HMS Alert by Jolley Roger

Yep I had 3 boards of parts like that and two where the parts were not cut deep enough. Blade breakers! I still cant figure how Maarten just tapped out the sawdust( I think he's pulling our legs a bit) . Mine was jammed in on most. Great work, good to see we're all close in progress.

Argh! The inevitable happened. The tip broke of the floor timber of frame 51 while I was busy filing it wider. Logically I attempted to glue back the broken off piece, as it is a perfect fit and would be almost invisible. Applied some PVA, picked the piece up with my tweezers and POOF! the piece is gone, blasted into the next dimension! Looked everywhere, on the table, on the floor. Gone. So I will attempt to fix this after the part is fitted to the keel. According to my calculations using the rules of Quantum physics(aka Murphy's Law) the broken of part will re-appear into our dimension exactly 24 hours after I haved fixed it. Be careful folks, those parts are fragile, especially 51/53/55/57!
IMG_20201021_065545.jpgIMG_20201021_065605.jpg

YEP! welcome to the busta rib club!. Use the pieces pushed out of the templates either sandwitched side of the rib end.
This will protect the end and give you the width size needed. You will find all the single Y ends are the same! BTW part sheet 14 is the same width as the keel so you can use it to measure gap.

Argh! The inevitable happened. The tip broke of the floor timber of frame 51 while I was busy filing it wider. Logically I attempted to glue back the broken off piece, as it is a perfect fit and would be almost invisible. Applied some PVA, picked the piece up with my tweezers and POOF! the piece is gone, blasted into the next dimension! Looked everywhere, on the table, on the floor. Gone. So I will attempt to fix this after the part is fitted to the keel. According to my calculations using the rules of Quantum physics(aka Murphy's Law) the broken of part will re-appear into our dimension exactly 24 hours after I haved fixed it. Be careful folks, those parts are fragile, especially 51/53/55/57!
View attachment 186764View attachment 186765
Three solutions for lost parts:
1) sweep the WHOLE floor
2) look for something else
3) Ask wife or kids to look for it

According to my calculations using the rules of Quantum physics(aka Murphy's Law) the broken of part will re-appear into our dimension exactly 24 hours after I haved fixed it.
Haha, so true.

When you look at the grain direction it's almost harder for the piece to stay attached.
Thanks for letting us know what to be very cautious of.
I suppose the only way to prevent this piece from snapping off is to hot glue or clamp a support piece of scrap wood on the external face to have more mass resisting the filing pressure.
Screen_Shot_2020-10-21_at_11_56_32_pm.jpg

Three solutions for lost parts:
1) sweep the WHOLE floor
2) look for something else
3) Ask wife or kids to look for it
My experience tells me that after your sweep the whole neighbourhood looking for the elusive piece, it was always just 20 cms away hiding under a tube of paint, inside an obscure orifice or fold in your shirt that you would never think to look.
So now my search for the missing Houdini pieces always start with the wacky places rather than the logical ones.

I'm very impressed with the wealth of information I'm getting from all of the builds. Looking forward to discovering my own problems with the my build. As for finding parts on the floor, which happens a lot since the cat seems to like small parts to play with, I use a strong flash light to make shadows making to errant part appear. Although, because of the cat sometimes I find them in another room.

Well that was fun!
The framing is now complete.
I does feel like a milestone has been reached.
IMG_20201107_092540.jpg

Next up will be fairing the inside, not much to be done, but it will keep me busy for a while.
Following @Jimsky 's advice i've made a little 'suharick' or sanding block out of some scrap wood to assist with the process. Thanks for the idea Jimsky.
IMG_20201101_134544.jpg

D'ont remove till you add the interior supports(deck supports), the ribs will move.(trust me!). Internal fairing is only nessesary near the bow. ( try the breast hooks for fit). Dont push two hard on it as you can break a rib internally( yep happend). To add the water wales & deck supports you will need to remove the lower external rib slots. The little hooks for the internal supports will not fit otherwise ( they are HOURS of JOY and FUN to install:rolleyes:( but are needed)) Just do one level at a time!.

Great Job. It is great to get to that stage.

I wasn't until you mentioned it!:D
I'm going to ignore the temptation for now and add some of the internal structure first to strengthen the hull a bit.
Do NOT attempt to remove from the jig!! I am in synch with Paul. You will need to reinforce the frames structure and install 'limber strake' (Parts DL01/02), an Upper strake of thickstuff footwailng, and other thickstuff...planks. Also, stern support will not allow removing, unless you will break the support. Be patient...
BTW, Congrats on your milestone, looks great!! Thumbs-Up

Here is the start of my buildlog for the Trident Model HMS Alert.
It seems i'm one of the lucky ones that received an Alert before the DHgate shutdown threw a spanner in the works.
The kit got delivered by Fedex, took 4 days from China to SA, then the local Fedex managed to bungle it up for another 10 days, three phone calls later and they managed to get it delivered to me in one piece. What a relief!
I guess most of you have seen the unboxing and review by Uwek (Alert unboxing), so I won't bore you with the same details.
I'm in no rush to build this kit, expect it will take me a year or two to complete, so everybody else will catch up with their builds in no time. Hope you get your Alerts Soon!

I've just about completed the cradle - i can just reiterate what has been said before - everything fits very well, a very light bit of sanding here and there and it slots right in, very impressive.
View attachment 175290
A quick dry fit of some keel components, with minimal cleanup, shows how accurate the CNC milling is
View attachment 175291
My workshop floor just about covered in wood! Gonna keep me busy for a while...
View attachment 175293
Hallo @Jolley Roger ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back