Henk

Just discovered and read your logbook
Nice work Keef, the frames look nice and clean and a and a great POF kit
There is still a lot to learn for me too
Keep posting your pictures, a pleasure to watch
I will follow you

Regards

Henk
Thank you very much Henk. It will great to have you on board :)

The frames and hawse pieces are looking very good
Very good and accurate work on a a very good kit with good material
Aren´t there some filler pieces between the hawse timbers - usually where the hawse holes for the anchor cable are ?

l am now exactly halfway with the hull frames. Lots of sanding and plenty more to come but we can get a good idea of the lines of this ship now. This kit goes together very well but a lot of care is needed when constructing the ribs, as the slightest error in making the joints will be magnified as you go along. l realised this with the first frame l made (No. 15) and l am not very happy with it as it stands a bit proud of all the others. With the exception of 1 other which stands out slightly from the others, they all seem to fit nicely and form a good shape

DSC04816.JPG

DSC04824.JPG

DSC04825.JPG

DSC04826.JPG

DSC04832.JPG

DSC04835.JPG

DSC04837.JPG

DSC04842.JPG

DSC04843.JPG

Well as you said the errors were on first frame built, you have learned to correct the errors very well based on look of all the others you have since completed.

If not to late to replace it, you might contact the manufacture and ask for a replacement set of frame parts for a new try at the bad frame.

l realised this with the first frame l made (No. 15) and l am not very happy with it as it stands a bit proud of all the others. With the exception of 1 other which stands out slightly from the others, they all seem to fit nicely and form a good shape
Looking very good - you are producing a very nice ships-hull my friend! Thumbsup

No.15 is this one, or (red arrow)?
DSC04842.JPG

Yes, this is the necessary learning curve.....
but I think it will be not a very big deal. The frames are long enough and flexibel, so I am pretty sure, that you can relatively easy bend the top of the frame 15 parallel with the others. I guess you have to fix all ends of the top timbers temporarely with a strip (green line) before you are able to make the internal sanding inside the hull.
BTW: Did you read my last question in post #84?

Well as you said the errors were on first frame built, you have learned to correct the errors very well based on look of all the others you have since completed.

If not to late to replace it, you might contact the manufacture and ask for a replacement set of frame parts for a new try at the bad frame.
Thanks Kurt. l'll give that a go
Looking very good - you are producing a very nice ships-hull my friend! Thumbsup

No.15 is this one, or (red arrow)?
View attachment 313774

Yes, this is the necessary learning curve.....
but I think it will be not a very big deal. The frames are long enough and flexibel, so I am pretty sure, that you can relatively easy bend the top of the frame 15 parallel with the others. I guess you have to fix all ends of the top timbers temporarely with a strip (green line) before you are able to make the internal sanding inside the hull.
BTW: Did you read my last question in post #84?
Thank you for your comments Uwe. The hull frames will be straighten up with spacers placed between every one when they are all completed and trimmed to their correct heights against the drawing. Yes l did see your comment about spacers in the hawse pieces. There is not mention of them in the diagrams of the instruction sheet, nor in the 'Anatomy of the Ship' of the Blandford, so l emailed Victor at Modelship Dockyard and he replied that they are not necessary but l could put them in if l wanted. lt is a matter of preference. The pieces are stable, so l will leave things as they are but thanks for bringing it up

When one sees the frames coming together in a POF-build, there's only one option left and that is to become hopelessly addicted to this build-type.
Your build, Keef, is no exception to that rule; kudos on a beautifully performed job so far.
And as for deviations from nominal; although most of us strive for perfection, for the mere mortals among us that's an unachievable goal. It's something I have difficulty with, but it's a fact of life.
Fortunately it appears that most models have sufficient build-in robustness to account for at least some deviations.
Looking forward to your next posts.

When one sees the frames coming together in a POF-build, there's only one option left and that is to become hopelessly addicted to this build-type.
Your build, Keef, is no exception to that rule; kudos on a beautifully performed job so far.
And as for deviations from nominal; although most of us strive for perfection, for the mere mortals among us that's an unachievable goal. It's something I have difficulty with, but it's a fact of life.
Fortunately it appears that most models have sufficient build-in robustness to account for at least some deviations.

Thank you very much for your comments. l really appreciate it

I too just discovered this great log. She's coming along beautifully!

The fact you oiled the jig, the color it gave it and the contrast between the frames and jig are very pleasing to my eye. Even the patterns made by the rubber bands is cool.

Glenn

I too just discovered this great log. She's coming along beautifully!

The fact you oiled the jig, the color it gave it and the contrast between the frames and jig are very pleasing to my eye. Even the patterns made by the rubber bands is cool.

Glenn
Thank you very much for you interest. l'm really glad you like it. l love the comment about the rubber bands :D

Hi everybody. I've been working on the stern cant frames and now they are finished l will enter some photos into my log. This is a very enjoyable experience for me. The kit is a joy to work with and l am very pleased with the result so far. None of these frames are actually glued yet, just dry fitted. l will do this next, apart from the last frame (No. 63) as this one will have the pieces for the transom attached when the hull frames are complete and taken out of the cradle for their final clean up. l have made the transom pieces but think they would be better fitted outside the cradle as the space is a bit limited.

DSC04855.JPG

DSC04856.JPG

DSC04859.JPG

DSC04862.JPG

DSC04866.JPG

DSC04869.JPG

DSC04876.JPG

DSC04881.JPG

DSC04883.JPG

DSC04887.JPG

DSC04890.JPG

DSC04896.JPG

DSC04901.JPG

DSC04906.JPG

Hi everybody. I've been working on the stern cant frames and now they are finished l will enter some photos into my log. This is a very enjoyable experience for me. The kit is a joy to work with and l am very pleased with the result so far. None of these frames are actually glued yet, just dry fitted. l will do this next, apart from the last frame (No. 63) as this one will have the pieces for the transom attached when the hull frames are complete and taken out of the cradle for their final clean up. l have made the transom pieces but think they would be better fitted outside the cradle as the space is a bit limited.

View attachment 316318

View attachment 316319

View attachment 316320

View attachment 316322

View attachment 316323

View attachment 316324

View attachment 316325

View attachment 316326

View attachment 316327

View attachment 316328

View attachment 316329

View attachment 316330

View attachment 316331

View attachment 316332
Those plank-on-frame kits are something else entirely.
Good looking sets of frames!

View attachment 316318

View attachment 316319

View attachment 316320

View attachment 316322

View attachment 316323

View attachment 316324

View attachment 316325

View attachment 316326

View attachment 316327

View attachment 316328

View attachment 316329

View attachment 316330