Half Moon (Corel) (SM18) 1:50 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

And I thought things were going well... I've made a serious mistake. I didn't plank the stern correctly. I just checked other's builds and see where I went wrong.

Stern should be planked like this...
IMG_2252.JPG

IMG_2253.JPG

This is how I planked the stern...
IMG_2251.JPG

Should I just continue and apply the 2nd planking the same way and stain the keel a dark color? Or should I try to correct this with basswood filler?

Suggestions please.

Hi Rob! Neither the drawing nor the photograph in the instructions is correct either.

微信图片_20220804211957.jpgOn Dutch ships, the garboard strake and the one or two strakes (depending on the ship) following it, extended all the way to the end of the sternpost. This was done to provide extra strength to the sternpost on which the rudder is mounted. This would prevent the rudder from shearing loose from the ship in heavy weather.

e5717ef8a673330d10502ebe995afde0e475e03f2b2003d8f7181edde35917b8.jpg
Here you can clearly see the bottom two strakes extending to the end of the sternpost.

Whether you have to try and change it or leave it like it is, is up to you.

Hi Rob! Neither the drawing nor the photograph in the instructions is correct either.

View attachment 324851On Dutch ships, the garboard strake and the one or two strakes (depending on the ship) following it, extended all the way to the end of the sternpost. This was done to provide extra strength to the sternpost on which the rudder is mounted. This would prevent the rudder from shearing loose from the ship in heavy weather.

View attachment 324857
Here you can clearly see the bottom two strakes extending to the end of the sternpost.

Whether you have to try and change it or leave it like it is, is up to you.
Excellent Heinrich. Rob I would correct the thinkness and length of those planks now. It doesn’t matter what it looks like as long as the shape is correct for the 2nd layer. It definitely can be rectified. Heinrich has shown what to do for the 2nd layer and you will get this really good. Heinrich Point is valid tho - the great thing about this hobby it is your ship and the choice is yours. Cheers Grant

Thank you GrantTyler. I was thinking I'd just leave it. After reading your post, now I'm thinking I may cut out the incorrect planks back to a bulkhead and put them back in right. Taking a break - I'll think it over.

Absolutely perfect and very rewarding to know that it is done exactly right! Kudos to you for taking that bold step - your build has just taken on another dimension! Thumbsup

Was staining some pieces to see what the color looks like. OOPS. I was thinking of staining the keel. Now I can see what it looks like! ROTF
IMG_2272.JPGIMG_2275.JPG

I had striped and cut some planking pieces for the deck. I'll call that practice and cut some more.
IMG_2273.JPG
This is what they should look like.
IMG_2274.JPG

Not really the way to start another ship building day. I have plenty of Alaskan Cedar to cut more decking strips. :rolleyes:

Back