HMS ALERT 1777 cutter POF by shota70 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I know the feeling that accompanies the moments when a person who is not from our field looks at the model we built. I try to give them focused explanations that will create curiosity in them, especially among teenagers and young people.
I have a mission that I have taken upon myself for the next years to expose as many people as possible to the hobby and make young people want to start with this hobby in future.
I wish you success in that mission. It'll be very hard task. Persuade sb. to make a plastic model(tank,plane,figures etc.) is quite possible because it dosen't take that much time and it's very creative. Ship modeling requires the same skills as for plastic models but much more developped especialy patience and persistence. When a project takes a 1year plus instead of cople of months some people just get bored making only one model, but I'm very curious about the results of your mission.

As for your model I would advise to hold with cutting when you'll have some interior already done. Then you'll know what frames in what places to cut to get best view

good evening dear friends
Tonight I sat down to work for several hours during which I finished the initial cutting/sawing of the frames on the other side of the ship.
In the next two to three days I hope to continue the work of sanding the upper edges of the frames until uniform and smooth lines are achieved .
only after that I will continue to create the rectangular openings on the side of the ship.
The truth is that after removing the top part of the jig and creating the line of the upper deck edge you start to clearly see the structure of the ship more completely and this is also a little exciting. :)

good night dear friends

20230115_224135.jpg

20230115_223856.jpg

Hi Shota, I f you want to cut open the side you have to be aware of the rigidity of the remaining structure. Do the remaining parts of the frames you cut have sufficient support to stay in place after the cut. You will create this with the sandwich construction of the inner bullwark vs the outside planking of the wale and upper outside planking. If you don't have a sandwich structure in place yet I would wait with the cutting process until you have this, otherwise your frames will break.

Hi Shota, I f you want to cut open the side you have to be aware of the rigidity of the remaining structure. Do the remaining parts of the frames you cut have sufficient support to stay in place after the cut. You will create this with the sandwich construction of the inner bullwark vs the outside planking of the wale and upper outside planking. If you don't have a sandwich structure in place yet I would wait with the cutting process until you have this, otherwise your frames will break.
thank you very much for your support and guidance, my Dear friend :)

Today I finished sanding the upper edges of the frames on the right side of the ship.
20230117_212851.jpg
I also started to create the first opening on the left wall that is parallel and overlooks the area of the gunpowder room.
I managed to do an initial sanding, but I have more work to do on aligning the line along which the cut was made and more fine sanding.

I'll let you get an impression of the intermediate result, good night
20230117_210922.jpg20230117_211145.jpg20230117_212918.jpg20230117_213057.jpg20230117_213139.jpg

Today I finished opening the three rectangular hatches in the side of the ship.
I have more sanding work mainly on the left opening which allows a glimpse of the bow area and to apply oil to the areas that have been sanded.
I'll let you see the pictures and in the meantime good night again everyone
20230118_225541.jpg20230118_225659.jpg20230118_225710.jpg20230118_225723.jpg20230118_230312.jpg

Dear Shota you are a brave man. The cut-outs were done very well. I am not sure that I would have done that, but that is not the point. The starboard side with the varying wood colors looks superb!

Today I finished opening the three rectangular hatches in the side of the ship.
I have more sanding work mainly on the left opening which allows a glimpse of the bow area and to apply oil to the areas that have been sanded.
I'll let you see the pictures and in the meantime good night again everyone
View attachment 352174View attachment 352175View attachment 352176View attachment 352177View attachment 352178
Good morning Shota. Brilliant. I really enjoy this approach. I have not seen it done too often however looking forward I see this working so well. Cheers Grant

Great to see here in our forum the different ways of cutting openings or ships in half to get a better view to the interiors
There are so much variants possible, that the modelers can make a real unique model
Very good

Great to see here in our forum the different ways of cutting openings or ships in half to get a better view to the interiors
There are so much variants possible, that the modelers can make a real unique model
Very good
Good morning Shota. Brilliant. I really enjoy this approach. I have not seen it done too often however looking forward I see this working so well. Cheers Grant
Very nice !!! I like it a lot !!

Daniel
Dear Shota you are a brave man. The cut-outs were done very well. I am not sure that I would have done that, but that is not the point. The starboard side with the varying wood colors looks superb!
Dear Friends Thanks for the compliments, words of encouragement, likes and smiles Your support along the way fuels determination and the development of creativity in a challenging and enjoyable way :) Thumbsup

Tonight I finished the fine sanding with an emphasis on the edges of the ribs that were cut, both in the upper part on which the railing will be mounted as well as in the area of the square openings. I also applied teak oil to all the areas where the cuts and sanding were done.
After that I returned to gluing the planking to the side of the ship, when this time I completed the boards at the end closest to the bow of the ship in two rows. I also applied teak oil, except for the top/last row.
I just enjoy the process of creating this beautiful model

Good night friends :) :)
20230119_213102.jpg20230119_212949.jpg20230119_212942.jpg20230119_212925.jpg

Hi Shota. I was absent on your log for a while. But for now a big WOW! With your special way of sawing into the hull. Respect!
Regards, Peter
Dear Peter
thanks for your kind words and for the encouragement, I'm glad to know that you like my point of view on this model:)

Hi Shota,

Like the cut away sections, this is again a new approach to this model. Very nicely done.
thank you very much my dear friend for your support and kind words :) Especially in light of the fact that you and your work on your model are for me a model to learn from and a teacher to create

Good evening friends
This weekend I continued to make boards for the planking as well as assemble some of them on the ship.
I would like to elaborate a little on the milling process of the boards that creates a step at the end of the board (as I mentioned before, the planking is stepped).
I'm gluing to a double-sided adhesive paper 3 panels and another three on the nearest surface. I activate the milling process so that initially it creates a step in the two adjacent boards (in the movement the board is the first board and in the movement repeat the adjacent board). This method allowed me to make sure that the milling work is done straight. Then I perform a similar operation on the third panel at the top. This is how I achieve efficiency and accuracy from the process.

20230120_121441.jpg20230120_133120.jpgThis afternoon I continued to paste two more rows of the boards, when in the last row I intentionally left a space and so will be in the next row in a way that will create a rating.
I intend to leave a hexagonal area along its length so they can also see the frames below the planking.
At this stage of the work it's probably a bit difficult still want to see my plan, I believe and hope it will be clearer in a few rows of planks
I wish everyone a good and blessed week :)
20230121_215247.jpg20230121_215259.jpg20230121_215254.jpg

Back