Halve Maen (Half Moon) 1:50 Corel kit [COMPLETED BUILD]

Guys I can tell you - when it comes to Dutch ships, @Maarten is the authority. I for one am very happy to see him build a Dutch ship next. If you want to see something truly special, follow Maarten's build log of the Royal Caroline and watch a master at work!

9F4203B8-A8E4-45F4-A51C-8BE9C72759E4.jpeg
Happy to see another Halve Maen build. I am working on one also (Half Moon). Looks like it's coming along nicely. I was a bit disappointed in the inconsistency of the walnut included in the kit at this stage--and it looks like yours had something similar. Do you plan to do any painting or staining at all?

Hello Heinrich, Thank you. Kolderstok makes great kits, my next model will be from Kolderstok. I have seen your log and will follow your progress with great interrest
I'm just loving what seems like a sudden renaissance of Dutch ship building among the group. :)

But the knowledge about this is increased enormously in the last 30 years.
There is an excellent book on this method recently published by @Ab Hoving -- essentially a translation/elucidation of Nicolaes Witsen's work on Dutch shipbuilding from this period, published out of the Nautical Archaeology program at Texas A&M. In addition to providing detailed coverage of the Dutch shell first method, Dr. Hoving also includes some excellent images of models that followed this process. An excellent addition to the modeling library of any Dutch ship lover, even if it is a bit pricey.

Hoving, A. J., Wildeman, D., & Sleeswyk, A. W. (2012). Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age (A. Lemmers, Trans.). Texas A&M University Press. (https://www.amazon.com/Nicolaes-Shi...keywords=nicolae+witsen&qid=1597371968&sr=8-1)

Attachments

• 1597371850871.png
    1597371850871.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 15
There is an excellent book on this method recently published by @Ab Hoving -- essentially a translation/elucidation of Nicolaes Witsen's work on Dutch shipbuilding from this period, published out of the Nautical Archaeology program at Texas A&M. In addition to providing detailed coverage of the Dutch shell first method, Dr. Hoving also includes some excellent images of models that followed this process. An excellent addition to the modeling library of any Dutch ship lover, even if it is a bit pricey.

Hoving, A. J., Wildeman, D., & Sleeswyk, A. W. (2012). Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age (A. Lemmers, Trans.). Texas A&M University Press. (https://www.amazon.com/Nicolaes-Shi...keywords=nicolae+witsen&qid=1597371968&sr=8-1)
Thx, I have the Dutch version of this one and it is indeed an excellent book. With it you c a n build the example ship that Witsen used as a template for his book.

Happy to see another Halve Maen build. I am working on one also (Half Moon). Looks like it's coming along nicely. I was a bit disappointed in the inconsistency of the walnut included in the kit at this stage--and it looks like yours had something similar. Do you plan to do any painting or staining at all?
Hello Eric, I do not mind the inconsistency of the walnut. Next model of mine will be made of oak! The colour of the first planking Tanganika I do not like, so the inside of the gangboard I want to cover with walnut. Covering the inside is not indicated in the building plan as there is not enough walnut in de box.

Attachments

• 8DDBD1E5-585A-45E9-9A2D-48B60B02D133.jpeg
    8DDBD1E5-585A-45E9-9A2D-48B60B02D133.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 16

Thanks Eric,

I will order this book immediately.

I Have ordered this book as Kindle e-book. At first glance it look good! It contains many more drawings than the book I discussed in this log before. For me as an engineer much more appropriate

Very nice build. I have the Batavia kit and also visited the ship in Lelystad. We are also lucky here in Aus, as there are 2 Batavia museums and the Duyfken replica , moored in our port of Fremantle. Have had a short 4 hour tour on the Duyfken, on our Swan river, it was wonderful. It's a fully operational , working replica. Good luck with the Halve Maen.

Very nice build. I have the Batavia kit and also visited the ship in Lelystad. We are also lucky here in Aus, as there are 2 Batavia museums and the Duyfken replica , moored in our port of Fremantle. Have had a short 4 hour tour on the Duyfken, on our Swan river, it was wonderful. It's a fully operational , working replica. Good luck with the Halve Maen.
Thank you Frankie,

I am interested in the deck details of the Duyfken replica. I did not found proper photo’s of the walls on internet. The walls of the Halve Maen replica are all closed, with small doors. This door is just visible behind the man. I was informed that extensive research is done for the Duyfken, so I very interested in the layout of the Duyfken deck.
56C50D69-68D7-46C3-BC93-9009B71AD025.jpeg

C459A99F-9388-4989-AC23-17286B47437B.jpeg

The Corel drawings indicate an open wall structure.

Last edited:
Planking the walls with walnut

Last week I covered the walls with walnut. Unfortunately there was not enough walnut planking in the box. Luckily I was able to buy 10 mm wide planking in Rotterdam. Thickness 0,6 mm, the colour is much more consistent than those supplied by Corel.

19C3A9A3-568D-46C7-9E93-B3AD4BC20E72.jpeg

The 10 mm planks were cut into strips of 3-4 mm. Each side was sanded. With these I could make realistic walls:

98239C7B-9477-4DF2-BE7A-571FDC7BC79F.jpeg

Bulkhead frames not symmetrical

The bulkhead frames are not symmetrical so in order to make the opening in the back wall of the main deck symmetric I placed tree walnut frames. Two at starboard, one at port. Those Walnut frames I placed where not indicated at the drawings.

03F561B8-A9BD-4895-A195-C592CE4C76F4.jpeg

B8655C9D-BBE6-46DA-866B-B0D99A434BDA.jpeg
finished wall

Covering the lockers on the main deck

According to the Corel building plan the lockers on the main deck should be covered with walnut planking simultaneously with the walls. The planking
be about 1,5 mm thick. The new 10 mm walnut planks I just bought are 0,6 mm thick, so I had to construct some parts of the lockers:

B082A930-D554-4AB2-B5E1-22F9F4C0D57C.jpeg
C32FF31C-1BA9-4E84-A635-A3B20E9833E5.jpeg
New locker lids

EDF99B47-69FD-4574-A267-6C495FBED819.jpeg
finished lockers

Last edited:
I took some photos when i viewed the Duyfken with my grandson, I believe these pics are glimpses into the area you are referring to. Can't quite see but i believe they are open. Does this help?. I can always do another visit, it would be a pleasure. Veel geluk. Just realised these pics are looking forward , where I believe you are looking for pics to the stern? Where's the pic you have there taken? Anyway, very happy to get the pics you're after, it would be a beautiful daytrip for me.DSC00946.JPGDSC00954.JPG

Last edited:
C
I took some photos when i viewed the Duyfken with my grandson, I believe these pics are glimpses into the area you are referring to. Can't quite see but i believe they are open. Does this help?. I can always do another visit, it would be a pleasure. Veel geluk. Just realised these pics are looking forward , where I believe you are looking for pics to the stern?View attachment 174383View attachment 174384
Thanks! For now they are very helpful. I am not sure if the Halve Maen replica is as accurate as the Duyfken and the Batavia. About 15 years ago I had visited Fremantle shipwrecks museum. At that time I was focused on the Batavia with I frequently visited in Holland. I do not remember having seen the Duyfken

Last edited:
C

Thanks! For now they are very helpful. I am not sure if the Halve Maen replica is as accurate as the Duyfken and the Batavia. About ten years ago I had visited Fremantle shipwrecks museum. At that time I was focused on the Batavia with I frequently visited in Holland.
The Halve Maen and the Duyfken are ships of very much the same time, 1606 versus 1609, so I'm thinking the replicas are very similar and accurate, the Dutch are very particular about that, I can get whatever pics you want from the Duyfken, it's a 30 min drive for me, it would be a pleasure. I have a very big Dutch background and have the Batavia kit, so I'm all ears with anything to do with our heritage. Ik hou van Australie en van Holland ook. Cheers.

Planking the deck

Caulking the deck

Corel advises to blacken the edges/sides of all the planks with a pencil. So I did sand all the sides of the planks and marked each side with a back pencil. Then I sanded the sides to make the colour less pronounced.

AE872158-D4DE-4237-AE46-D8807DA44332.jpeg

The end result looked like this:
4057D210-ED4E-4213-8E14-7B8D38FB7050.jpeg

I did not like the result at all! It was to pronounced. Maybe its the pale colour of the wood. At this forum I see deck planking with or without caulking. I decided to
do the planking again without caulking.

Last edited:
Thanks. The replica of the Halve Mean is made in the USA, not by the Dutch. I do not know the accuracy but last 30 years lots of research is done. The books I have read/ am reading mention the Duyfken as an accurate ship.

Last edited:
Planking the deck

Caulking the deck

Corel advises to blacken the edges/sides of all the planks with a pencil.

View attachment 174388
View attachment 174389

I did not like the result at all! It was to pronounced. At this forum I see deck planking with or without caulking. I decided to
do the planking again without caulking.
Not sure what happened but I've used pencil and it is very subtle, it should only give the slight appearance of an edge.20170716_013436.jpg

Back