English Cutter Half Hull 1:32 scale by Mike 41 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Don, I looked at some half hull models online and there does not seam to be any king of standard on what should be shown on this type of model. I think originally, they were a solid block of wood just showing the hull. Some of the models online are like that and others show deck items and masts. I ask Ken if he was doing drawings for the deck layout, he has not responded yet. I am thinking about showing the deckhouse and stub masts without a lot of detail. Ken will have his wood next week and can give us some guidance then. Doc Blake is busy with his bomb vessel and probably wants to finish it before starting another project.

YEA I WILL BE POSTING LATTER ON MY LOG HAVE ALL BUT ONE NO 11A DONE NOW ON THE NEW SPINDEL SANDER I THINK I WILL GET CLOSE TO THE LINE, YES I WOULD LIKE TO DO THE DECK BUT NO FURNISHINGS MAYBE BULLWORKS NOT SURE I THINK THAT WOULD BE TO MUCH. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Since we are not using a jig it is important to check the fit up before gluing. I found a few places due to mostly by leaving to much material outside the lines of the cutting patterns, but a little sanding fixed those. I spent more time taking the model apart than fixing the errors.

It looks like the bow and stern could use a little more support for the planking, I will be working on that today.

IMG_3325.jpgIMG_3326.jpgIMG_3327.jpg

In my last post I meant to say 1:32 not 1/32. Anyway, Like Mike41 I was worried about the keel joint so I cut the for and aft sections longer so I can scarf them. it will still only be a small line in the middle but the joint will be strong. I thought about using some black fishing line to mark the scarf for the fun of it

MIKE A QUICK QUESTION, IT LOOKS LIKE FROM THE PICURE THA THE KEEL COMPONETS ARE FINISHED MATERIAL BOTH FOR FALSE KEEL, FINISHED KEEL STEM POST, STERN POST. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

In my last post I meant to say 1:32 not 1/32. Anyway, Like Mike41 I was worried about the keel joint so I cut the for and aft sections longer so I can scarf them. it will still only be a small line in the middle but the joint will be strong. I thought about using some black fishing line to mark the scarf for the fun of it

Hi Mike J.

When I was cutting out the parts I wasn’t paying attention to the design, I think the keel was intended to be one piece and the pattern drawing should have show reference lines at the center, not cut lines as shown on the drawing. With this type of model, the joint would be fine the model will be glued to the display plaque so the joint should not open.

This type of model shows quite simple joints if you define the joint in the keel you should do the same at the stem and stern. This is usually done to focus attention on complex joinery used on large ship models, but you can use it on any model.

Hi Don, this model does not have a false keel, but yes, the keel, stem and stern posts will be finished if you are using different colored woods or paint.

THANKS MIKE, AM GETTING A LITTLE CONFUSED HERE YOU SHOW ON THE DRAWINGS RIGHT SIDE BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT AND LEFT AS ONE NOT EXPLAINING PROPERLY THE DRAWINS 1:32 SCALE LEFT AND RIGHT ARE YOU SAYING IT SHOULD BE ON LONG PIECE I THINK IT WOULD BE STRONGER OR CUT AT THE JOIN LINE SO SORRY FOR CONFUSION, WILL GET THERE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Hi Don, I did not make the drawings, Ken did. This is just my interpretation of them. The keel can be built from the drawing as shown without a problem. The model is not intended to be an exact reproduction of the ship. If you look at the build logs for the HMS Alert keel assemble it is made from a lot of pieces with complex joints. I am sorry about the confusion all I meant to say was the keel could be one piece or two, if using two pieces there are different way to connect them.

HI MIKE THE CONFUSION IS NOT YOURS IT IS MINE NEED TO REST BRAIN A LITTLE AND SHOW WHAT I AM THINKING YOUR INTERPERTATION IS MY GUIDANCE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Hi Mike J.

When I was cutting out the parts I wasn’t paying attention to the design, I think the keel was intended to be one piece and the pattern drawing should have show reference lines at the center, not cut lines as shown on the drawing. With this type of model, the joint would be fine the model will be glued to the display plaque so the joint should not open.

This type of model shows quite simple joints if you define the joint in the keel you should do the same at the stem and stern. This is usually done to focus attention on complex joinery used on large ship models, but you can use it on any model.
Mike41, You are right about attaching it to a back board and as for the fishing line, I decided against it after I posted. This is turning out to be a lot of fun thinking about how to make something special. Its nice to be able to start with something special, Thanks

Hi Mike J.
Ken has given us a good set of basic drawings and is leaving it up to us to add our individual preferences as to how much detail to add to the model. The English Cutter was an excellent chose for this build, it does not tie you down to a particular ship with rigid details. Adding a few details to the model will make it more interesting.

I am using basswood for the planking support block at the bow. I glued up a block and used the edge of frame F as a pattern for the side and a vary form curve to draw the top curve. The block is carved to rough shape with a saw, I use a Rockwell oscillating multi-tool and a sander. I glued the block to frame F and used the forward edge to draw and carve the bearding line. This is a few progress photos.IMG_3328.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

IMG_3341.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Don, I will be posting some photos of the planking with comments, it will be pretty much standard stuff.

Thanks Doc, I bought the plywood from Woodcrafters, they have a store about five miles where I used to live great place to shop. Now it is online only plus shipping.

Mike: Is there any way you could have simulated caulking in the stem sternpost and keel structures for a little more visual interest?

BTW: I’m like a fish eyeing a lure...almost ready to take the bait and start cutting half bulkheads! LOL! ROTFROTFROTFROTF

Back