Hms Alert by Maarten [COMPLETED BUILD]

Dear Maarten
I need your help in understanding the rope that moves from the winch to the anchors on one side and on the other side to the belly of the ship.
I saw in your photos that one end goes down to the lowest deck and is placed in a snail shape and the other end is placed along the middle deck (The plan lacks a detailed reference to where the ends of the rope are located).
I would appreciate it if you or any other member could explain the installation route of the rope.
In fact, we are talking about two parallel ropes for each anchor and which go down from the winch to two holes to the belly of the ship, where one is placed in the middle deck and the other in the lower one in the form of a snail?
Any explanation, photos and drawings are most welcome.
I ask this to plan when to lay the rope as the later it may be more complex.
Thank youView attachment 376457View attachment 376458View attachment 376459
Hi Shota,

This was my own interpretation.
The SB cable is from the stored anchor (dry cable) going to the hold. The PS anchor cable is pulled in and wet, going to the tween deck to dry before being stored in the hold.

Wow, Maarten! This is exquisitely well-done, a fascinating display, and a very elegantly designed little ship. I'm sorry I haven't peaked in here, sooner. I am always on the look-out for really good, small plank-on-frame kits to get my feet wet with wooden construction. I really love the sheer-line of this ship with her half-round ports. I will be taking a closer look through your expert build. Well done!

Wow, Maarten! This is exquisitely well-done, a fascinating display, and a very elegantly designed little ship. I'm sorry I haven't peaked in here, sooner. I am always on the look-out for really good, small plank-on-frame kits to get my feet wet with wooden construction. I really love the sheer-line of this ship with her half-round ports. I will be taking a closer look through your expert build. Well done!
Hi Marc,

Thx for your comments and I can certainly recommend this kit. It is fun to build, straight forward and it builds into a really nice model in which you can put a lot of your own.
You will find plenty of different builds here of the same kit, all leading to something unique.

Hi Marc,

Thx for your comments and I can certainly recommend this kit. It is fun to build, straight forward and it builds into a really nice model in which you can put a lot of your own.
You will find plenty of different builds here of the same kit, all leading to something unique.

I have finished the cathead using the AotS drawings.
View attachment 340464

First colour it with black ecoline twice followed by a layer of clou. Then milling a profile in the sides.
Last is adding a iron clamp to its side and fitting two sheaves.
View attachment 340466

Fitting it on the inside bullwark supported by a knee on the outside.
View attachment 340465
Dear Maarten
I need your help please with the cathead.
I'm not sure I can find the third part that supports it to the top deck from the inside. Also, does the kit provide the round disks that are supposed to be inserted at the end of the cathead. I am attaching the pictures of the parts on the motherboards and the lead parts that are blackened.
Thanks in advance for your help
20230805_171535.jpg20230805_170954.jpg20230805_165409.jpg

Dear Maarten
I need your help please with the cathead.
I'm not sure I can find the third part that supports it to the top deck from the inside. Also, does the kit provide the round disks that are supposed to be inserted at the end of the cathead. I am attaching the pictures of the parts on the motherboards and the lead parts that are blackened.
Thanks in advance for your help
View attachment 388186View attachment 388187View attachment 388188
You won't believe what happened, minutes after I sent you the message / questions, apparently I found the part.:DROTF20230805_175144.jpg But I did not find the disk/thin cylinder

Next is my scratch build addition. The forward and aft bullwarks are planked inside and outside.
View attachment 324091

The forward side.
View attachment 324092

And the aft side.
View attachment 324093

For the outside I am inspired by the contemporary painting of Alert with the painted friezes.
View attachment 324095

To do this I use a technique of transfering a print to wood.
I use a hobby lacquer and put a layer on the plank and let it dry.
I prepared fitting friezes and put a thick layer of lacquer on the printed surface.
View attachment 324096

Put a layer of lacquer on the wood also and glue the image on top of the wood.
View attachment 324097

Let the glue dry, you see the backside of the paper.
View attachment 324108

When dry you wet the paper and carefully start rubbing it away using plentyfull water.
View attachment 324100
View attachment 324098

When the paper is rubbed away the image becomes visible.
View attachment 324099

Now cover it with lacquer, I use multiple layers of schellack.
View attachment 324101

My first idea was to highlight accents with oil paint put I don t think that is needed.

The friezes are fitted.
View attachment 324102
View attachment 324103
View attachment 324104

And an overview.
View attachment 324105
View attachment 324106
View attachment 324107

View attachment 324094

Is the lacquer water or oil based? I want to implement your method

Is the lacquer water or oil based? I want to implement your method
some reading