Hayling Hoy of 1759

Very good work, my friend! As we say in Russia "in fear of big eyes', It does look like you are fully enjoying the search build process, and I hear you! Keep up the great work, Mon Amie!

Very good work, my friend! As we say in Russia "in fear of big eyes', It does look like you are fully enjoying the search build process, and I hear you! Keep up the great work, Mon Amie!
Jim, I heard that expression before. There is something to it. I never liked drilling with bigger bits (1/8" or larger) in one go into already assembled pieces. So I'll start drilling through rising wood/keel with smaller bits and eventually ream. Frankly, I've never enjoyed ship modeling as much as I do with this build. My wife observed the same thing - no cursing and yelling from the basement!

Finally managed to finish the hockey stick. It took six weeks and I am at picture 1 in the monograph. There are 365 pictures. Little calculation reveals that model would be finished in approximately 42 years. Hopefully, things will speed up at some point. Thanks for all the comments and likes.

IMG_0455.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG

Finally managed to finish the hockey stick. It took six weeks and I am at picture 1 in the monograph. There are 365 pictures. Little calculation reveals that model would be finished in approximately 42 years. Hopefully, things will speed up at some point. Thanks for all the comments and likes.
Who said it will be easy, and you have to finish soon? Enjoy, even if it requires a couple of years. Isn't it all about the fun? ;) While you enjoying building, we will enjoy watching.

Can't stay out of trouble in this business. Cursing and swearing started. Built wing transom - fits like glove agains plans. Mounted wing transom on top of inner post - it's off center by ~1mm. Wtf? Great thing is that I'm happily married to particularly intelligent woman. She pointed out that either bolts holding keel down are not perpendicular to the board or back support is off center. Guess what - idiot me managed to mismark the center line on the back support. Once that was fixed, the rest was relatively easy. I also decided to build keelson at this time, a lot easier to find the true shape now, rather than later, once all the frames are erected. Here are few pics. Many thanks for stopping by.

IMG_0462.JPGIMG_0461.JPG
IMG_0465.JPG

My friend,
sometimes we are sweating, sometimes we are bleeding - but this is the salt in the soup and at the end we like it to solve these problems.
Very good, that your beloved admiral was bringing you back on the correct way - very good work

Many thanks for your kind words and likes. Fashion pieces have been added, at least fore pieces. Aft pieces, forming the rabbet for both, stern and hull planks will be added much later. Changing bevel makes it very difficult to make them out of one piece of wood. Preliminary bevel was sanded in. I left generous amount of wood (~1/16") for final fairing. Happy Sunday and happy modelling!

IMG_0467.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0469.JPG

Thank you Paul, I'm flattered, but I don't think it's a gift. Gifted people achieve much better results in much less time. I just keep redoing pieces over and over again until I'm satisfied.
This is exactly what is called a learning curve! I cannot remember how many submarines 'solid hulls' I made. But I learned how to shape the hull using bulkhead templates. ;) Repetition is one of the parts of the learning process. You are doing a great job, my friend!

Back