YUANQING BLUENOSE - Heinrich

Heinrich

Staff member
Bluenose Moderator

With so much being said about the YuanQing Bluenose and with the tremendous response the kit has caused on SOS - and other forums - the time has come to start the actual building of the kit. I am not going to say anything more about the Kit Review - it available on the Bluenose Group Build and under the Kit Review section where it has rewritten all SOS records for a kit review. (The last time I checked, the views were well over 9 000!)

As promised, we started doing the translation (thanks Admiral Anna), but I quickly realised that the only way to create a truly accurate instruction manual is in conjunction with the actual build. Only there will we discover the pitfalls that cause the downfall of many an instruction manual.

So let's see how the assembly the building jig pans out. First off, the kit provides you with 4 very large-sized sheets with drawings and plans on both sides - thus 8 in total. Two of those are important and pertain to the jig assembly. First, there is the Parts Checklist and secondly, the actual jig-assembly drawing itself.

Jig Assembly Drawing.png

The above picture from the Parts Check-list, shows the sheet used for the jig assembly. I am so happy to report that it is NOT MDF (highly toxic when sanded or filed and don't get water near it) or Plywood (susceptible to warping), but a 4mm thick Sycamore sheet of wood.

Build 2.jpg

In real life, this is what the drawing shows. Parts 1, 2 and 3 which will be needed for the jig are clearly marked.

Build 1.jpg

The first thing to do before any jig assembly (or keel and rib-assembly for that matter) takes place, is to make sure that your working surface is absolutely level.

Build 3.jpg

Parts #2 and #3 were then removed the sheet using an X-Acto knife which was as easy falling out of a tree. The laser-cutting is very precise, and once you have cut through the tabs, the parts come out easily. I do apologise for my luxurious blue bedsheet that went AWOL for this picture, but it was subjected to a quick ironing by the Admiral. :)

Build 4.jpg

The centre piece removed from the board looks like this. Note that the other two empty slots belong Part #3 which are used as end pieces in the jig.

Jig Assembly.png

This then the actual assembly drawing which shows Parts #2 glued to the board (Part #1) lengthwise and Parts #3 which close the "box" at the end. Assembly of the jig was very easy and everything fit together very well. Here, I did not bother with sanding away the laser char, as it is purely cosmetic and bears no influence of the functionality of the jig.

Build 5.jpg
The assembled jig from the bottom (yes I am right!)

Build 6.jpg

And from the top. Remember, this is the side on which we will be building - hence its designation as the "top" side.

And that concludes the jig assembly. All done in a morning which includes the drying time of the PVA. It was all very straightforward, and will not present any problems. Next up, YuanQing suggests starting with the assembly of the ribs - and they are right of course - but I found the keel more interesting!

Thank you all so much for watching and following - and for those of you who have ordered this kit - I believe you are in for a treat!

Kind regards - Heinrich

@Peter Voogt Hi Peter. Thanks for dropping in. I am busy with the keel now and have already discovered that she likes a certain sequence. Without actually building the keel, for instance, I would not have known that. No chance of me keeping ahead with Bluenose - the Haarlem will see to that!:)

Hello Heinrich , i must have been a'sleep for the last few weeks, for i just found this part of the SOS forum.
What a magnificent model you introduced here. I wish you much pleasure in building this beautifull ship, And i wil drop in on a regular basis to take a look

Regards Peter

Welcome back!

As I've said in my previous post, the assembly of the 58 frames is next, but I really wanted to do the keel first to see how the assembly goes and also to compare of other start of the builds currently in progress.

So, for this purpose, we once more have a look at our Parts Checklist Inventory where we find the drawing below.

Build 9.png

So we know that Parts #8 and #9 will be used for this section, but to see how, we now look at our actual assembly drawing. You will notice that I have deleted the bottom half of the drawing as that will only come into play later.

Build 10.png

The first step is to glue Part #8 and Part #9 together via the scarph joint indicated in the drawing above. For this step please make sure that you work on an absolutely flat and level area as any misalignment here will result in a warped keel assembly. I do this on top of a glass table and use heavy clamps to hold down the parts while the glue dries. An interesting variation used by some builders, is the addition of Indian Ink to the PVA glue to give a blackened joint line. However, I have no idea of how this influences the adhesive properties of the glue. so I stayed well clear of such antics.

Build 11.jpg

Here are parts #9 and #8 joined together as indicated by red joint line.

Build 13.jpg
Now a word on the removal of the laser char. Normally, I am not too perturbed by that as it has absolutely no effect on the bonding strength of joints, BUT here, I did remove the laser char. There are two reasons: for cosmetic purposes and to make sure that I get the tightest possible fit between parts. I took great care sanding the laser tabs smooth with 340-grit sandpaper but did not overdo things. When working with sandpaper, make sure that you do NOT inadvertently give the square parts a rounded edge.

For the further assembly of the keel it was back to the Parts Inventory.

Keel Drawing.png

This drawing indicates that Parts #10-16 will be used in this phase, but for the time being, we can first ignore #Part 16. Once again I also refer you to the Assembly drawing above (Fig. 3) I dry-fitted all these parts in various sequences to try and figure out what works best. It is by no means inscribed in stone; it is merely a suggestion from my side, but for me it worked well, so it is not necessary for you to re-invent the wheel ... unless you want to, of course. :)

The first step was to glue Part #11 to Part #10.

Build 14.jpg

Once again, only the laser tabs were sanded smooth before assembling the two parts. As you can see the fit and resultant joints are perfect.

Build 15.jpg
This is followed by keel Part #12 glued to the underside of Part #11. And after this little section is assembled, the flipside looks as follows.

Build 16.jpg

Now bear in mind that the complete Bluenose keel actually comprises of three keel sections - an inner one and two outer or "cheek" keels on either side of the centre one. This first assembly process only focuses on the centre keel, so there is still a long way to go. Now for the marriage of this assembled little section to our assembly comprising of Parts #8 and 9, you will have to wait a little while - they are in the clamps drying!

WOW WAY TO GO HEINRICH WAY TO GO, FANTASTIC GREAT EXPLANATIONS ESPECIALLY FOR MEMBERS LIKE MYSELF.KEEP IT GOING FRIEND. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON
Don, my friend you say for members like you. Let me tell you - this is my first POF build and I am figuring this out step by step myself. I wrote the log so that I could understand it - and if I can understand it, so can everyone else. ROTF

Well I'm confused already, don't take much, I have never seen a jig like that sitting flat on the work surface. So in "Fig 1" it is upside down?o_O Please keep going @Heinrich!
Hello Don. It does looks strange doesn't it? But remember, we are building upside down - Hahn style.

微信图片_20201113075333.jpg

Here you can clearly see the jig the "wrong" side - which is the "right" ROTFside, up!

Hello Heinrich , i must have been a'sleep for the last few weeks, for i just found this part of the SOS forum.
What a magnificent model you introduced here. I wish you much pleasure in building this beautifull ship, And i wil drop in on a regular basis to take a look

Regards Peter
Hellp Peter, my friend! I am SO glad you can join us in this build! Yes - now you know why I have been so quiet on modelbouwforum.nl lately. But as soon as I have settled down into a nice build here, I will start the log for all my Dutch friends as well!

HEINRICH I SAY THIS BECAUSE I AM DYSLEXA AND IT TAKES ME A WHILE TO ABSORB INSTRUCTIONS SOMETIMES EVENTUALY I DO GET IT, SO BEAR WITH ME IF I REPEAT MYSELF WITH NOT UNDERSTANDING THINGS READLY WHAT I DO IF THAT HAPPENS IS BY PMS IF THAT IS OK SO AS NOT TO DISTURB THE LOG. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

HEINRICH I SAY THIS BECAUSE I AM DYSLEXA AND IT TAKES ME A WHILE TO ABSORB INSTRUCTIONS SOMETIMES EVENTUALY I DO GET IT, SO BEAR WITH ME IF I REPEAT MYSELF WITH NOT UNDERSTANDING THINGS READLY WHAT I DO IF THAT HAPPENS IS BY PMS IF THAT IS OK SO AS NOT TO DISTURB THE LOG. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Don you are my friend. And friends do not disturb each other. So whichever way you want to ask my help is fine by me!

Back