HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

@Dean62 That is the door that would lead to the captain's cabin and was used during the loading procedure when items of value, expensive liquor, or the money that would be used for trading would be loaded onto the ship. That way it was kept out of the eye of the general crew. When docked it also allowed for transport of a different sorts - discreet visits to the captain and officers by certain ladies. ;)
Ok, so only to be used when the ship is docked! ;)

Hummm, I guess that little door could be used to rid the ship of any undesirables while a sea.
Ron I don't think they bothered bringing the "undesirable" in through the captain's quarters. It would have been much easier just throw him overboard! :) But ... things were very different on the WB. Each day was started and concluded with a sermon and prayers, so I don't think the door would have served any untoward purpose.

So the day - which started so nicely by making a petite little door ...

View attachment 272753

Quickly turned into DEMOLITION Time!!!

View attachment 272765

And Voila !

View attachment 272766

And behind this frame is ample space for a scratch-built deck on which two beautiful, red gun carriages with bronze cannons can go! :)
I know what you mean when cutting into a really nice-looking planked segment. Your gunport and rudder openings look great! The wood color is just beautiful as well.

@Daniel20 Thank you very much Daniel. Yes, in the end I'm very happy about how all openings came out. Tomorrow I will put the red lining in the gun ports and can then glue the assembly to the frame. I quickly made up two gun carriages just to see if they fit behind the second-last and last frame - and they do! About the wood color - now you can see why I love your Vasa's appearance so much. I am a big fan of walnut for a hull.

Heinrich, I have tried to score/scribe details in as well and it always disappoints. I think you chose the right path forward. Of course, just because you have a hole doesn't mean you have to include artillery. You might choose to just make a door and keep it closed? I guess it all depends if there will be other guns or not. Love your work!

Heinrich, I have tried to score/scribe details in as well and it always disappoints. I think you chose the right path forward. Of course, just because you have a hole doesn't mean you have to include artillery. You might choose to just make a door and keep it closed? I guess it all depends if there will be other guns or not. Love your work!
Hi Paul. That is such a great reply. Scribing in my book is - at best - second best. So ... I am actually very glad tonight that I went that route. And, of course, you are perfectly correct! Just because there are "gun ports" does not mean there have to be guns.

01.jpg
This very beautiful painting by Arnold de Lange (De Lange Maritiem) depicts Barentz's two ships with all gun ports open with cannons - including those at the stern. This a route that may potentially be followed. And after my conversation with @Dean62 Dean about the door which I said was only used in the harbor - here we can see it wide open while the ship is underway. Maybe for ventilation ? ... I really don't know.

Hi Paul. That is such a great reply. Scribing in my book is - at best - second best. So ... I am actually very glad tonight that I went that route. And, of course, you are perfectly correct! Just because there are "gun ports" does not mean there have to be guns.

View attachment 272807
This very beautiful painting by Arnold de Lange (De Lange Maritiem) depicts Barentz's two ships with all gun ports open with cannons - including those at the stern. This a route that may potentially be followed. And after my conversation with @Dean62 Dean about the door which I said was only used in the harbor - here we can see it wide open while the ship is underway. Maybe for ventilation ? ... I really don't know.
From the looks of the size of the men, they would have to crawl through that door opening.

Thank you Roger. The planking came out very nice and I am happy with it. BUT ... I made a rookie mistake. The instructions clearly stipulated to use 1mm thick planks, but Heinrich used 1.5mm thick planks. Now I am having the world of trouble trying to get Frame #11 to fit properly. You can't just sand it thinner because then you change the angle. So ... where everything went well yesterday, today is just the opposite ... and it is all my own stupidity! :mad:
With your experience and expertise not so much a mistake as an adjustment to "olde worlde" ship building practices.

Back