Endurance by OcCre 1:70

Kramer, neither Lowes or Home Depot had this product! Glad I checked back with you. I just ordered two tubes from Amazon for delivery on Wednesday. Thanks again, Magic Mike

After too long of a hiatus, I'm back working on my Endurance! Just started the second layer of planking. This time around I wanted to avoid CA as much as possible. Had to work on a way to replace the quick drying properties of CA with a wood glue PVA. When I took a break from the Endurance and built John Smith's Shallop, Olha used Weld Bond or something like it and an iron. Since I'm on the second layer and can't use tacks to hold the planks in place while the glue dries, and Olha' use of the hot iron on the planks to mount them worked on the Shallop, I thought I'd give it a try on the thin veneers for the second planking. So far so good, with minimal burn marks on the veneers. Burn marks were my biggest concern, but I'm getting better at it as I go, and it's all going to be painted over anyway. I guess if I didn't want any burn marks at all I could use another plank as a buffer between the plank and the iron.
IMG_0845.jpg

After some trial and error on the first side (I almost need an experimental side, and a show side), I was able to bend the plank slightly by soaking it for about 10 minutes, glueing and ironing.
IMG_0844.jpg
Great to be back at it!
IMG_0846.jpg

After too long of a hiatus, I'm back working on my Endurance! Just started the second layer of planking. This time around I wanted to avoid CA as much as possible. Had to work on a way to replace the quick drying properties of CA with a wood glue PVA. When I took a break from the Endurance and built John Smith's Shallop, Olha used Weld Bond or something like it and an iron. Since I'm on the second layer and can't use tacks to hold the planks in place while the glue dries, and Olha' use of the hot iron on the planks to mount them worked on the Shallop, I thought I'd give it a try on the thin veneers for the second planking. So far so good, with minimal burn marks on the veneers. Burn marks were my biggest concern, but I'm getting better at it as I go, and it's all going to be painted over anyway. I guess if I didn't want any burn marks at all I could use another plank as a buffer between the plank and the iron.
View attachment 434163

After some trial and error on the first side (I almost need an experimental side, and a show side), I was able to bend the plank slightly by soaking it for about 10 minutes, glueing and ironing.
View attachment 434164
Great to be back at it!
View attachment 434165

Looking good.
I used PVA and, where I needed quicker drying for hold, contact glue on both surfaces. That way I was able to position the plank over the majority of the length then fix the ends almost immediately.
I have never used Weld Bond, not sure what it is or if it is available here but yours seems like a good solution. The results look good anyway.
I loved building my Endurance, fascinating story with plenty of original photos to give ample opportunity for a bit of kit bashing.
Looking forward to seeing your progress. Enjoy!

Chipping away at the second layer of planking. I feel like I'm doing a good job of gluing the planks down using WeldBond and an iron, no CA, and getting them to conform to the curvature of the hull. But, there are gaps. The planks aren't completely uniform. I don't think I can expect them to be. I'm not concerned too much because I can fill in the gaps after I'm done, then paint the hull. I think it'll totally blend well. I'm thinking of future projects where I won't be painting the hull and the second layer is what you'll see. My second planking skills need to improve.
IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

Bonjour de Belgique, magnifique travail, félicitations !
J'ai commencé le même il y a déjà quelques temps, mais j'ai mis de côté et attend de retrouver la motivation et le temps !
Mais refait tout votre fil de montage et trouve des conseils, et mes mains me picotes ROTFROTFROTF, je pense que je vais m'y remettre bientôt
Bravo et merci pour tout
Tanguy

Impressed with the tidiness of your work bench - mine is a tip by comparison!!. Had the same problem with gaps in the second planking as you had - unfortunate it will be varnished so will have to live with a few small holes

Impressed with the tidiness of your work bench - mine is a tip by comparison!!. Had the same problem with gaps in the second planking as you had - unfortunate it will be varnished so will have to live with a few small holes
Are the planks not straight on the long edge? That is a problem. Have you tried to sand the edges lightly to at least reduce the uneveness? That's a serious problem there I would think.

Are the planks not straight on the long edge? That is a problem. Have you tried to sand the edges lightly to at least reduce the uneveness? That's a serious problem there I would think.
The planks aren't entirely straight, but that hasn't been a problem. I can get them tight up against the previously laid plank when I glue them down. But they're not completely uniform in the width of the cut. When I have to do a ship where the hull won't be painted, I can definitely see investing in ripping my own planks to ensure they're all perfectly uniform.

The planks aren't entirely straight, but that hasn't been a problem. I can get them tight up against the previously laid plank when I glue them down. But they're not completely uniform in the width of the cut. When I have to do a ship where the hull won't be painted, I can definitely see investing in ripping my own planks to ensure they're all perfectly uniform.
Looking at the pictures above I see that the narrow parts are close to the ends of the planks. Can you cut that narrow part off and just use the good parts? Is there enough lumber with the kit to do that? The planking looks really nice except for the tiny thin slits in the mahogany. Gonna be a nice looking sailer when it's finished.

Looking at the pictures above I see that the narrow parts are close to the ends of the planks. Can you cut that narrow part off and just use the good parts? Is there enough lumber with the kit to do that? The planking looks really nice except for the tiny thin slits in the mahogany. Gonna be a nice looking sailer when it's finished.
Thanks Norgale! That's a good idea, but I think since I'm painting it I'm just going to keep going. After I'm done planking I'll fill in any big gaps, prime it, then paint it and seal it. But you're right, if I was real worried at this point about the ends of the planks I'd trim them like you say.

Chipping away at the second layer of planking. I feel like I'm doing a good job of gluing the planks down using WeldBond and an iron, no CA, and getting them to conform to the curvature of the hull. But, there are gaps. The planks aren't completely uniform. I don't think I can expect them to be. I'm not concerned too much because I can fill in the gaps after I'm done, then paint the hull. I think it'll totally blend well. I'm thinking of future projects where I won't be painting the hull and the second layer is what you'll see. My second planking skills need to improve.
View attachment 435674

View attachment 435675
Good morning. I had a similar issue with my Occre veneer. The wood is not even in its thickness. I sorted the wood before starting into piles where they matched. Kept the uneven strips for the lower part where tapering and whisky planks would be used. I agree with you, as this is a painted hull not an issue so looking great right now. Cheers Grant

Good morning. I had a similar issue with my Occre veneer. The wood is not even in its thickness. I sorted the wood before starting into piles where they matched. Kept the uneven strips for the lower part where tapering and whisky planks would be used. I agree with you, as this is a painted hull not an issue so looking great right now. Cheers Grant
I should have checked the planks, but once I got started I just kept going. I need to be more patient. But paint helps with lack of patience :p

Back