English Cutter Half Hull 1:32 scale by Mike 41 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I spent all morning adding a waterway that will probably not be noticed. Since I did not do a particularly good job smoothing the filler between frames, I used a contour gauge and ship curve to make patterns. This is some progress photos.

View attachment 233019View attachment 233020View attachment 233021View attachment 233022View attachment 233023View attachment 233024
What a great idea using a contour gage for the curve. I bent mine like planking and it left some minor gaps, but like you said it won't be noticed.

I agree three pounders or four seem small, but I'm sure that the higher ups at the time probably didn't want to waste heavier guns to a minor player when they probably had other things on their minds. Haha

Well, I guess we are all in the getting older position and bad parts. Woke up this morning and had to ice down my back from over use yesterday painting in the family room. Aloha, MikeJ

I am using bloodwood for the lining, the board I used was extremely dry and brittle. I broke several pieces at the bow, but it will look nice when finished. This is some progress photos.

IMG_3465.jpgIMG_3466.jpgIMG_3467.jpgIMG_3468.jpg

The drawing by Chapman does not show a plan for the deck layout, I am thinking about using the AOS book’s deck plan of the Alert. The drawing shows the bowsprit, windlass, mast, pumps, and deck openings. The bowsprit is shown offset to the port side of the ship centerline, I am thinking about mirroring it to the starboard side for this project.

Is there any reason it must be on the port side of the ship?

R
The drawing by Chapman does not show a plan for the deck layout, I am thinking about using the AOS book’s deck plan of the Alert. The drawing shows the bowsprit, windlass, mast, pumps, and deck openings. The bowsprit is shown offset to the port side of the ship centerline, I am thinking about mirroring it to the starboard side for this project.

Is there any reason it must be on the port side of the ship?

I can't see how the off set side of the sprit would matter. Whatever "advantage " you would get from a particular rig on a specific course heading would be a disadvantage going the opposite direction! :D :D:D

DOC, COME AND JOIN US SO THAT I CAN LEARN SOMETHING, YOU CAN TAKE A SIMPLE BUILD AND TURN IT INTO AN AWARD WINNER IN NO TIME FLAT, LET US DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT OR TURN TO WEASELS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

R

I can't see how the off set side of the sprit would matter. Whatever "advantage " you would get from a particular rig on a specific course heading would be a disadvantage going the opposite direction! :D :D:D

That is good enough for me. I will use a stub about 2” past the stempost.

When I added the hull extensions it changed the shape of the rail. I used some tracing paper to make a pattern and added 1/16” to each side for the overlap, corrected the jagged edges with a ships curve, applied the patterns and used a bandsaw to cut out the rail pieces. Final shaping was done with a belt and drum sanders. I used ink to dye the wood black. The last photo shows the rail in place.

IMG_3474.jpgIMG_3475.jpgIMG_3476.jpgIMG_3477.jpgIMG_3479.jpg

Back