HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Heinrich, that model looks wonderful, especially the colour of the timber planking.
Thank you so much my friend! The color of the wood is one of my favorites about this ship!:)

Nights are made for ... working on the Willem Barentsz, of course!

微信图片_20220113095450.jpg
Gunports on the Port Side have been cut out, filler pieces are inserted and glued (the last two about 15 minutes ago - hence the clamps) and the first four lids have been glued back into position. Obviously no sanding has taken place yet.

微信图片_20220113095442.jpg

微信图片_20220113095458.jpg

Starboard side has been sanded and finished.

Nights are made for ... working on the Willem Barentsz, of course!

View attachment 282291
Gunports on the Port Side have been cut out, filler pieces are inserted and glued (the last two about 15 minutes ago - hence the clamps) and the first four lids have been glued back into position. Obviously no sanding has taken place yet.

View attachment 282292

View attachment 282293

Starboard side has been sanded and finished.
You owned that process Heinrich. You must be happy with this outcome.

You owned that process Heinrich. You must be happy with this outcome.
Thank you Grant! Yes, I am happy about the work that I have done - I don't think I could have done that any better. My only reservation is that the lids fit so well, that there might not be enough definition between the gunports and the hull. I just hope that when the oil is applied, it will accentuate the gunports adequately. :)

Dankjewel my vriend. Ek waardeer jou kommentaar oprecht.

Thank you my friend. I sincerely appreciate your kind words.

Thank you Ron. I am glad though that the WB only had 12 gunports. Can you imagine doing the 84 of the Zeven Provincien? :eek:

@RDN1954 Thank you very much Johan - I am happy that the gunports have been done. It is now almost 20 minutes past 8 in the evening and I have just told the admiral over supper that for the rest of the evening, this shipwright is just playing around on SOS - no building tonight. :). Tomorrow though, it's back at the grindstone!

@RDN1954 Thank you very much Johan - I am happy that the gunports have been done. It is now almost 20 minutes past 8 in the evening and I have just told the admiral over supper that for the rest of the evening, this shipwright is just playing around on SOS - no building tonight. :). Tomorrow though, it's back at the grindstone!

By all means, take Admiral time. Must keep ones priorities in place.

By all means, take Admiral time. Must keep ones priorities in place.
Hi Ron. The admiral has to finish a report which she needs to present tomorrow, so she is sitting in bed with her laptop. I will still be busy with the WB - I will just not be doing any actual building tonight. :)

So with the gunports out of the way, it is time for a further historical background update so let us turn our attention to the expedition and find out what transpired next.

As usual I will post both English as well as the old-Dutch as written by Gerrit de Veer in his diary for our Dutch members.

04.jpg
Art Work by Arnold de Lange (De Lange Maritiem) http://arnolddelange.nl/willem-barentsz/

With this piece I struggled with the translation so I hope I have it right. If I got something terribly wrong, I hope our Dutch members can put me right.

On the 21st of June we cast anchor in water with a depth of 18 fathoms. Jan Corneliszoon Rijp (captain of the second ship in the second expedition) went ashore to the western side of the land to collect ballast. There is no mention of how many men he took with him, but judging from the artwork, he obviously did take a few.

`Den 21.junij wierpen wijt ancker inden grondt op 18. vadem voort landt, ende wy ende Jan Cornelisz.(Rijp) volck voeren aende westzyde van´t landt, en haelden daer ballast`…

During all of Barentsz’s trips, polar bears were a constant threat and the third trip was no exception. During one such an occasion, a polar bear tried to climb into one of the row boats. Once again it is not mentioned with what intention the bear climbed into the boat, but we are probably correct in assuming that it did not pay the men a friendly visit. ;)
... we saw a white bear swim towards our sloop. We were forced to interrupt our work in order to protect ourselves. Jan Cornelissen* turned the sloop towards the bear and intercepted him, forcing him away from land. The bear turned around and swam seawards, whereafter we set chase after him.

... sagen wy een witten Beyr na ons schip swemme, daer deur wy van ons arbeyt af stonden, en vielen te boot,en Jan Cornelissen* volck mede, en royden beyden nae den Beyr toe, en onderschepten hem de wegh, en dreve hem van´t landt af. Hy swom ter zeewaert in, ende wy royden hem na`…

05.jpg
Art Work by Arnold de Lange (De Lange Maritiem) http://arnolddelange.nl/willem-barentsz/

It is not implicitly stated that the men killed the bear, but the next painting by Arnold de Lange portrays a slain bear hanging from the Barentsz. One can only gather from that they did kill the bear and that Jan Cornelissen* probably played a role in doing so.

* Jan Cornelissen was also the exact name of my late father so you can imagine that I find this piece of history quite co-incidental and speciaL.

06.jpg
Painting by Arnold de Lange (De Lange Maritiem) http://arnolddelange.nl/willem-barentsz/

This painting depicting the slain bear hanging from the side of the Barentsz is one of my all-time favorite paintings. There are a few significant things of interest in this painting. Note the two "chaloups" (sloops or lifeboats) next to the ship in the foreground and another next to the ship in the background. One of these sloops would play an instrumental role in the eventual survival of the men so it has significant historical importance. As such, @Kolderstok has included two of these lifeboats with the kit. Also note that with the ever-increasing presence of pack-ice, dropping temperatures and icy winds, the gunports are now depicted as closed and not open as in the previous paintings.

At this point a debate/argument ensued between Barentsz and Jan Corneliszoon Rijp about how best to proceed. They agreed to split up, with the latter returning to Spitsbergen in search of a Northwards passage between Spitsbergen and Greenland, whilst Barentsz would continue in a northeast direction. Rijp, however, was soon stranded in the ice and desperately tried to follow Barentsz. This failed and by the end of 1596, he was safely back in the Netherlands.

That is all for this chapter - stay tuned for the rest of the build and our next historical update.

So with the gunports out of the way, it is time for a further historical background update so let us turn our attention to the expedition and find out what transpired next.

As usual I will post both English as well as the old-Dutch as written by Gerrit de Veer in his diary for our Dutch members.

View attachment 282355

With this piece I struggled with the translation so I hope I have it right. If I got something terribly wrong, I hope our Dutch members can put me right.

On the 21st of June we cast anchor in water with a depth of 18 fathoms. Jan Corneliszoon Rijp (captain of the second ship in the second expedition) went ashore to the western side of the land to collect ballast. There is no mention of how many men he took with him, but judging from the artwork, he obviously did take a few.

`Den 21.junij wierpen wijt ancker inden grondt op 18. vadem voort landt, ende wy ende Jan Cornelisz.(Rijp) volck voeren aende westzyde van´t landt, en haelden daer ballast`…

During all of Barentsz’s trips, polar bears were a constant threat and the third trip was no exception. During one such an occasion, a polar bear tried to climb into one of the row boats. Once again it is not mentioned with what intention the bear climbed into the boat, but we are probably correct in assuming that it did not pay the men a friendly visit. ;)
... we saw a white bear swim towards our sloop. We were forced to interrupt our work in order to protect ourselves. Jan Cornelissen* turned the sloop towards the bear and intercepted him, forcing him away from land. The bear turned around and swam seawards, whereafter we set chase after him.

... sagen wy een witten Beyr na ons schip swemme, daer deur wy van ons arbeyt af stonden, en vielen te boot,en Jan Cornelissen* volck mede, en royden beyden nae den Beyr toe, en onderschepten hem de wegh, en dreve hem van´t landt af. Hy swom ter zeewaert in, ende wy royden hem na`…

View attachment 282360

It is not implicitly stated that the men killed the bear, but the next painting by Arnold de Lange portrays a slain bear hanging from the Barentsz. One can only gather from that they did kill the bear and that Jan Cornelissen* probably played a role in doing so.

* Jan Cornelissen was also the exact name of my late father so you can imagine that I find this piece of history quite co-incidental and speciaL.

View attachment 282361
Painting by Arnold de Lange (De Lange Maritiem) http://arnolddelange.nl/willem-barentsz/

This painting depicting the slain bear hanging from the side of the Barentsz is one of my all-time favorite paintings. There are a few significant things of interest in this painting. Note the two "chaloups" (sloops or lifeboats) next to the ship in the foreground and another next to the ship in the background. One of these sloops would play an instrumental role in the eventual survival of the men so it has significant historical importance. As such, @Kolderstok has included two of these lifeboats with the kit. Also note that with the ever-increasing presence of pack-ice, dropping temperatures and icy winds, the gunports are now depicted as closed and not open as in the previous paintings.

At this point a debate/argument ensued between Barentsz and Jan Corneliszoon Rijp about how best to proceed. They agreed to split up, with the latter returning to Spitsbergen in search of a Northwards passage between Spitsbergen and Greenland, whilst Barentsz would continue in a northeast direction. Rijp, however, was soon stranded in the ice and desperately tried to follow Barentsz. This failed and by the end of 1596, he was safely back in the Netherlands.

That is all for this chapter - stay tuned for the rest of the build and our next historical update.
Heinrich, please keep these historical background stories and pictures coming, it presents us the necessary context for the endeavor Willem Barentsz and his company undertook, but also for the Witte Swaen and the role it played in the history of the Netherlands.Thumbs-Up

Heinrich, please keep these historical background stories and pictures coming, it presents us the necessary context for the endeavor Willem Barentsz and his company undertook, but also for the Witte Swaen and the role it played in the history of the Netherlands.Thumbs-Up
Johan I am very happy that you are enjoying the historical part of the build log. You are so right - it is a vital part of History - not only of Dutch history, but of an event that was of international importance. Rest assured that I will continue to do so and I will also give additional information about the replica later on.

Johan I am very happy that you are enjoying the historical part of the build log. You are so right - it is a vital part of History - not only of Dutch history, but of an event that was of international importance. Rest assured that I will continue to do so and I will also give additional information about the replica later on.
Heinrich, I'm sorry having put so much emphasis on the significance of Willem Barentsz for the history of the Netherlands, but I can't help myself being proud of that part of our national history. Unfortunately, nowadays I find it hard to feel the same pride for our present day accomplishments, if any...
Fortunately though, we have Ships of Scale! :D

These historical parts are very informative parts during this build log, i love them to. ( both the log, and the history)
Thank you my friend, The support that I have been getting with this build of the WB has been incredible. I will continue to carry on in this manner.

Back