HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Since it has been brought up (and mind you, I'm absolutely no expert on vessels of this era); almost invariably models are presented with all cannon ports opened. I would like to think that, while not in battle mode, the cannon ports would be closed to prevent excess water flooding the respective decks. Wouldn't these ports only be opened and the cannons be manoevered into position once a potential thread manifested itself?

Heinrich, a lovely build to watch!

Perhaps it was also a "door of ease", useful for those midnight occasions the seat was not needed?

You are off to a great start @Heinrich, the door frame fits perfectly.
Thank you Glenn. It could well have been used on those occasions! Yes, the fitment of door and frame is perfect, but that is kudos to Kolderstok.

Special Report: Overnight, as he slept comfortably in his bed, Heinrich lost complete control of his build log... :rolleyes: ROTF
Hi Paul. I LOVE it when I lose control of the log! That is exactly what I want to have happen - it made my morning! And as I have already mentioned to Glenn and Jim, I slept so comfortably that the door remain closed the whole night! ROTF

Since it has been brought up (and mind you, I'm absolutely no expert on vessels of this era); almost invariably models are presented with all cannon ports opened. I would like to think that, while not in battle mode, the cannon ports would be closed to prevent excess water flooding the respective decks. Wouldn't these ports only be opened and the cannons be manoevered into position once a potential thread manifested itself?

Heinrich, a lovely build to watch!
Johan, that is an extremely valid comment to make. Plus ... if we take into account the icy cold conditions that the men endured, it only makes sense to think that they would have closed everything up as well as they could. Many times artists render these ships with all gun ports open and cannons protruding for dramatic effect.

Just recently the Witte Swaen had its maiden trip, not under sail, but with a genuine 16th century diesel engine. ROTF
A noteworthy accomplishment and hopefully a motivation for builders around the world to have a go at Kolderstok's Witte Swaen (aka Willem Barentz).

Maiden trip Witte Swaen

PS Heinrich I know you can't watch YouTube, sorry.
Thank you very much for that information Johan. However, I can always ask my son in South Africa to try and download it for me. Be that as it may - it is wonderful that she has taken to sea for the first time. That is always an accomplishment when a piece of history is preserved.

Thanks for the link to the video. Wonderful
I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my kit although I must finish my current build before starting on the Witte Swaen.
Maybe I’ll just peak inside the box when it arrives. :))

Ron
Be careful of that peek inside the box ROTF. I am sure @Kolderstok Hans adds something to these kits that make them addictive. :)

Hi Jim and Glenn. I will let you know that I slept so well last night, that I did not even have to use the "door of Ease" once - a rarity taking into account how many cups of coffee a day I drink! ROTF
Well..., forgive me for my ignorance, does the coffee supposed to act as a diuretic? ROTFROTF

@rtibbs Thank you so much for the picture Ron! The maiden "sailing" was news to me - I did not know that. I once saw a documentary of the trip that the Batavia (the Lelystadt replica) undertook to Australia and that certainly gives one goosebumps.

Back