Duyfken 1/50 scale - Kolderstock

Spiegel gunport doors:

Once again a little bit of thinking going on. I need to do some sanding, cutting and filing to fit a set of gunport doors.

A3FF5CAD-76F5-4DEE-9FEE-9999743A7ECE.jpeg

Step 1:

The piece on the left is 11 X 11 mm pattern that will be placed on the four plank pattern on the Spiegel to get the shape and right orientation of the gunport door. The pattern will then be used to mark out the area that needs to be recessed for the gunport door fit in.

Step 2: To be continued.

Jan

Step 2:

I had little bit of time in the boat shop today. So the Spiegel got some more touches added. Finally settled on the size of the gunport doors but gave up trying to orient and fit them to the planking pattern. I found many examples of the doors on the internet, both for models of the ship as well as the full size replica but none had the hull planking pattern. So we are happy with this result.

EFC462E4-864E-478F-8C8F-17772BD70525_1_201_a.jpeg

I would be interested to see if anyone else can find a 1:1 reference for this part of the Prototype.

Cheers.

Jan

That looks SO MUCH BETTER Jan! I am very glad that you went this route. Some naysayers will probably say that thee gunport doors are too big now, but that is because you are viewing the Spiegel in isolation. Once it gets mounted on the ship the ratios will all fall in place.

WOW! Thank you to the ever-watchful @Uwek ! Happy birthday my dear friend Thumbs-Up CoffeeBirthday-CakeBeerBottle May it be a wonderful day and and may you be spoilt rotten by all! Now show us that beautiful birthday gift!

WOW! Thank you to the ever-watchful @Uwek ! Happy birthday my dear friend Thumbs-Up CoffeeBirthday-CakeBeerBottle May it be a wonderful day and and may you be spoilt rotten by all! Now show us that beautiful birthday gift!
Thank you my friend for your note. Indeed my Admiral spoils me rotten, as soon as her gift arrives I’ll post a picture.

Jan

Not forgotten or abandoned.

Work on the “Little Bird” will resume as soon as the hull of my Chaperon is fully planked.

AC4305C6-00D2-4654-AA50-FD00CBA92E57.jpeg

So much much hobby and so little time. I had planned on working on both builds alternately. But plans had to change to fit the work schedule. Currently most of my time has been spent on my Model Railroad. I had to disassemble over half of my layout. The piping for our Heat Pump units had to be replaced due to Freon leaks. I removed sections of my layout to gives the workers access to the ceiling joists and to minimize damage to my Basement Empire.

Jan

We will wait patiently ...
Thumbsup

Another time consuming event for us. Our development once was a very large Apple Orchard. The developer in his infinite wisdom left many of the trees. The trees happily produce a crop every year and drop them on the lawns. The crop has to be picked up and disposed off before the lawns can be mowed. It’s about a two week event this time of year.
Jan

GOOD WORK SO FAR JAN. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Thanks for checking out my log. I'm waiting for material so I can do more work on my Chaperon build. Heinrich didn't want to see me idle so he suggested that working on the Duyfken would be a great idea :D. So....

Jan

Hi Jan. It is great to see you back in action with the Duyfken.Thumbsup

You are right. The red triangle clearly shows that there is a large portion of the plank surface that is not in contact with the bulkhead. Whip off that plank so that it doesn't build up a "kinked" memory and get out the sandpaper. :)

01248B04-62CD-48BD-9F94-D9E0E26D216E_1_201_a.jpeg

Back