H.M.S. Victory Constructo - by Wooden Ship Crafts

That's great to hear. Thanks a million for the feedback. This model is cool to work with, so I recommend. The only thing, I faced as of today, I have had zero tools in my apartment, so almost everything (except a pen) I bought to start work :). But I believe I would reuse these tools for the next model.

You are welcome. Of course, you will already have them for your next model that I am sure you will make another one! With the years you will be buying and adding new and better tools for your hobby.

Hi Max

You are off to a good start.I would seriously consider filling the gaps between the bulkheads with something to ease planking as the gaps between them are massive.As you have a minimal toolkit and live in an apartment,balsa would be preferable as it is easy to sand and shape.You don't have to do above the waterline,just the bottom half to provide more support.
Just be careful if you do fill the gaps in that you do not induce a bend in the keel.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Max,
I am delighted that you found and are enjoying the forum. I love to hear the excitement and enthusiasm in your building. It reminds me of myself of years ago. If you want to caulk your planks, I suggest to just use a simple regular soft pencil lead. Just run the pencil lead down one side of the planking strip (and this is for the deck only). You might think that it is not enough, but you will see that it will be. Sometimes, less is more.
If you use a stain or oil, then please be careful. My opinion is that I have seen models that were soaked with shellac or some type of lacquer that did not look natural.
Think of a real ship. The real ship often had a dull flat paint on it. For a stain, I have always used something like Minwax golden oak or Minwax natural stain. If and only if I were to use a satin finish, it has always been Minwax polyurethane "satin" finish. It adds such a small amount of luster that it leaves the wood still natural.
Ok, so, I know I am getting way ahead of your game right now. Please do not use a glossy finish.
Key Point #1: Hot water is your friend. Use hot water (even running the plank back and forth under running hot water as you carefully bend the planks)
The large flat strips that follow fore and aft that you were having problems with the alignment...what are those for? Are those for just stability, or are they going to be used for the backdrop to mount the cannons to? I was wondering if those flat strips were preshaped to follow the "sweep of the hull". I can not tell.
Key Point #2: Make 100% sure your hull is straight. Turn the FRAME upside down on a flat surface. Look and see if all four corners have the same measurement to the flat surface. You do NOT want to have any warp. Or very very little warp. Why? These small errors of warpage ADD UP to be a larger problem down the road.
Key Point #3: When you are at the part where you fit the (assuming a false deck) usually, you will have a false deck solid plywood that attaches to your bulkheads on top. THen your deck planking glues to this false deck. Why am I bringing this up? Well, this is also a problem that I see often. Make 100% sure that your Cannons on Deck, (the Cannon barrels) will LINE UP with your Cannon Port Lid openings on the DECK. I have seen many models that the Cannons (Barrels) on the Deck did not line up good with the Deck Cannon Port Frame Openings and the Cannons had to point a little downward. Sometimes, it was the opposite, the cannons were pointing upwards for the barrels to push through the port windows. By study and preparation, you might catch this beforehand. I have seen modelers have to remove the wheels from the carriages so that the Cannon Barrels would fit through the Port Lids on deck. This is mostly a DECK problem. You can MOCK up this situation by assembling one cannon carriage and barrel and placing the assembly on deck. How is this corrected? Well, I am not familiar with this kit, but most kits will have the BULWARK (which is one piece) that already has the Cannon port lids made for you in one piece. All you have to do is simply slightly raise or slightly lower the Bulwark to accommodate the best alignment of the cannons. Your kit might not apply to this, but I just wanted you to know just in case.

Oh, by the way, thanks for joining the SOS family. It is my desire to make your forum experience a happy and enjoyable one.

Sincerely,
Donald B. Driskell
Founder

Hi Donald, happy to meet you... on your forum, and my build log :).
First of all, thank you for building such a nice community of enthusiasts and supporters. I came from the software world where the community is one of the important parts of the journey. The SOS onboarding process was positive. I was surprised to see the approval process, but I understand why this is in place. And this is probably for the best. We don't want to have dead accounts or bots.

Second, the website, as well as the forum content and its quality, are very well maintained. One thing is to build the website, the other is to put high-quality content and encourage to create a new one daily. This is really hard work.

Thanks for the suggestion with the pencil lead. I will give a try to a regular pencil before applying it on the deck to ensure it looks nice. I hear different suggestions, starting with a regular pencil, 2B pencil, and a black marker. I believe, for me, it seems like the more natural and right combination between the size of the model and the approach, the pencil sounds just right.

For the deck coverage, I am still trying to get used to all new words with the shipbuilding, I am thinking to make the model as natural as possible, that's was one of the reasons I stopped with this particular H.M.S. Victory 1:94 form Contructo. So it might sound like I will go with no oil or something very light, I am still not sure about this part. Do you recommend to use any paint or do you think the ship will look nice without deck paint?

"The large flat strips that follow fore and aft that you were having problems with the alignment...what are those for?" - Today, I found out that I marked the wrong parts with the wrong numbers. The reason for this, I wasn't sure if the instructions book provides numbers for two frames with parts. That's why I assumed, that as a modeler, I have to find out myself what part has its number. I made a mistake, that is why one of my strips broke, as I was trying to find out why it doesn't go well into the 9th frame hole and just flies around the hole. But, it is great I triple checked everything and now all my strips are correctly marked with the right numbers. So I can follow visual instructions and read explanations in the textbook.

I am doing my best as per my knowledge, to make sure the hull is flat, but I am certain and pretty much sure I could miss something due to lack of experience and the complexity of the model. Thanks for the additional step, which I am going to definitely go through with my model to ensure all four corners are flat and straight. I am still not quite sure I understand all parts of the "measure 7 times and only then apply glue" and not sure I have all the required tools. I will do my best.

Also, if I spot the difference between right and left sides of a frame, or first and last one, should I just use sandpaper to put all four sides to be aligned? Please advise.

Gunports
I've checked the instructions and it seems like that the first three lines of the gunports. All these guns should be inserted into a 2mm hole in the gun sides (previously I used the no 19,20 fore sides).
gunports.png

Gun sides 19 and 20 make the first line for the guns, 26 and 27 - the second line, 46 is the third line.
Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 23.14.13.png

Here is my current 19 and 20 gun sides, the 19th that I accidentally used the wrong stick here. But now it is fine and the 19th on both sides of the model goes inside the whole of the 9th frame.
frame9-gunports.png

It seems like, only gun sides are somehow related to guns, that have to be directly installed into the gun sides.

Again, thank you for your detailed comments and advice. I am always open to hearing best practices on how to make the ship better. Or at least, how to make the ship from start to finish.

Looking forward to seeing more posts from you :).

P.S. Answering your next post, as I've read your post and went working :)... and I didn't want to answer just in a few words.

Hi Max

You are off to a good start.I would seriously consider filling the gaps between the bulkheads with something to ease planking as the gaps between them are massive.As you have a minimal toolkit and live in an apartment,balsa would be preferable as it is easy to sand and shape.You don't have to do above the waterline,just the bottom half to provide more support.
Just be careful if you do fill the gaps in that you do not induce a bend in the keel.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel, thank you for your suggestion about balsa. I tried to google it, but I am not really sure what you meant. Do you maybe have any pictures to share with me? I am more like a visual person :).

Thanks in advance.

23:31 and its time for an update.

I am proud to share the great news. I finished the first out of 197 steps :cool: .
This is a huge one for me, as this size of the model is something new and I am looking forward to continuing and make small steps towards the complete build.
Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 23.34 1.png
And the model as of today looks like this:
Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 23.35.56.png

I wasn't sure how should I properly measure 90 degrees for the frame no 16. It is the last one, I decided to see from different angles, but no joy. After I applied PVA glue, I positioned the frame to have the same height between two sides.
16-frame.png

Also, I checked the step 6 and 7, where I have to install the curve no 30, and figured out that the bottom of the frame 16 should match the false keel. As later, I have to use sandpaper to remove some back part from the frame 16.
angle-aligned.png

This frame wasn't straightforward to install if being honest with you. As a result, the frame is installed and glued.
Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 23.50.32.png
Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 23.52.38.png

I decided to continue and glued frames 2, 6 and 12.

Frame 2. There is more glue as I expected.
Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 23.53.12.png

Frame 6.
Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 23.53.22.png

Frame 12.
Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 23.53.29.png

Honestly, I wasn't sure how to ensure the alignment of these 3 parts. So I used my best guess to install and position them, using a ruler. Probably, for the next time, I have to learn how to use a rope and a level.

Also, I've made a video, however, I didn't make it public the previous post :oops:

PopcornPlease let me know what you think about the video. In the video, I share my experience on how I install frames.

Watch the Frames Installation for the H.M.S. Victory wooden ship model

It looks like you are doing very well Max,she is coming together a treat, I built this exact kit approx 18 years ago and was very pleased with her, there are some problems with the way they describe the construction in the manual, but it just means you have to think things out a bit more, but as I said it looks like you are going great, I didn't fill in the spaces between my bulkheads and everthing lined up OK, I am enjoying your build log, have a Merry Christmas,

best regards John,

PS here are a couple of pics of the one I built,

20 constructo.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

Hi Nigel, thank you for your suggestion about balsa. I tried to google it, but I am not really sure what you meant. Do you maybe have any pictures to share with me? I am more like a visual person :).
Here you go, Max. Balsa wood is really light wood, it is super-easy to cut with a modeling knife, take a look at the example below. NOTE* don't buy basswood, it is a different type of wood (expensive). You would look for 1"x 1" x whatever the length blocks...

4008M.jpg

Max,here you go,my Santa Ana build with lower bulkheads filled.I did this in pine,I have the tools to shape this quickly but with limited tools Balsa would suffice.

Kind Regards

Nigel

View attachment 125080View attachment 125081

Hi Nigel, thanks for sharing photos. Your model looks really well. Now I understand what you mean, sorry for this, but I really have little experience building models.

Merry Christmas!

Here you go, Max. Balsa wood is really light wood, it is super-easy to cut with a modeling knife, take a look at the example below. NOTE* don't buy basswood, it is a different type of wood (expensive). You would look for 1"x 1" x whatever the length blocks...

View attachment 125079

Hi Jimsky, thanks for the image, I googled where to buy, it looks like this wood is available in DIY shops here in Dublin.

Merry Christmas!

I've been working on the wedges for my model.

The stem wedges that go to the front were having lots of char, so I cleaned them with the 120 grit sandpaper.
Group 1.png

I tried to see how these stem wedges are going to sit together. It appeared, that they are higher about 1.5-2mm compare to the frame 2 and the false keel. At the bottom everything was fine. So I decided to remove the top 1.5 mm from the wedges. As the top part should be a flat surface, so the deck no 21 can be glued on top of the frame 2, wedges and the false keel.

Group 2.png

Art knife works well with this type of wood, and for the finish, I used a sand stick.

Group 3.png

I glued both wedges and installed them together and with the clamp that should hold them.

Group 4.png

Finally, I installed and glued mast wedges to corresponding positions.
Group 5.png

I found useful to check with the plan that has the 1:94 scale size, so if I am not sure about some detail, I can easily cross-check the size with the plan.
This is how I found out that the height between the frame 2 and the top frame 3 is 21 mm, and the stem wedges were putting an extra 2 mm, as a result, I've had only 19 mm.

The Constructo kit of Her Majesty's Ship Victory was under the tree this morning, because my wife is much nicer to me than I probably deserve. In fact, the box is much bigger than the tree. I can't start on it for a few days, since I need to clear out a work space.
I plan to build it with the gun ports closed, which is the way they would be most of the time. I'm of two minds about the sails; in the past I have generally built my models without sails, which allows a better view of the rigging, but the sails here look nice. I've got plenty of time to think about it, since it will be months before the model will be ready for the sails. Max gets much of the credit for me wanting to build this one; I've wanted to for years, but lacked confidence to tackle it.
Happy Holidays to all, regardless of which particular holidays you celebrate! I hope everyone is safe, happy, comfortable, and that 2020 is good to us all!

Best regards,
Peter

The Constructo kit of Her Majesty's Ship Victory was under the tree this morning, because my wife is much nicer to me than I probably deserve. In fact, the box is much bigger than the tree. I can't start on it for a few days, since I need to clear out a work space.
I plan to build it with the gun ports closed, which is the way they would be most of the time. I'm of two minds about the sails; in the past I have generally built my models without sails, which allows a better view of the rigging, but the sails here look nice. I've got plenty of time to think about it, since it will be months before the model will be ready for the sails. Max gets much of the credit for me wanting to build this one; I've wanted to for years, but lacked confidence to tackle it.
Happy Holidays to all, regardless of which particular holidays you celebrate! I hope everyone is safe, happy, comfortable, and that 2020 is good to us all!

Best regards,
Peter
Will wait for your build log, Peter. Happy Holidays! :)

Best regards,
Peter

That's a very great present from your Wife, congratulations, Peter.

Hopefully, we will see a build log from your side very soon.

Finished frame 16 curving part. I spend 1.5 hours or so.

frame-16-cut.png

Then the part no 30 should be glued and nailed to the false keel and the frame. I will have a look more on it, maybe I will spot that I have to sand a little bit more.

frame-16-curve.png

I also started putting numbers for parts as my instruction book says to use something like 31, 34 which I've had no idea what it is.
numbers.png

Hello friends,

I've uploaded a new video on how I build my H.M.S. Victory model.

In the H.M.S. Victory wooden ship model Skeleton | Part #4 video, I talk about:
  • Issues with 90 degrees and how I found a solution
  • How to use a paper and foil
  • Marking parts with numbers
  • [Bonus] Ship of Scales forum review
  • [Bonus] My SOS Build Log

Let me know what you think.
In the meantime, I am working on the plunking, an update is coming.

Back