Don

Back