H.M.S. Fly by Amati 1:65 - Build log by Jcob

Dear Jacob, I have also only discovered your build log now. You are doing a fine job on the Fly - I am very pleased that you also enjoy the planking process. To me that is also the most satisfying part. Yours look so good, that it is almost a pity that the hull had to be painted!
Hey Heinrich, thanks a lot! Yeah, perhaps I should've used some wood filler before painting below the waterline. But still pretty happy with the result. Soon it will be time for quarterdeck and forecastle planking, looking forward to it.
Best, Jacob

Hello all,

Been distracted with some other stuff recently so work on Fly has been slow. My first build, the HMY Britannia was taking up space in front of the window that I want for new plants with spring around the corner. Had some balsa wood laying around that I formed to the hull shape and painted light blue to simulate water. Result was light and compact so I could hang it on the wall with command strips:

IMG_6142.JPG
IMG_6146.JPG
IMG_6166.JPG
gfvsd.JPG

Back to the Fly, went all the way with painting the kit supplied metal side windows and placing the brass decorations around the hull:
IMG_6121.JPG
But the windows felt flat and either the layers of paint paint or underlying metal piece had an uneven surface that stands out when light hits it from the side. And the brass decorations shine too, distracting from the rest. I realised too late I probably should've painted the brass in ochre yellow, but I got inspired by Olha Batchvarov's Pegasus build on her youtube channel where she painted the decorations in turn inspired by the FFM books:
IMG_6179.JPG
So I'm trying to find a method that will give a shadow effect using two colours and then practise on bits of wood, testing different things. Much will be training my hand skill so I will be able to make round curves, tests look like this:
IMG_6176.JPG

The side windows I replaced with balsa wood. Had some thin sheets of balsa laying around, put two together in opposing grain directions so it wouldn't rip later, then used the kit metal window as the template for its outer shape.
IMG_6134.JPG
Marked the outlines and used a small file to sand it down, used toothpicks for the window grilles:
IMG_6157.JPG
IMG_6163.JPG
IMG_6171.JPG
And now working on the second one:
IMG_6174.JPG

Also the kit supplied decorations for the stern windows are a bit small compared to the other laser cut wooden pieces. Here you see the mismatch:
verere.JPG
Glued a thin piece of balsa wood to it to try to use that as a transition between the two different scales. Hopefully it won't look too out of place in the end.

Will be a lot of practice and planning to paint the outside decorations so I will give you an update when I've made some progress there. Seeya later!

//Jacob

A very good and innovative approach Jacob. Your scratch-built windows are a definite improvement over the kit-supplied ones.

A very good and innovative approach Jacob. Your scratch-built windows are a definite improvement over the kit-supplied ones.
Thank you Heinrich, I tested different things to see what works and really like the end result, so it was worth putting time into :).

very good and accurate work on the sidebadges - looking very good

Back