Trident Model - New Kit HMS Alert 1777 1:48 Plank on frame by Trident Models

If you order items on Ebay from China (jiangxuezuimei's site for example) shipping is often free and there is no apparent VAT/customs (unless that is all built into the cost of the item) so why would it be any different for the Alert kit? How does jiangxuezuimei do it??

If you order items on Ebay from China (jiangxuezuimei's site for example) shipping is often free and there is no apparent VAT/customs (unless that is all built into the cost of the item) so why would it be any different for the Alert kit? How does jiangxuezuimei do it??
I do not know if it differs from country to country. Serbia adopted common and unique EU customs tax list and applied our own laws and regulations to all imported goods.

1. Anything imported with value below $100 is free of duties.
2. Anything above $100 is under the common tariff and local VAT is applied to all cumulative import costs- meaning goods,value plus transport value, plus freight forwarder costs, and VAT above all of it, and all of that - regardless if it is from E-bay, Ali Express, or sent by mail, courier or whatever.

Having that in mind I usually purchase goods where I find very low or free shipping and split to multiple parcels valued slightly less than$100.

Due to the COvid-19 outbreak, most of the international flights are suspended or prices are dramatically increased- up to 15 times so there are almost no free, or low cost shipments form China, so some goods I was purchasing before simply are not worth to import anymore .

Here is the kit review

This is the response I received from jiangxuezuimei regarding VAT from China. I have ordered several items from the UK all VAT free so not all countries require VAT to be charged and exports are often exempt. Trying to research this regarding a particular country is very frustrating. Probably have to use most of my stimulus check for this one!

This is the response I received from jiangxuezuimei regarding VAT from China. I have ordered several items from the UK all VAT free so not all countries require VAT to be charged and exports are often exempt. Trying to research this regarding a particular country is very frustrating. Probably have to use most of my stimulus check for this one!
Look, it is not about Chinese VAT, any product to be sold in Serbia is value add taxed. including imported goods

VAT I am talking about is our local VAT which Serbian Ministry of finance charges on all goods, domestic or imported.
Customs duties/ tax are calculated on CIF (Cost Insurance Freight) destination airport price, and our local VAT is calculated on COF price + Customs duties price.
If my CIF price is below $100, nothing is additionally charged.
If my CIF price is above$100, all of above applies.

That is usual way in international trade

Last edited:
What's that old saying about death and taxes being the only two certainties in life?
You could probably add shipping costs to that list too! Somewhere along the line its been included in the final price.
I know dealing with UK and EU that most retailers reduce the price by the amount of VAT charged on the purchase.
(a lovely little bonus that helps overcome some of the shipping/exchange rate costs)
I know I often get charged the 10% Aussie VAT depending how I pay for the item (ebay, Amazon,Paypal etc.)

Whenever a seller in China is offering free shipping, it means that it will take weeks to get to it destination and the shipping costs are built in the sales price.
Clicking further on their site you will find the prices for faster service like DHL UPS and FEDEX . Usually around $100.00 per kit

Maybe some of you did not find until now, that I started already a building log of this kit.

View attachment 157967

So if you are interested, take a look:

Everybody (also members not building this kit) is invited to comment and participate in the communication in the Alert group build area, although not building this kit.
So you can easily and without any commitment join the group by yourself and get a "Group member"

Back