Endurance (1912) - Occre, Scale 1:70 - My First Shipbuilding Adventure

know I'm jumping the gun by a country mile

You don’t half remind me of me. Rushin’ about, always thinking about the future.

My advice (which you will ignore ) is to enjoy building those decks. Then concentrate on the interesting work of planking the hull before you even think about laying in supplies for phase two - deck furnishings.

I have quite a selection of blocks and other accessories that I bought in for my first few model boats - the ones I abandoned long before the rigging began.

You don’t half remind me of me. Rushin’ about, always thinking about the future.

My advice (which you will ignore ) is to enjoy building those decks. Then concentrate on the interesting work of planking the hull before you even think about laying in supplies for phase two - deck furnishings.

I have quite a selection of blocks and other accessories that I bought in for my first few model boats - the ones I abandoned long before the rigging began.
I won't ignore Smithy, that's good advice, but I have every intention of taking this journey slow and methodical whille practising my, what you may think I'm lacking, patience
But you're right, I do tend to look too way forward, but that's never stopped me concentrating on the present.......yet !

I won't ignore Smithy, that's good advice, but I have every intention of taking this journey slow and methodical whille practising my, what you may think I'm lacking, patience
But you're right, I do tend to look too way forward, but that's never stopped me concentrating on the present.......yet !

It's a big problem for me. I live in the future, reading the instructions and planning for the build after the build after the build after this one. ROTF I need to be more mindful and live for the day.

Well, my friends, the planking went better than I thought it might for a Green-as-Grass 1st timer Thumbsup
It was the trimming afterwards were I did a whoopsie.
In hindsight I wish I'd penciled on the reverse then checked against the Occre photo reference to make sure I was trimming the correct contour.
Luckily it was only a very small area on the Bow decking (I trimmed the cut-outs) and was easily fixed by removing a few of the offending planks, stabbing my thumb with a trimming scalpel, then removing the rest (planks, not thumb).
After that it was a simple case of re-gluing some fresh planks in between blood transfusions.

Stern Whoospie.jpg

Last edited:
planks, not thumb

Hehe!

We are brothers. You seem to be making all the mistakes I did on my Occre Beagle. Be careful or I’ll sue you for infringing my copyright.

Were you using the scalpel to pry the planks off? I discovered that was very dodgy when my blade broke into three bits and one of them pinged off my glasses! Since then I’ve equipped myself with chisels and small screwdrivers ground thin.

Hehe!

We are brothers. You seem to be making all the mistakes I did on my Occre Beagle. Be careful or I’ll sue you for infringing my copyright.

Were you using the scalpel to pry the planks off? I discovered that was very dodgy when my blade broke into three bits and one of them pinged off my glasses! Since then I’ve equipped myself with chisels and small screwdrivers ground thin.
Yes mate, I used the scalpel :confused:
But I think I'll follow your more safety conscious approach from now on,
I'm sure my thumb will thank me for it. ROTF

Hold on........."since then" ???
You mean there's more to come ! Redface

Last edited:
Food for thought, hoping for some feedback.
I saw (somewhere) here that a far more experienced builder was giving some interesting comparisons with the model kit and the real Endurance.
I was particularly interested in the comments regarding the decking.
From memory the kit planks need to be half the width supplied, and that the real decking was painted white, with not a join or nail in sight.
1) I'm nowhere near experienced to go half width so happy with the kit.
2) I do like the clean, tidy look of no nails / joins
3) Was considering finishing in a Lime White so it has a white hue with the wood grain clearly showing through.
I'm currently experimenting finishes on some planking off-cuts, the lime white looks good, might need thinning down a bit, but I must admit I like the idea.

Thoughts mates ??

Thoughts mates ??

It’s your model, your decision. Paint it tartan if that floats your boat.

If accuracy is important to you, perhaps the word of another modeller needs to be backed up with published information. A book isn’t always right but people say the strangest things online without editorial supervision. Maybe he was looking at a photo with snow on the deck?

You’d probably find a useful reference book from one of the second hand bookstores online.

It’s your model, your decision. Paint it tartan if that floats your boat.

If accuracy is important to you, perhaps the word of another modeler needs to be backed up with published information. A book isn’t always right but people say the strangest things online without editorial supervision. Maybe he was looking at a photo with snow on the deck?

You’d probably find a useful reference book from one of the second hand bookstores online.
Thanks mate, always appreciate your comments:)
This is the best reference I've found of the deck so far and you're correct, it doesn't look ;) white to me

Deck.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure that the decks were painted white? Decks on warships were holystoned daily to a white sheen. I cannot say that non-military ships had similar practices.

Bill
No Bill, not sure at all, I was only reacting to comments made by another builder, and I have in fact been trying my best to find photo references online to either confirm or otherwise but no luck....yet :p
So I was just really fishing for other inputs ;)

Last edited:
fishing for other inputs

I have a suggestion that might increase the number of people who read your thread = more inputs, more chat.

Change your title to give more information. At the moment it tells the reader nothing at all about the build and most Endurance enthusiasts won't even bother to open it. Something like 'Endurance (1912) - Occre 1/70 - My First Shipbuilding Adventure!!!' will get you tons more help.

Members who see that on the index or the What's new list will instantly know the subject, the kit, your status as a beginner and the three exclamation marks will tell everyone how enthusiastic you are. It will even get picked up on Google searches that way. :D (To change the title click and hold on it for a few seconds)

I have a suggestion that might increase the number of people who read your thread = more inputs, more chat.

Change your title to give more information. At the moment it tells the reader nothing at all about the build and most Endurance enthusiasts won't even bother to open it. Something like 'Endurance (1912) - Occre 1/70 - My First Shipbuilding Adventure!!!' will get you tons more help.

Members who see that on the index or the What's new list will instantly know the subject, the kit, your status as a beginner and the three exclamation marks will tell everyone how enthusiastic you are. It will even get picked up on Google searches that way. :D (To change the title click and hold on it for a few seconds)
You're a bloody star Smithy mate, I've been DYING to change that title for ages and didn't know how :)
Watch this space....well....not this one....the one where I change it......

Mate, I've tried clicking and holding, highlighting and clicking, holding a highlight, lighting a click, not getting very far :(

You're a bloody star Smithy mate, I've been DYING to change that title for ages and didn't know how :)
Watch this space....well....not this one....the one where I change it......
Hello, the title has been changed to: Endurance (1912) - Occre 1/70 - My First Shipbuilding Adventure. If you want to change it to something else, please let us know.

As if by magic.

In fact, by Jimsky. Since nothing we tried was working I guessed that title changes here are only possible for admin staff so I reported your difficulties by clicking on the 'report' button bottom left of each post. It seems to be the best way to contact the admins.

Last edited:
me

Deck.jpg

Does Occre provide the kennels?

Back