HMS Blandford Project Main Support Page

Mike41

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Welcome to the HMS Blandford Project.

PM @Donnie to request the full download zipped file.
News At this time, (12/12/2018) we are modifying our requirements to request the download, so please stay tuned.News

We will be building a cross-section of an early 18th century British 20 gunship at the mainmast. The purpose of this exercise is to introduce you to the process involved in building a model from scratch.

September 21:
When the project design is finalized, an announcement will be made to request the username and password to gain access to the "Downloads Page and Terms of Agreement". You can then PM (Private Message) Donnie for that info when the announcements take place here.
Thank you for taking interest in this fun project.
Septemper 22:
the BCS plans are in the final stages of completion and are not quite ready for download. We will keep you informed by following this support page.
Septemper 27:
The BCS plans are now released. If you want to participate, please PM (Private Message) @Donnie and the info will be sent to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Zoltan,
When the finished drawings are issued they will be in 1:48 and 1:32 scales with a small reference scale shown on the drawings.
Mike

Hi Mike,Is the cross section going to have a jig or just using the gantry board for the build?

Septemper 27:
The BCS plans are now released. If you want to participate, please PM (Private Message) Donnie and the info will be sent to you.

I'm planning a 1/32 scale build. Sheet 2 of the building jig has been changed, but the bill of materials still says the jig is 1' 1-1/2" (13-1/2") long. This should be corrected to 1' 1-5/8" (13-5/8") long in 1/32 scale.

Dave

I have contacted Mike about this and we will hear back from him soon on this.

September 28:
The drawings are correct the BOM is for the 1: 32 set only
We need to add the 1: 48 material list to the BOM
<i></i>

There is a new BOM (Bill of Materials) for PART 1 that has been revised and is available for download.
It includes parts for the 1:32 and 1:48 jig and keel, etc and other measurements as well.

For those that already have the link, just click on the BOM and download again.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but according to the BOM for a 1/32 scale build, the build board top and bottom should be 13-1/2" long. According to sheets 1 and 2 of the 1/32 scale plans the build board top and bottom measure 13-5/8". So which is correct? 13-1/2" or 13-5/8"? Somebody is going to get confused.

Dave

Here I go again showing my computer ignorance Donnie has set me up with the building log, now where do I go from here to download what is necessary, going into town on Sunday, as I can no longer Drive(5years and it still sucks) but it is what it is, so my SON-IN-LAW will be taking me shopping, and if I have what I need I can take to printers to get copies and order materials. THANKS FOR BEING PATIENT with me. Don Farr

OK GUYS GOT IT WILL GET PRINTS TOMMORROW, THANKS FOR BEARING WITH ME, WAS LOOKING IN WRONG PLACE. DON FARR ,,,,,, PS DO I TELL THE PRINTER TO MAKE PRINTS ACTUAL SIZE IS THAT THE WAY YOU DO IT. THANKS Don

Guys:

I found error in the BOM for 1/48 scale. The BOM calls for the keel and false keel to be 3/8" wide. On the plans, they measure 1/4". The 1/4" is correct. The 3/8" width is for 1/32 scale.

Dave

A recommended timber list has been added to the Bill of Material and is available for download.

Again PARDON MY IGNORANCE, where can I find my link, lost it somehow, getting confused and need to get the latest BOM do not know where to find it,.....am I correct in thinking that the 1/32 scale is the larger one,,,,, one other I think the patticipants should list the scale they are building in, I will get it soon so have paticence with me right know. Don PS where do I get the messages is it PMs to me or thru the notificationd on the Blanford site

Don: You should have a PM with the link to the download page as well as a user name and password. And yes, the 1/32 is the larger of the two.

Mike: In measuring the notches on the jig and keel plans on the 1/32 plans, the frames are just a hair under 9/16" thick if I were to file the notches wide enough to remove the lines. If I file up to the lines (leaving them) the notches are about 17/32". What is the final thickness of the frames? Do I cut and file up to the lines on the plans, or do I file away the lines? A difference of 1/32" plus or minus will make for a sloppy fit or be too tight for a frame to fit.

Dave

Hi Dave,
The frames are ½” thick and the notches in the jig should be slightly larger, 1/32” would not in my opinion be a sloppy fit. The best way to assure a good fit is to cut the notches a little smaller than the pattern and make a gauge out of the same type of wood you are using for the frames ½” wide and check the notches as you file them to the final width, see my build log.
The same file will print out differently on different printers it is difficult to hold a close tolerance using paper patterns.
Mike

Thanks, Mike. I figured the frames were 1/2". Tolerance creep is definitely an issue, though, and different printers do scale differently. I used Fed Ex Office to copy the .pdf files. At less than $0.50 per page, the 11" X 17" copies were a bargain!

Dave

Hi Dave something is wrong with the computer or the web page I can Not submit PMs when I hit submit nothing happens so messages not getting out, DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS,,,,,, Nothing in my PMs about the downloads, the last time I got IT WAS FROM NOTIFICATIONS BUT THAT IS GONE NOW, DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS, sorry to bother you, and I need the BOM as I failed to Download it, PLEASE HELP. DON Farr

Back