Half Moon (Corel) (SM18) 1:50 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

I ripped some maple decking planks. My estimate is about 20mm for a 20' actual plank (1:50). Think that's to long? I'm thinking about making some tree nail marks on the planks. About how how far apart should they be on the 20mm plank? Image is the 20mm planks

IMG_2207.JPG

I figure the bulkheads are roughly where the beams are. The treenails have to nail into the beams beneath; otherwise, they’re nailing into air. Twenty feet might work, depending on where the beams are. I use a pencil to mark the beams across the false deck. Then I use the marks to determine where planks end or treenails need to go. I hope that helps. Other more experienced modelers may have something different to say.

I also ripped some swiss pear. both are swill pear. top is covered with thin ca and scrapped. bottom is coated with an ultra matt poly. Need to decide on what woods for hull before selecting decking. Actually I ripped quite a few different woods. Boxwood looks good too.

IMG_2208.JPG

Hello Rob. I'm afraid I can't help you there. At this scale and with the size of the full-sized ship, I do not bother with treenails. If you can see them, they are out of scale. Also remember that it is a Dutch Ship, which means that it probably used an irregular planking pattern - i.e., no pattern. The Dutch used whatever plank was next at hand so there is no such thing as 3-4-or 5-butt planking system.

Close up of the deck of the replica ship of Willem Barentsz.

Pagina 26 No 6.jpg
You have to look REALLY close to see those few treenails - which are only visible because of the light. Once you have reduced those in size by a factor fifty, I can assure you they will be invisible!

Good info. Thanks Heinrich. That's a thought on no pattern. I'd probably really mess that up. ROTF Will think about it. I'll likely use some normal pattern on planking and maybe small treenails. Something like .3mm. I'll try it out first.

I re-read your post now. I actually went and measured some deck plank lengths on my Willem Barentsz #1.

微信图片_20220817060618.jpg

My shortest plank is 20mm. Some are 55mm, some are 60, but my average plank length is 70mm. If you are only going to use 20mm lengths, simulate caulking and then add treenails at both ends of the plank you are going to end up with a deck that looks extremely cluttered!

But ... you are the captain!

Darn. I reread my post too. That should have been 120mm for a 20' plank at 1:50. I said 20mm. The cut planks in the image are actually 120mm.

Heinrich. 70mm is about 11.5' and 55mm is about 9'. Why did you use those numbers? And why did you use 3 different sizes. Looks like you used a random spacing. Is that correct?

Correct - that is what I meant by saying that Dutch ships had no pattern or fixed lengths. They used whatever fell to hand!

It is interesting that you had to do so much work to get those bulkheads to work. I recently completed Corel's Le Mirage and I too thought there were some bulkheads that were out of place. At that time, I had decided to ignore the instructions and put the bulkheads where I thought they looked the best. To further complicate my build, the bulkheads had grooves in them that were used to align the cannon ports. My rearranging of the "trouble bulkheads" also fixed this problem too. So, I therefore concluded that there were some improperly labelled bulkheads. Whether they were or not, I am not sure, but all I know is moving them around worked for me.

Do you have those same grooves for the cannon ports?

Last edited:
Yes Jack Sparrow. There were grooves. But they were not close to being usable as they all over the place. One couldn't run a plank along and make them match up. I used a waterline marker on each side of the ship to make sure the reference plank for the ports was correct. I used the plans to find the correct distance from the bottom of the keel to where the plank should be placed on each bulkhead, to be in the correct place for the canon ports.

Last edited:
Correct - that is what I meant by saying that Dutch ships had no pattern or fixed lengths. They used whatever fell to hand!
I don't really care too about being period or country correct. But I do like what you say. Might be enjoyable to move planking ends around. What about plank width. The plank where the arrow is (and also under the life ring) in your image are wider than those around it. And the texture of that plank is different too.

Last edited:
Hi Rob. If some planks appear wider, then it is simply distortion by the camera. They are all 4mm wide. The wood that I used for the deck planking is the kit-supplied Abachi and I built like the Dutch Shipwrights. I did not pre-select any planks or pay attention to grain - I simply took the next one from the box! :D

By the way, @Kolderstok's next kit that will be developed, is D' Halve Maen based on the drawings and plans of an ex-curator of the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, Dr. F. Baay.

Boek De Halve Maen.jpeg

'

Back